Safari v.64

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 87
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    I see i have upset the gods...

All i wanted to see is how the tabs are implemented...

I don't like it, i'm using Chimera. That's all

I understand you guys, in a sense that you don't want to get a call from apple legal. However why do you have to act as a police in this case? (there's a diffrence in pirated copy of PS, and 'leaked' safari, IMHO)

I'm not defending myself here, just saying, that asking someone to provide me information on how to get it is not pirating software.

If you don't want to tell mewhere to get it from, then don't.
  • Reply 82 of 87
    Quick note, but I do encourage you to read the post in its entirety.

I think this is the end of this discussion. If anyone reading this feels the undying need to discuss this issue further, you can do so by sending me a private message. Let's keep further discussions like this out of this thread. If you have any questions concerning what might be wrong or right, consult the Posting Guidelines we have published. If you do have to question whether or not something is a good idea, it probably isn't.

Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

I see i have upset the gods...

All i wanted to see is how the tabs are implemented...

I don't like it, i'm using Chimera. That's all

I understand you guys, in a sense that you don't want to get a call from apple legal. However why do you have to act as a police in this case? (there's a diffrence in pirated copy of PS, and 'leaked' safari, IMHO)

I'm not defending myself here, just saying, that asking someone to provide me information on how to get it is not pirating software.

If you don't want to tell mewhere to get it from, then don't.

If you really want to get into a semantic discussion about this, I will be more than happy to oblige. As Amorph has eloquently informed me, piracy refers to unauthorized publication. So I suppose you yourself are not necessarily a pirate in a technical sense of the term. Either way, you are circumventing the traditional distribution methods of the specific pieces of software. The fact that Safari will eventually be released for free does not make your attempts, be them successful or not, any different than similar attempts of other "pirates" to obtain other pieces of software illegaly, or "alternatively" for you PC (Politically Correct) people keeping score at home.

I actually had a discussion with someone about this last night. He refused to accept the use of the word "pirate" as well. As mentioned before, ok, technically you aren't publishing the software. So you're a thief instead of a pirate. Is it then ok to use a "leaked" beta of Photoshop? Absolutely not. While you broke no NDA receiving it, you are also not licensed to have the software. The software itself, in the case of Safari, is the intellectual property of Apple Computer, Inc. If you are not receiving your copy directly from them, then you are not licensed to have the software; ergo, you are stealing it by circumventing their distribution methods in an attempt to acquire' a piece of software you do not currently have proper access to.

If you really detest the term pirating because of the technicalities of the word, fine. You are now a common thief with an internet connection. On this forum, however, I am labeling it stealing, and despite how others label it or wish to argue it, the methods and acts of gaining access to the software is no better than the act of pirating itself. it will not be tolerated.

In regards to why we have to act as Police in this case, well, I shouldn't have to explain this. We are responsible, to an extent, for the content that is actually on our server. If we practice leniency towards letting people discuss methods of obtaining software illegally, the owners of that software have every right to come down on us, and come down on us hard. We are not really interested in making enemies with those companies. Not that they do anything for us anyway, but there is really no point. I would also say it is out of respect for them. We wish to keep the forums clean. If you'd like to see a better case in point of this, I suggest you visit http://www.tivocommunity.com/ . They have a policy that states that there will be absolutely no discussions of attempting to remove content recorded on a TiVo. At AppleInsider, there will be no discussions of attempting to acquire software that you are not entitled to have. It is really a very simple principle: If you are entitled to posess a particular piece of software, you should contact the owner of that software directly, not this messageboard, for information on how to replace your missing copy.

We don't like being the forum police either.

In regards to wanting to check out tabbed browsing, well, you'll see it when it is ready. Again, Safari v.64, and subsequent versions with a version number other than .60, are not for public distribution. Apple does not want you to have it. They have every right to keep you from having it -- it is their software. I'd really like to check out the new features in Illustrator 11, but until Adobe adds me to their seed list for that program, it isn't happening. Any efforts on my part to obtain a copy of Illustrator 11 are not legal, in bad faith, and just plain wrong. Be happy that we're letting people post screenshots to this thread.

In closing, no, we won't tell you where to get it. Any member found publicly providing information for obtaining software such as internal "leaked" Safari betas will be disciplined. Members requesting information on said pieces of software will be warned, but we have a tolerance level. So call it pirating or whatever you want, really, but on these boards it will be considered stealing. Bottom line is that it is an illegal activity, and we really want no part in it. If Apple legal phones up and wants information, we will cooperate fully. It's not just better for us, it's better for you too.

I think this is the end of this discussion. If anyone reading this feels the undying need to discuss this issue further, you can do so by sending me a private message. Let's keep further discussions like this out of this thread. If you have any questions concerning what might be wrong or right, consult the Posting Guidelines we have published. If you do have to question whether or not something is a good idea, it probably isn't.

[EDIT - Modified post to change the label from pirate to thief for certain individuals. Thanks, Amorph. If only I had the eloquent diction you have... ]
  • Reply 83 of 87
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    wait for the next apple release anyways (.67 or .69--hehe---should be released soon)....v.64 was a dog anyways that made me go back to camino for a while....

g

ps....piwozniak is the best because he sent me nice safari buttons to use in camino
  • Reply 84 of 87
    and by "safari buttons" he means not the actual safari buttons.

Guys, from time to time, send me postcard to prison....pls

• Reply 85 of 87
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

If you have any questions concerning what might be wrong or right, consult the Posting Guidelines we have published. If you do have to question whether or not something is a good idea, it probably isn't.

brad, you might want to update the link at the top of the page
  • Reply 86 of 87
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

brad, you might want to update the link at the top of the page

Thanks for making me look like a wanker, Brad
  • Reply 87 of 87
    lol, thanks Brad :-)

(i will shut up now..)