Tim Cook previews 'For All Mankind' from 'Battlestar Galactica' creator Ronald D. Moore

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
Demonstrating that Apple is continuing to produce new series for its Apple TV+ service, Tim Cook previewed a science fiction drama series from Ronald D. Moore.

Tim Cook opened this year's WWDC with a sneak peak of a new Apple-produced television series called "For All Mankind." Created by Ronald D. Moore, best-known for "Star Trek," "Battlestar Galactica," and "Outlander." The series follows the 1960s Space Race positing that the Soviet Union beat America to the moon.

"I've gotten an early look at the entire season,," said Tim Cook, "and I loved it."

Starring Joel Kinnaman, Michael Dorman and Sarah Jones, the series is a drama which Apple has funded for one season. No air date has been given yet, but it will be part of the Apple TV+ service launching in the Fall.

Series creator Ronald D. Moore has previously said that he is "dangerously optimistic" about the series. ""All I can tell you is that it's about the space race, and what if the space race never ended," he told SyFy.

Apple TV+ is a new streaming service that was first detailed at Apple's March 2019 event.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    Be assured I trust Tim Cook as an independent reference for such recommendations
    entropys
  • Reply 2 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Latko said:
    Be assured I trust Tim Cook as an independent reference for such recommendations
    For some reason I was wondering what would happen if Cook hated it, which led me wondering what would happen if it was Steve Jobs and he thought it wasn’t up to scratch.
    Now that would be speculative fiction.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    fly8fly8 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    It better be spectacular! For me, it was a slap in the face to announce it on the eve of the 50th anniversary of when we, the USA, did place men on the moon!! Yes, of course we did it for all man kind, but it was America that made it happen. Tim is old enough to remember the event personally. I'm surprised he didn't have the foresight to see the poor taste.

Now, OTOH, a series showing what could have been accomplished had the space race continued does sound like fun! Would we have had a base on the moon the last 30 years? Humans on Mars over a decade ago?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Alternative reality can be fun, and not mined near enough. The man in the high castle is good. Hope this one is good too.
    There are any number of Harry Turtledove stories that could be adapted too. There is one adolescent series protagonists can jump from one alternative universe to another for fun and profit. Each universe has worked out slightly different, and advanced at different rates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    the monkthe monk Posts: 93member
    fly8 said:
    It better be spectacular! For me, it was a slap in the face to announce it on the eve of the 50th anniversary of when we, the USA, did place men on the moon!! Yes, of course we did it for all man kind, but it was America that made it happen. Tim is old enough to remember the event personally. I'm surprised he didn't have the foresight to see the poor taste.

Now, OTOH, a series showing what could have been accomplished had the space race continued does sound like fun! Would we have had a base on the moon the last 30 years? Humans on Mars over a decade ago?
    I get your feelings, as my dad was of NASA. However, to me, after watching the trailer, this alternative reality seems to be a commentary on the United States today, as we are years away from losing as our status as the world’s largest economy because we’ve overreached ourselves (interpret that in any political context you want). It seems to say we are smart and talented enough to solve any of our problems, and that’s the real story. The space race is just a backdrop. I’m really looking forward to this one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm a big fan of alternative reality, and this series is one of the ones that looks the most interesting so far out of all of the series that Apple has announced so far.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Tim Cook actually used the words "Star Track" instead of "Star Trek" in about the 5 minute mark of the keynote. No doubt about it.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Duplicated post, delete me.
    edited June 2019