The TextBlade keyboard is superb, but you'll have to be patient

Comments

• Reply 1361 of 1615
    dabigkahunadabigkahuna Posts: 465member
    They’re a business, and standard business hours are Monday to Friday 9-5 (you could possibly stretch that to 5:30...).
    This is great - a clear example of how you and some other critics can't consider anything except your own assumptions and you'll limit word meanings to do it! I laid out the the different - and all perfectly reasonable - meanings for when a week could be considered to be ending. Your counter-argument is essentially just to say, "Well, this is one of them and it is the only one that is allowed". You don't even allow the day to be over! And, of course, you pick the most restrictive meaning. That is sufficient for my point, but let's go into it in more detail, just for fun.

You may not be aware of it, but businesses usually aren't making posts. People do. Any statement a person makes should be taken within the context THEY mean. After all, is is their words, not yours. If they say, "Next week", you don't get to apply a single limited meaning to it.

You don't even know what WT's hours are. And even if they only work M-F, that doesn't mean those are the only days Mark works. And I know enough that he is working well beyond normal work hours, whether his employees do or not.

It like how some critics say, "WT said 9:00 PM, but they didn't say what time zone". Or they said "Spring", but they didn't say what hemisphere. Because the context would be the time zone and hemisphere they are in. This is common sense.

And since an update on the internet isn't limited by when someone is available during business hours anyway - and we already know many updates have come well after business hours - you have to ignore that context as well.

It's all about critics trying to find anything to complain about so that they try to limit the meaning of words to give themselves a bogus excuse. And, amazingly, they do this even when there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about!

BTW, while I made this point about when a week could be considered to be over based on some saying it was Friday, the fact of the matter is, when I first did this years ago, it was because a critic declared that WT had lied about "next week" ON A TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY! That's how ridiculous some of the critics are in your effort to criticize.
  • Reply 1362 of 1615
    We see through you as much as MK, whom you are finally getting a tad more upset over. 

You mean you are just making up stuff about me, because you see little. Even your "finally getting" more upset over WT comment shows you don't pay attention. I've been complaining about WT communication for years.

I suspect you really worry the TB will never come, and you'll have loved but lost. 

You know what? I never ceased to worry about that. Because I know any new business is a high risk venture, let alone one which is coming out with new tech. I said years ago that this was the only item I ever risked ordering in advance because I'm quite risk adverse. Main reason I did in this case was because I knew the people behind it already had a successful business. Didn't guarantee anything, but it sure reduced the risk compared to people completely new to business. And I've posted about what a pain it will be if it doesn't ship and I have to go back to typing on a keyboard that will feel awful to me now that I've experienced something better.

BTW 3am Monday falls into an entirely new week, but Moon Logic KBD thinks it's the same as a Friday. 

I'm well aware of when Monday falls. But I'm also aware of how people adjust things for specific situations. Like how someone, who is relating something in the past, might say, "I didn't get to sleep until late Sunday night" - which may mean sometime after midnight, even though that is officially Monday. Of course, some will say, "I didn't get to sleep until early Monday morning", but people will use both approaches. And if it is part of their working hours, there is nothing odd about treating the early hours of Monday as being the end of their working on Sunday.

In your effort to find anything to complain about, you may not like that these views exist in the real world, but as I pointed out in my prior post, why be so restrictive when there are plenty of real things to complain about? In fact, let's take the last item quoted above and see how ridiculous it is:

You could just disagree with my point about the early hours of Monday possibly being a reasonable extension of the last day of the week (remember, "last day of the week" was the context). I can see people objecting to that. And some agreeing with me. Fine. But you can't do that, can you? Instead you post a lie that says I think 3:00 AM Monday is the SAME AS FRIDAY. I never did and never would say that. So why did you make it up? And you've done it more than once so it doesn't seem to be carelessness.

Oh, look, in your very next post you repeat the lie yet again:

No-one needs your "reasoning" that Friday means Monday.

That's about as bad as Eric saying you couldn't do addition on a 6502 even though his own link showed otherwise.
  • Reply 1363 of 1615
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    > We see through you as much as MK, whom you are finally getting a tad more upset over. 

You mean you are just making up stuff about me, because you see little. Even your "finally getting" more upset over WT comment shows you don't pay attention. I've been complaining about WT communication for years.

> I suspect you really worry the TB will never come, and you'll have loved but lost. 

You know what? I never ceased to worry about that. Because I know any new business is a high risk venture, let alone one which is coming out with new tech. I said years ago that this was the only item I ever risked ordering in advance because I'm quite risk adverse. Main reason I did in this case was because I knew the people behind it already had a successful business. Didn't guarantee anything, but it sure reduced the risk compared to people completely new to business. And I've posted about what a pain it will be if it doesn't ship and I have to go back to typing on a keyboard that will feel awful to me now that I've experienced something better.

> BTW 3am Monday falls into an entirely new week, but Moon Logic KBD thinks it's the same as a Friday. 

I'm well aware of when Monday falls. But I'm also aware of how people adjust things for specific situations. Like how someone, who is relating something in the past, might say, "I didn't get to sleep until late Sunday night" - which may mean sometime after midnight, even though that is officially Monday. Of course, some will say, "I didn't get to sleep until early Monday morning", but people will use both approaches. And if it is part of their working hours, there is nothing odd about treating the early hours of Monday as being the end of their working on Sunday.

In your effort to find anything to complain about, you may not like that these views exist in the real world, but as I pointed out in my prior post, why be so restrictive when there are plenty of real things to complain about? In fact, let's take the last item quoted above and see how ridiculous it is:

You could just disagree with my point about the early hours of Monday possibly being a reasonable extension of the last day of the week (remember, "last day of the week" was the context). I can see people objecting to that. And some agreeing with me. Fine. But you can't do that, can you? Instead you post a lie that says I think 3:00 AM Monday is the SAME AS FRIDAY. I never did and never would say that. So why did you make it up? And you've done it more than once so it doesn't seem to be carelessness.

Oh, look, in your very next post you repeat the lie yet again:

> No-one needs your "reasoning" that Friday means Monday.

That's about as bad as Eric saying you couldn't do addition on a 6502 even though his own link showed otherwise.
    Any updates posted at WTF yet? Or have you moved 3am Monday to 3am Tuesday? Or is that too mid-week for you so we should recalibrate to Friday, which in your books means 3am Monday?

i sense a DBKatch-22. And another feather-duster from you over to Mark. Good luck with that. 
  • Reply 1364 of 1615
    Any updates posted at WTF yet? Or have you moved 3am Monday to 3am Tuesday? Or is that too mid-week for you so we should recalibrate to Friday, which in your books means 3am Monday?
    You know what? I recently posted a response on the WT forums to another poster, clearly saying that WT flat out missed their schedule. Which I've done plenty of times in the past.

You see, I have never excused WT from these missed updates. 

So why are you repeatedly saying I said Monday is the same as Friday? Because, you know, that is not something I ever said.

In your effort to smear me, you are really just revealing yourself.
  • Reply 1365 of 1615
    Well, Apple announced a whole new universe of AWESOME NEW STUFF.

Brand new Mac Pro! (Yes!!!!)  Updates galore - iOS, Watch OS, iPad OS, Mac OS, Music, TV, HDR Display, too much stuff to even remember it all! Probably the biggest WWDC ever. Awesome!

Waytools on the other hand.... not so awesome.

Jan 2015 - April 2019 - ZIP!!
    May 2019 update? ZILCH!!!!
    June 1st 2019 - update by 9pm PST? NADA!!!! (why even suggest this self-imposed deadline when you had no intention of meeting it?????)
    June 2nd 2019 - the quiet Sunday update after missing the Sat 9pm PST update? GOOSE EGG!!!!!!!!
    June 3rd - the busy Monday update following on the heels of the missed quiet Sunday update after the ignored Sat 9pm PST update? DIDDLY SQUAT!!!!!!!!!!!
    June 4th - Tuesday, 3:30am on the east coast and I see nothing.

How does someone promise an update by 9pm PST on a Saturday and then on the following Tuesday still have nothing to show for it?

This is gaslighting people. You get to witness it first hand. Mark Knighton will lie and lie and lie again. He will lie right to your face. With no shame. He does not care.

Mark Knighton's universe of lies will implode soon. Soon you all will see.

alexonline
  • Reply 1366 of 1615
    weirdosmurfweirdosmurf Posts: 101member
    They’re a business, and standard business hours are Monday to Friday 9-5 (you could possibly stretch that to 5:30...).
    This is great - a clear example of how you and some other critics can't consider anything except your own assumptions and you'll limit word meanings to do it! I laid out the the different - and all perfectly reasonable - meanings for when a week could be considered to be ending. Your counter-argument is essentially just to say, "Well, this is one of them and it is the only one that is allowed". You don't even allow the day to be over! And, of course, you pick the most restrictive meaning. That is sufficient for my point, but let's go into it in more detail, just for fun.

You may not be aware of it, but businesses usually aren't making posts. People do. Any statement a person makes should be taken within the context THEY mean. After all, is is their words, not yours. If they say, "Next week", you don't get to apply a single limited meaning to it.

You don't even know what WT's hours are. And even if they only work M-F, that doesn't mean those are the only days Mark works. And I know enough that he is working well beyond normal work hours, whether his employees do or not.

It like how some critics say, "WT said 9:00 PM, but they didn't say what time zone". Or they said "Spring", but they didn't say what hemisphere. Because the context would be the time zone and hemisphere they are in. This is common sense.

And since an update on the internet isn't limited by when someone is available during business hours anyway - and we already know many updates have come well after business hours - you have to ignore that context as well.

It's all about critics trying to find anything to complain about so that they try to limit the meaning of words to give themselves a bogus excuse. And, amazingly, they do this even when there are plenty of legitimate things to complain about!

BTW, while I made this point about when a week could be considered to be over based on some saying it was Friday, the fact of the matter is, when I first did this years ago, it was because a critic declared that WT had lied about "next week" ON A TUESDAY or WEDNESDAY! That's how ridiculous some of the critics are in your effort to criticize.
    Oh, I think you have me wrong... I’m with you and your post history... I would be perfectly happy with Santa Monica time (no need to get overly silly with crazy timezone stuff (I live in Australia so other than New Zealand, you’re all living in the past as far as we’re concerned...  ;) )

I think it entirely fair to say the average “run-of-the-mill-punter” would say 9-to-5 Monday to Friday Santa Monica time would be reasonable... anything else would be someone filtering a standard expectation through a filter of what they perceive to be acceptable - that’s someone placing their own “biases” and preferences on a situation... I might personally prefer a narrower timeframe... you clearly prefer a far broader one, but you “just-Joe-on-the-street” wouldn’t see it either your or my way... they’d likely think the standard timeframe to be reasonable and anything sooner a bonus and anything later a negative - you can try and spin it differently, but that’s... well... well it’s just spin...

(and by the way, I’d point out that you’ve gone anywhere from fighting-to-the-death for the narrowest interpretation of a given word to fighting-to-the-death for the broadest interpretation of a word...

...can we possibly get a little consistency here somewhere along the line...? ;)

(I want my cake and I want to eat it too as much as the next guy, but you’re kinds pushing the paradigm a little too much for credulity to bear...)
    edited June 2019 alexonline
  • Reply 1367 of 1615

This is the kind of nonsensical spin that drives people nuts - paragraphs and paragraphs of it. 

The reality is very simple. Waytools missed another self-imposed deadline. Then another, and another, in the space of three days. 

There is no need to dance around this as you have done since December 2015. I checked your posts from way back then, and yes, you were calling MK out, but your endless rationalisations have surely only encouraged Mark to do the wrong thing, time and again. Time and again you have set a very low bar for Mark, despite endless attempts to pull him into line.

https://forum.waytools.com/t/23-december-status-update/1257

You've been at this dance since December 2015 (and probably earlier) and all those attempts have F-A-I-L-E-D. Doesn't this tell you something, KDB? Doesn't it tell you ANYTHING?

Please, stop the rationalisations. Why not send Mark a message that you're as MAD AS HELL AND YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE. 

Or are you TOO GUTLESS to do that, preferring to stay within feather duster range of not getting your TextBlade switched off remotely, for fear of hurting the feelings of the Great Gaslighter, Mark Knighton?

You need to grow a set of great big kahunas.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 1368 of 1615

MARK HAS SPOKEN!

+++

We've been racing to finish off the remaining firmware items before May, and had good success. We now have a firmware release build for our team for final testing.

We've solved each of the challenges we reported in our previous posts. We've also worked through several nontrivial added tasks we found though testing a large number of units.

Release has been held back while we address each point. Though it's been quite a bit of work, these refinements are very meaningful to the user experience. We hope you find them very satisfying to use.

Based on the remaining tests, we hope to begin releasing TextBlades in the second half of January 2020. Please keep in mind the release date will be certain only after our tests are all clear and the first shipment has officially gone out. We'll confirm that as soon as it has occurred. We'll also post some firmware details during the winter break for our tech enthusiast community.

The video above (see blog) shows a few of the extensive software tools we've used to validate and certify TextBlades for release to customers. While a keyboard may seem simple to build, the all-new human interface technology of TextBlade is far more complex. More than you might expect, it requires much care and effort to fulfill its potential, and bring typing forward for the tablet era. 

Behind every significant advance - beyond the product you see, there is so much that is unseen. A large team of passionate and highly gifted engineers has worked tirelessly to deliver TextBlade. Their skill, their will, and their creative energy is the very reason it's even possible.

+++

Um, yeah. This was from December 2015, I made a couple of minor modifications here and there. 

https://forum.waytools.com/t/23-december-status-update/1257

edited June 2019
  • Reply 1369 of 1615
    I think it entirely fair to say the average “run-of-the-mill-punter” would say 9-to-5 Monday to Friday Santa Monica time would be reasonable... anything else would be someone filtering a standard expectation through a filter of what they perceive to be acceptable
    You don't speak for what the average person thinks. Some may agree with you, but it simply isn't the only reasonable measurement.

BTW, to filter something would be to remove something. So the only person filtering was you.
    > This is the kind of nonsensical spin that drives people nuts - paragraphs and paragraphs of it. The reality is very simple. Waytools missed another self-imposed deadline.

I acknowledged WT missed the update. I posted about it before you asked!

But it doesn't change the facts about you falsely claiming I said Monday was the same as Friday. Time for you to withdraw that fib.

> I checked your posts from way back then, and yes, you were calling MK out, but your endless rationalisations have surely only encouraged Mark to do the wrong thing, time and again.

So you admit I called him out, but then claim I made rationalizations - which you don't show. It works like this:

It is fine to complain that something is late. It is not fine to say it is late before it is late!

You've been at this dance since December 2015 (and probably earlier) and all those attempts have F-A-I-L-E-D. Doesn't this tell you something, KDB?

Now that is funny. I criticize, by your own admission, their communication, but that isn't good enough because I've "failed" since communication still isn't what it should be. So, please, tell me how you've been so successful! Or maybe your own failure (using your standard) should tell you something.

Why not send Mark a message that you're as MAD AS HELL AND YOU'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE. 

I leave that to you, since, you know, that approach has been so successful :)

That could be sarcasm.
  • Reply 1370 of 1615
    You win, KBD. Get back to us when Mark posts his latest piece of gaslighting. Maybe it will happen this week?

Also it is no fib that you have endlessly tried to explain away why Friday can stretch into Sat, Sun and 3am Monday. You have done this time and again, for years!

To pretend you HAVEN'T done this is a LIE and your own form of Gaslighting the rest of us. 

It also excuses Mark's repeated wash, rinse, repeat behaviour of setting deadlines and missing them. 

But, you win, KBD. Victory to you. Get back to us when Mark posts his latest piece of gaslighting. Maybe it will happen this week? 

edited June 2019
  • Reply 1371 of 1615
    You win, KBD. Get back to us when Mark posts his latest piece of gaslighting. Maybe it will happen this week?
    I suspect it will but I certainly can’t guarantee it. 
  • Reply 1372 of 1615
    RolanbekRolanbek Posts: 81member
    ...Back.

Still nothing going on?

I still the thrust of the thread is still the ongoing attempt to convince us all that black is white.

Still no word from anyone who matters?

This seems somewhat apropos:
    Sometimes, Winston. Sometimes they are five. Sometimes they are three. Sometimes they are all of them at once. You must try harder. It is not easy to become sane.

Off again in a bit, back later.

R

• Reply 1373 of 1615

Black is White

[Verse 1]
    I took my TextBlade on a Saturday bang
    Hey, is that blade with you?
    Yes, we're one and the same
    Now, I believe in miracles
    But no miracle has happened tonight

[Chorus]
    But, if you're thinking about my TextBlade
    It don't matter that yeah black is white

[Verse 2]
    They type my message in the Saturday Sun
    I had to tell them Mark is second to one
    And I told 'em about type quality
    And it's true, either you're wrong or you're right

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
    I am tired of Mark devil
    I am tired of Mark's stuff
    I am tired of Mark's business
    So when the going gets rough
    I ain't scared of Ka Huna
    I ain't scared of no sheets
    I ain't scared of nobody
    Mark, when his going gets mean

[Rap: L.T.B.]
    Protection for Way, tools and nations
    Causing grief in human relations
    It's a type war on a tiny scale
    We only hear one side of the tale
    See, it's not about graces
    Just places, typefaces
    Where your blood comes from is where your spacebar is
    I've seen the bright get duller
    I'm not going to spend my life being Ka huna

[Verse 3]
    Don't tell me you agree with me
    When I saw you kicking dirt in my eye

[Chorus]
    I said if you're thinking of being a typer

Ooh, ooh
    Yea, yea, yea now
    Ooh, ooh
    Type, type, type now
    It's black, it's white
    It's tough for them to get by
    It's black, it's white, (x3) whootools...

Where is it?

[Verse 1]
    I gave him money
    I gave him time
    I gave him everything
    Inside one heart could find
    I gave him passion
    My typist soul
    I gave him promises
    And secrets so untold

[Pre-Chorus]
    And he promised me text blader
    And a day we’d type as one
    He made his vows
    We’d type a life anew
    And he promised me in secret
    That Text Blade was for all time
    It’s a promise so untrue
    Tell me what will I do?

[Chorus]
    And it doesn't seem to matter
    And it doesn't seem right
    ‘Cause the blade has brought no fortune
    Still I type alone at night
    Don't you judge of my composure
    ‘Cause I'm lying to myself
    And the reason why he went broke
    Did he find in someone else?

(Where is it?)
    Where is that blade of mine?
    (Where is it?)
    Why do you bother?
    (Where is it?)
    Mark Knighton hurt my soul, now
    (Where is it?)
    I can’t take this stuff no more

[Verse 2]
    Mark is the damned
    Mark is the dead
    Mark is the agony inside
    The dying head
    This is injustice
    Woe unto thee
    I pray this punishment
    Would have mercy on he

[Pre-Chorus]
    And he promised me Text Blader
    That we'd type our life as one
    He made his vows
    We'd type a life so true
    It seems that he has left me
    For such reasons unexplained
    I need to find the truth
    But see what will I do

[Chorus]
    ‘Cause I'm bothered everyday
    And he didn't type a letter
    He just up and ran away

(Where is it?)
    (Where is it?)
    Why do you bother?
    (Where is it?)
    (Where is it?)

(Where is it?)
    (Where is it?)
    Why do you bother?
    (Where is it?)
    (Where is it?)

[Chorus]
    And the reason why he went broke
    Was the cash in someone else?

[Chorus]
    Don't you judge of my type posture
    He just up and ran away

And the reason why he left me

He just up and ran away

Still I cry alone at night
    He just up and ran away

And the reason why he left me
    (Can't take it cause he won't sell)

edited June 2019
  • Reply 1374 of 1615
    I think it entirely fair to say the average “run-of-the-mill-punter” would say 9-to-5 Monday to Friday Santa Monica time would be reasonable... anything else would be someone filtering a standard expectation through a filter of what they perceive to be acceptable
    You don't speak for what the average person thinks. Some may agree with you, but it simply isn't the only reasonable measurement.

BTW, to filter something would be to remove something. So the only person filtering was you.
    I certainly come a hell of a lot closer to what “the average person thinks” than some of your endlessly-variable-flexible-rationalisations for missing deadlines...

I’m certainly not suggesting my 9to5 statement is what everybody thinks (you clearly would be at one particular extreme end of the standard deviation On that scale...) but I’m quite confident that if someone said “I’ve bought a thing from this company and there’s a delay in delivering it... they told me they’ll be updating customers by the end of the week... What do you think they mean by ‘end of the week’...?” To 500 x “reasonable people”, your bell curve would be very, very pointy at the 5-5:30pm (vendor’s time) point of time.

You’re more than welcome to theorise on why good “could be” bad, up “could be” down and black “could be” white (but don’t go out and get killed on the nearest zebra crossing afterwards*...!) but it doesn’t make it at all unreasonable that my hypothesis is a tiny bit closer to you’re ill-defined (and lacking is basic common sense) alternatives...

*credit to Douglas Adams...
    alexonline
  • Reply 1375 of 1615
    I certainly come a hell of a lot closer to what “the average person thinks” than some of your endlessly-variable-flexible-rationalisations for missing deadlines...
    You still get it wrong. Consistency isn't always a good thing!

My stuff isn't "endlessly-variable-flexible-rationalasations" for missing the updates. It was, in fact, quite limited. Here is the difference, based on my oft-cited example:

"Next week" can obviously mean any time up until the end of the week, thus the only question is when is the end of the week. You pick ONE possibility (5:00-5:30 PM on Friday). Thus, if they don't make it by that day/time, you can complain that they missed it.

I show multiple, but very limited, ways end of the week is measured. Guess what, if they don't make any of those, you still can complain that they missed it.

It seems to show a strange desire to criticize as soon as possible. 

Then we have the false claims, like yours, that my deadlines are "endlessly variable" when, in fact, they are not. Or Alex's who flat out posts falsehoods that claim I say Friday is really Monday. So, not just a strange desire to criticize as soon as possible (and that doesn't count those who on a Tuesday or Wednesday declare WT is late), but a strange need to misrepresent what others actually say.

Maybe there is some psychological term, but I just call it being dishonest.
  • Reply 1376 of 1615
    Since we're paraphrasing Douglas Adams, a few of my favorites as applicable to the situation:

Re announcement of the Textblade:
    • The story so far: In the beginning the Textblade was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Re recent updates from Mark Knighton:
    • For a moment, nothing happened. Then, after four years or so, nothing continued to happen.

Re Kahuna:
    • There are some people you like immediately, some whom you think you might learn to like in the fullness of time, and some that you simply want to push away from you with a sharp stick.

edited June 2019 alexonline
  • Reply 1377 of 1615
    You still get it wrong. Consistency isn't always a good thing!

My stuff isn't "endlessly-variable-flexible-rationalasations" for missing the updates. It was, in fact, quite limited. Here is the difference, based on my oft-cited example:

"Next week" can obviously mean any time up until the end of the week, thus the only question is when is the end of the week. You pick ONE possibility (5:00-5:30 PM on Friday). Thus, if they don't make it by that day/time, you can complain that they missed it.

I show multiple, but very limited, ways end of the week is measured. Guess what, if they don't make any of those, you still can complain that they missed it.

It seems to show a strange desire to criticize as soon as possible. 

Then we have the false claims, like yours, that my deadlines are "endlessly variable" when, in fact, they are not. Or Alex's who flat out posts falsehoods that claim I say Friday is really Monday. So, not just a strange desire to criticize as soon as possible (and that doesn't count those who on a Tuesday or Wednesday declare WT is late), but a strange need to misrepresent what others actually say.

Maybe there is some psychological term, but I just call it being dishonest.
    Nah, it’s just a human term...

You might be defining the theoretical, possible explanations and permutations, but I’m simply stating that I don’t think most “average” people think in those “potential” terms - they think “5pm on a Friday night in Santa Monica... gee, they’re late for their update...”

You are more than welcome to rationalise why you are happy or comfortable with variations to that, but I don’t think “average-Joe-on-the-street...” shares your flexi-timetable...
    alexonline
  • Reply 1378 of 1615
    I’m simply stating that I don’t think most “average” people think in those “potential” terms - they think “5pm on a Friday night in Santa Monica

Most such folks, even IF they thought that way as a starting, default, view (which can not actually be proven, btw), would be willing to adjust their opinion if the other options were presented. Which may include:

WayTools works on Saturdays too.
    2. Mark does some of his work on Sundays.
    3. Regardless of what hours and days they work, the week isn't over on Friday.
    4. Etc, etc, etc

Average people tend, when presented with all the facts, to be pretty rational. They may not like waiting past Friday, but they can accept other reasonable meanings that they did not originally think of once they are pointed out.

So, when are you going to retract your claim that I was advocating an "endlessly flexible" time frame for what is the end of a week? I mean, I gave a pretty definite maximum cutoff which, I'm pretty sure, directly contradicts the "endlessly" part of your claim.

As always, there is plenty of opportunity to criticize - including the fact that this latest update was delayed until Saturday, until Sunday, until Monday and here we are on Tuesday and it still isn't here. Yet you still are stuck on what the end of the week is, trying to make it all about Fridays.
  • Reply 1379 of 1615
    Empty Platitudes in F Minor

by WayTools Team

Dedicated to our mincing poodle, KBD, Chief Rationaliser and Time Waster (but it's not about you KBD because obvious reasons, you are powerless!)

Sourced from 

and

Compiled from early 2019 to 4 June, 2019

We’re working on the new firmware infrastructure fork that we’ve been posting about recently.

We’ll reveal some interesting tech details after we’ve proven a few more steps in our dev labs. Not ready to comment publicly yet, but think you’ll really like the upsides for users. They’re significant.

Michael - Star Citizen is a rather unique case - they’ve raised a quarter of a billion dollars, mostly through 8 years of preorders and teaser releases of alpha builds, with partial, appetizer functionality.

The product in their case is a game of fictional narrative, for entertainment. It’s logical for them to post regular narrative to entertain their clientele. Storytelling is their industry.

In contrast, TextBlade isn’t a game app - it’s a powerful hardware tool that users depend on every day to get serious work done. They don’t buy it for entertainment, they want its power to let them do what they want to do.

TextBlade has a lot of hardware, software and mechanical engineering in it, and has a complex supply chain with hundreds of parts - silicon chips, molds, magnets, circuit boards, assembly factories, QA testing robots, and distribution logistics, all carefully orchestrated together to deliver 1.5 oz of new magic into your hands.

So the standards we must work to in our industry are very different from a game. A game can be anything, and work in any way, simply because its writers say so.

But new hardware - a better tool for writing - that requires hardcore engineering, alloyed and finessed with industrial art. It must seriously perform the precise utility its users require, and delight them while doing it.

In a nutshell, this sums up how Silicon Valley culture is so different from Hollywood. Both are significant, but they pursue different purposes.

Entertainment inspires emotion, and engineering builds the power to perform.

Once in a great while, a product might be both. So satisfying to use, and so innovative compared with its predecessors, that it is both emotionally fulfilling, and functionally indispensable. All in one product.

At their best, Apple does that. What Steve Jobs called the “intersection of technology and liberal arts”. It wasn’t just a marketing slogan. It’s true. And that truth built one of the most powerful companies in history.

The rare chance to change the keyboard for the better - it’s real. Treg validation has proved this.

So right now, we’re heads-down writing code to support mass deployment, not marketing narrative, because that firmware gets TextBlade in all users hands sooner. And we believe that’s the best use of our team’s talents.

No narrative can ever satisfy like the widget in hand. The folks using TextBlade right now can affirm that.

So that’s our job, and our focus.

we’re well into the migration to the new code fork now, and aim to get treg validation within winter.

Already got a lot of functions migrated and testing successfully internally, but still plenty to do for release to user validation. We’ll have increasing visibility on timing this winter as more functions are verified and checked off.

It is a constant source of amazement to see how anything can be spun into something that it isn’t.

We’ve already been shipping the original code fork with favorable results, so why project all this dark bias?

The revised code will greatly improve our ability to respond faster to user requests. It’s rational to get this done before we go from hundreds of users released, to supporting 1000X more.

Anything worth doing will have commentators declaring its impossibility. It goes with the territory when you create change.

You can look darkly at anything. You can hole-up in your basement, fearing that at any moment a meteor can reduce your house to rubble (a small but nonzero probability) - or you can go forward, do good things, and live a life worth living.

This is a thing worth doing, so we’re doing it.

More space makes everything work better and faster, which is the shortest course you can chart to put TextBlade into everyone’s hands.

Logic drives our actions. While any action can stir emotions, reality reminds us it’s wise to follow logic,

Yes, it took much effort to keep the current release clean, and free from those kinds of ill effects.

The new code fork provides lots more headroom so that it continues to stay solid, even as we act on the inexorable flood of requests coming on general release, as the user base balloons up dramatically.

This is one of those ‘ounce of prevention’ cases where the up-front investment is far more efficient and wise than reacting after the fact.

Niche products can gradually work their way through incremental fixes and improvements for their narrow audience. But that’s not practical for TextBlade, since it’s a major shift for a mass audience. So being prepared is prudent.

Our job now is to bring you, and everyone, to that same good place. We will.

It’s quite a good job to have.

We took time to write this so that folks could understand our values and ethics.

But now we want to return our focus to the best tonic of all, delivering a wonderful product that brings joy to it’s users.

That’s the fun stuff, and it’s quite exciting what’s emerging here.

Thanks for defending the team efforts that make this possible.

And thanks for caring to help other customers who don’t yet have it.

Rising cooperation is a tide that overcomes conflict, and lifts everyone to a progressively better life.

Your example of seeing the good, and helping the hopeful progress of the world, is inspiring.

For any parent, to see that spirit in full bloom, is to understand what protects our future.

Understood. The email folks want is their shipment confirmation. That’s where our efforts are focused now.

Our plan is to let treg users continue to have the full functionality of the current release, while our internal teams find and validate our checklist items for the migration to the new fork. We can iterate builds much faster internally, so this is most efficient.

We’ll switch over to treg user validation once we don’t see anything further from our internal testing. Then the diverse use cases of our treg customers will be highly effective to find any edge cases, and we’ll focus on clearing those to ready our general release.

We think this process is the fastest way to get to a robust general release.

To keep a brisk pace and avoid scope creep, the first objective is narrowly focused on deploying the same feature set in the new infrastructure.

The advances in performance with the new infrastructure fork will surprise many.

It will then be pretty clear why there was significant scope to this new infrastructure effort, and why it’s smart to do it.

Bluetooth 5 has twice the data rate and quadruple the range of Bluetooth 4.

Those are nice to have, especially for audio, but they don’t drive useful performance for keyboards, since you don’t type 1,000 words a minute, or type to a PC screen you can’t see, two rooms away.

The newer standards tend to be adopted by host systems first, to insure compatibility with future devices. Conversely, peripherals tend to keep the established standard a few years longer, to insure backward compatibility with older hosts.

That’s what Apple does. Bluetooth 4.0 came to macs and phones in 2012, but they kept Bluetooth 3 in their keyboards and mice until 2015 - so a lag of about 3 years.

In keeping with that, iPhones and macs switched to Bluetooth 5 in 2018, but the current Apple Magic keyboard and mouse are still Bluetooth 4, and will likely stay that way till 2021.

That said, we do have foundation in our platform for a graceful migration to Bluetooth 5, once it starts getting popular for input peripherals. We think you’ll like how we architected that.

Our focus is now on completing migration to new infrastructure fork, per our post last week (link below). Lots of good things coming from this foundation, responsive to suggestions by popular demand of treg users.

We’ll provide some tech details of the internal advances prior to releasing them for treg validation.

The upsides will be very apparent, ergo the reasons we’ve put in this extra effort.

Confirm we’ve got more checklist work to do internally before we release to treg.

We wouldn’t have stuck with it unless it’s indeed quite good. It is. Users can already speak to that.

Guessing you rejected a refund since you can see what users are saying.

Get a bit of sunshine, and look forward to a tomorrow brighter than yesterday.

The best forecast news will be to simply to be able to report that we’re releasing volume shipments in general release. Until we’ve cleared each of the requirements for the new code fork, it’s better to provide an estimate, even if imperfect, than not to provide any forecast. Once we start general release, it’ll then feel like a sudden discontinuity to the pattern, but a very welcome one.

Any choice in a heterogeneous environment is a compromise. Will be very nice when all have their TextBlades like you, and we no longer have to navigate that.

As we check off more functions certified in the new infrastructure, we’ll be able to narrow our window estimate. Got a major, recalcitrant one now confirmed good today, which definitely helps.

We’ll be updating on tech details of the new fork later this month.

Will publish a tech update soon, but not sooner than a week from now.

working through current tasks will give us better visibility on estimates. Many items have already been settled during March, so good progress.

Once you learn the upsides of what we’re doing now, we think you’ll find it very hopeful indeed.

We’re progressing very well on the new firmware infrastructure, and have several more functions now checked off for feature parity with the current release.

There are several very exciting new advances in performance as a result of the new firmware fork.

We’ll post a more in-depth TechTalk about the foundations for the new firmware and its significant advances in capability, after we complete a few more of the migration steps.

We think you’ll like what it does for users, and how it supports general release.

Testing jumps right now, and data from initial testing looks like they’re now about twice as fast.

We think it can be tuned a bit further, but focus first is on full feature-parity with current release.

Above is a sample datapoint, and we’ll finish working through and testing so we’ve got more of the full picture info. With those results, we’ll do a good, in-depth TechTalk write-up.

Will post here first, then publish on status site.

Hello All -

Just letting everyone know we expect to post our TechTalk update with a lot of exciting news about TextBlade’s powerful new firmware infrastructure, on Saturday evening after 9 pm pst.

It will be posted on a new TechTalk thread, to let you all post your related questions, discussion and suggestions.

Thanks all.

Will be working on it for a while yet tonight, so please get your rest in the meantime.

Hi All - got some good content settled this evening, and want to cover a few more points of interest.

Will get some sleep now, and finish editing Sunday to post for you all. Thanks

Petek - will do. Sundays are good quiet time for this kind of work.

Get some rest to see the Keynote. We’ll be busy on this for a while yet tonight.

Quite a lot of ground to cover, but getting though it. Think you’ll like what you learn in this update.

Gonna keep at it for a while to try to get this one off the plate.

Well, can’t argue with that.

Not what you’re working to hear at sunrise at your desk, after a weekend at the office, but it’s fair.

Just have to push hard, get it done, and then it sure feels nice when it’s behind us.

Goal was set as - around the end of the month, and have put in many hours this weekend to respect that.

This sort of stuff does take gobs of work, as everything worth doing does. Good kind of work though.

Think cognitive productivity will improve to get it done faster after a few hours rest.

Will come back at it fresh to finish up. Enjoy Craig F. Will get some shuteye.

+++

Epilogue, penned any Vinicabrera:

vinicabrera 13h

another post date another miss... This is the kind of behavior that leverage all those hatred comments to you @waytools. Always failing to keep a promise or an commitment is what make the users and pre-buyers to behave like that. 

All on you @waytools this time, all on you.
  • Reply 1380 of 1615
    Faulty KBD said: 

Most such folks, even IF they thought that launching a product to ship in just weeks after launch in 2015 as a starting, default, view (which can not actually be proven, btw), would be willing to adjust their opinion if the other options were presented. Which may include:

1. WayTools lied about the readiness of the product too.
    2. Mark does no good work work on Sundays.
    3. Regardless of what hours and days they work, the week isn't over on Friday, even though most 9 to 5 workers actually do finish work on Friday. At 5pm. Or 5.30pm. Unless they have to work overtime. Or are weekend workers. Or work late. In Which Case, it is Possible to Extend 5.30pm Friday into 3am Monday, mainly because I've said so many, many times, despite the fact I keep saying I haven't and I want you to apologise to me because you keep claiming I said what I said, which I did say, time and again. 
    4. Etc, etc, etc

Average people tend, when presented with all the facts, to be pretty rational. Unless they are related to me, in which case, like me, they are pretty irrational. They may not like waiting past the originally promised launch date in early 2015, but they can accept other reasonable meanings that they did not originally think of once they are pointed out when their entire life revolves around a faulty KBD. 

So, when are you going to retract your claim that I am "endlessly flexible" on just about everything that is ever put to me? I mean, I gave a pretty definite maximum cutoff which, I'm pretty sure, directly contradicts the "endlessly" part of your claim - the same kind of cutoff WT gave at the beginning when orders were meant to ship in just weeks, not 4+ years. Which so far is pretty "endlessly"/ 

As always, there is plenty of opportunity to criticize me - including the fact that this entire project was delayed until Saturday, until Sunday, until Monday and here we are on Tuesday and it still isn't here, after 4+ years of shame, lies, obfuscation and healthy doses of misdirection by me - your friendly, faulty, neighborhood KBD! 

Yet you still are stuck on what the end of the string is for the entire Waytools operation, trying to make it all about me, as if I had any power, as if I was an employee of Waytools, as if I was consequential in any way, shape or form beyond being a pest. An eternal pest. With a rationalisationatory mind. 

I tell you, I am just a faulty KBD. I run interference for Mark because as a retired BASIC-programming machine language brained former teacher, I need meaning in my life, and TextBlade delivers it. 

I object to your attempt to tear me down and suggest that TextBlade is a scam, because if it really were a scam I'd know - I program in Basic, you know. And Machine Language. My brain can see such things several bytes ahead of the CPU process!

Scam? No. I resemble that re-mark, and highly object to it. 

BTW did you get that email from the royal person in Nigeria telling me I won $5.5 trillion dollars? I collect next week! Actually it has been a bit like the TextBlade, there have been some delays... 4+ years of them in fact. 

But I'm in the money! I'm SO excited!

BTW Friday can be stretched to 3am Monday - it's written in the stars. The Encyclopaedia Britannica. The Bible. And the Waytools Forum. By me!
This discussion has been closed.