Apple unveils iPadOS, adding features specifically to iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Dead_Pool said:
    RIP, iPad. The simplicity and elegance is gone. Thumb drives? Those things were outdated during Obama’s first term. Steve Jobs’ dream is dead.
    You are very immature. Thumb drives are very alive and cloud solutions not reliable 100% of time. Did you ever thought of being out of grid and not having cloud around yet still use your data on external drive? Please do mature with your comments. Some of us lived a bit more scenarios than sitting home with Internet and WiFi or in all-inclusive resort with WiFi. I have not been able to use some Apple apps that require iCloud just because of remote location and I neede data that I own. External drive would come handy, but option was not available.
    Thanks for you comment. I love the new features. No matter what they do someone will complain. That’s what complainers do. You can’t expect different.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    iPadOS is really a mouthful!

They should have just named it pOS..;-)
  • Reply 23 of 38
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This was the first WWDC Keynote in a long time that really got me psyched up. 

But padOS was the high point for me. EVERYTHING I’ve wanted to be able to do with the iPad is in there I can’t wait. 
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Dead_Pool said:
    RIP, iPad. The simplicity and elegance is gone. Thumb drives? Those things were outdated during Obama’s first term. Steve Jobs’ dream is dead.
    Those things were sorely needed. The simplicity is still there if you want it. Just don't take advantage of the new capabilities.

It is incomprehensible that - simple - things like email attachments were such a headache for years.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    BayHorseBayHorse Posts: 12member
    Can we move any files to a thumb drive other than music or photos? What about Numbers, Pages, and other? Does “external drives” mean an SSD can be plugged into the newer iPads?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I look forward to use iPadOS... it offers what I want to see. And using my iPad as my secondary display as well. Apple is definitely making it a lot easier than ever. No more "hacks" with Luna or Duet. No more fiddling with bizarre File management (although File came out with iOS 12) and so on. Now with improved multitasking, it looks more and more like a power horse iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Dead_Pool said:
    There are many people who still use thumb drives, an dfor many things they are more convenient. The biggest advantage of a thumb drive is you know what’s on it. Have you ever tried using an ipad offline? Suddenly all your files are in absentia.  
  • Reply 28 of 38
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    So iPad OS does not have mouse support, something the whiners and perpetually disappointed crowd were clamoring for. Oh the humanity.
    This vile attack on others who have different hopes was so predictable but all-in-all these updates show that Marzipan introduced last year was just a down payment on a multiple year project to create a unified architecture across OSes that will enable apps to be run on multiple form factors that will include Mouse support on the iPad.   It begins with the new Accessibility feature for mouse support.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Wonder how slower it will be on A8 2GB iPad Mini?  I will wait to find out!  You cannot go back to previous iOS version with Apple!
    Assuming that you're speaking of a Mini-2, I don't think it will be supported.
    And, that would be consistent with the iPhone where the A8 iPhone 6 loses support.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 38
    jgojcaj said:
    Finally, they made iPad not an oversized version of the iPhone. I can finally do SOMETHING with it. CANNOT WAIT. 
    Yeh, the iPad has felt like a wild tiger locked in a cage waiting to get loose for awhile now...
  • Reply 31 of 38
    lkrupp said:
    So iPad OS does not have mouse support, something the whiners and perpetually disappointed crowd were clamoring for. Oh the humanity.
    It does now...  They just didn't announce it.
    I guess they didn't follow your wishes.   Too bad.  But I suspect you'll live.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    DAalseth said:

But padOS was the high point for me. EVERYTHING I’ve wanted to be able to do with the iPad is in there I can’t wait. 
    I agree!
    But they sort of glossed right over it and through it like it was just a few minor updates.   Hell, they didn't even announce that they had added a mouse/cursor to it!

I wonder if they are playing it down so as not to panic the Mac fans?
    Or, maybe they are going to release some spiffy hardware to match the new spiffy software in September and didn't want to steal their own thunder?

One option for September is that they could add a "trackpoint" to the Smart Keyboard like Lenovo Thinkpads have had for years:  it's a button squeezed between the G,B & H keys that can be used to move the cursor around much like a mouse or a touchpad.  That would work well on that keyboard without adding size or bulk and it would definitely add functionality for detailed work that requires fine control of a cursor.

• Reply 33 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    deminsd said:
    jgojcaj said:
    Finally, they made iPad not an oversized version of the iPhone. I can finally do SOMETHING with it. CANNOT WAIT. 
    I had high hopes that iPadOS would have mouse/pointer support.  Still nothing.  Bummed.

But, instead, I get to remember 50+ different multi-finger swipes, pinches, and swoops that I wouldn't need to if it supported a mouse.
    No, it will have mouse support. This has already been confirmed.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    crowley said:
    That pinned widget sidebar looks a fair bit like the Windows Vista Desktop Gadgets   :D
    What part of Windows doesn’t look like Mac OS it sprang to life as a blatant copy of all those years ago?
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 35 of 38
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    DAalseth said:

I agree!
    But they sort of glossed right over it and through it like it was just a few minor updates.   Hell, they didn't even announce that they had added a mouse/cursor to it!

I wonder if they are playing it down so as not to panic the Mac fans?
    Or, maybe they are going to release some spiffy hardware to match the new spiffy software in September and didn't want to steal their own thunder?

One option for September is that they could add a "trackpoint" to the Smart Keyboard like Lenovo Thinkpads have had for years:  it's a button squeezed between the G,B & H keys that can be used to move the cursor around much like a mouse or a touchpad.  That would work well on that keyboard without adding size or bulk and it would definitely add functionality for detailed work that requires fine control of a cursor.

• Reply 36 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Nice features!

Separating the iPad OS from iPhone OS was a long time coming, and I'm glad to see that the time has finally arrived.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    iPadOS felt over-complicated and less magical to me...

iOS is now for what? iPhone only? Maybe this is why they updated the iPod so "iOS" wouldn't sound as ridiculous. Was really cool when all iDevices were under iOS. It will be funny if iPhone goes back to iPhoneOS.

Fragmentation.... :/

Wonder how slower it will be on A8 2GB iPad Mini?  I will wait to find out!  You cannot go back to previous iOS version with Apple!

As opposed to the knockoffs that don't allow upgrade versions?  :D

Dead_Pool said:

I'm against supporting legacy hardware and would generally agree BUT
    Apple is supporting the feature over the single USB-C input. When I saw this I thought "fucking BRILLIANT". 100% optional, no extra ugliness. Don't need it? You won't notice it.

Meanwhile the knockoffs are sporting SD card ports (Yuck!).
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    iPadOS felt over-complicated and less magical to me...

iOS is now for what? iPhone only? Maybe this is why they updated the iPod so "iOS" wouldn't sound as ridiculous. Was really cool when all iDevices were under iOS. It will be funny if iPhone goes back to iPhoneOS.

Fragmentation.... :/

As opposed to the knockoffs that don't allow upgrade versions?  :D

Dead_Pool said:

I'm against supporting legacy hardware and would generally agree BUT
    Apple is supporting the feature over the single USB-C input. When I saw this I thought "fucking BRILLIANT". 100% optional, no extra ugliness. Don't need it? You won't notice it.

Meanwhile the knockoffs are sporting SD card ports (Yuck!).
    There’s nothing here that requires the iPad to be more complex. I’d be willing to bet that if you don’t use any of the new features iPadOS 13 will be almost indistinguishable from iOS 12, and in many ways still very close to the first iPad. You don’t want multiple windows/panes open? Fine, just don’t open them and it behaves the same as it did before.

If you want an iPad to be something more that just an iPhone with a bigger screen, you need to give it more capabilities. Apple is in the no-so-easy position of increasing the iPad’s capabilities while still maintaining ease of use. Thumb Drives are far from dead and are actually often easer to use in many cases than other methods. 

As far as how it works with older iPads, your best bet is to wait a bit. There are always reports of people trying new OS versions on older hardware. With a major version upgrade you’re best off waiting anyways. There are ways of downgrading to a previous OS version, but they are not straightforward.