Apple posts list of iOS 13 and iPadOS compatible hardware

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2019
Apple on Monday released the first iOS 13 and iPadOS developer betas shortly after announcement at WWDC 2019, revealing which iPad and iPhone models are compatible with the forthcoming operating systems.

iOS 13 Beta Build 17A5492t

Apple's next-generation iOS 13 was announced at WWDC today along with the much anticipated dark mode for which users have pined. Developers wishing to try out the iOS 13 beta build will need to have access to the following hardware:
  • iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS

• iPhone XR

• iPhone X

• iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus

• iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus

• iPhone SE

• iPhone 6s

• iPhone 6s Plus

• iPod Touch (7th generation)

iPadOS Beta Build 17A5492t

The newly christened iPadOS was also announced today, showcasing a plethora of features specific to the iPad. Developers looking to try out the iPadOS beta will need to have the following hardware:
  • iPad Pro (11 inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)

• iPad Pro (10.5 inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)

• iPad (5th generation, 6th generation)

• iPad Mini (5th generation)

• iPad Air (3rd Generation)

• iPad mini 4

• iPad Air 2

• iPad Pro (9.7-inch)

• iPad Pro (12.9-inch)
AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly recommend users don't install the betas on primary devices or hardware they deem as "mission critical" at all, as there is the highly remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Testers should instead install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices as a safer alternative, and to always make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].
ken burns effect

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    highly remote possibility of data loss or other issues.”

I think it’s much more likely than a highly remote possibility. 
  • Reply 2 of 22
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I am excited. I would like to learn more about the SMB server access in the files app.
    caladanianlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 22
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I’m hoping to see lots of in-depth reporting on iPadOS.  

Speaking of iPads, I’m surprised that no new pro”s where announced.  
  • Reply 4 of 22
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    tokyojimu said:
    “highly remote possibility of data loss or other issues.”

I think it’s much more likely than a highly remote possibility. 

Hmmm, I've never had data loss due to installing a beta. Sure, it CAN happen, but I've yet to see it.
    jahblade
  • Reply 5 of 22
    apple1991apple1991 Posts: 35member
    iPad OS and iOS 13 is going to be awesome! 
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Hmm looks like I’ll have to upgrade my iPhone at the same time as getting a new iPad.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So, my iPhone 6 is dead?
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 22
    MyTherisMyTheris Posts: 2member
    I tried to install iOS 13 Beta using Windows 10 and latest Itunes available, but I keep geting an error saying a newer version of iTunes is needed (currently using 12.9.5.7). My MacBook is old and only supports High Sierra (so I can't install latest xCode nor iTunes).
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member
    So, my iPhone 6 is dead?
    Yes. This has been rumored for months. The issue is the iPhone 5e and iPhone 6 only have 1Gb of RAM for the OS to use. This isn't enough anymore (as evidenced by how slow my iPhone 6 has gotten lately trying to run some parts of iOS 12). All phones from the iPhone 6S onward have at least 2Gb of RAM.
    GeorgeBMacken burns effectFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 22
    So Apple stopped selling iPhone 6 in Sept 2016.....forced obsolescence in 3 years is going to bring in Federal review...not smart.
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    My iPhone SE lives on and thrives!

That was one of the dumbest rumors ever, and I'm so glad that it can now officially be declared as 100% certified bogus BS!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    So Apple stopped selling iPhone 6 in Sept 2016.....forced obsolescence in 3 years is going to bring in Federal review...not smart.
    I doubt it will prompt any (legitimate) federal investigations.
    But obsoleting a 3 year old phone can have ramifications.

• Reply 13 of 22
    ktappe said:
    So, my iPhone 6 is dead?
    Yes. This has been rumored for months. The issue is the iPhone 5e and iPhone 6 only have 1Gb of RAM for the OS to use. This isn't enough anymore (as evidenced by how slow my iPhone 6 has gotten lately trying to run some parts of iOS 12). All phones from the iPhone 6S onward have at least 2Gb of RAM.
    The "1Gb of Ram' story may be true -- but I'm not buying it.

My iPhone 6+ is running iOS12 just fine and I don't see any major leaps in iOS13 that it couldn't handle.

I think more likely is that the iPhone 6 line was their first attempt at larger phones and was the source of both #BendGate and #BatteryGate.  And Apple may be tiring of dealing with the ongoing problems from both issues.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    iPhone 6 is not a 3 year old phone, it was released in Sept 2014, that's almost 5 years ago.

I guess that the A8 chip just doesn't make the cut anymore. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    apple ][ said:
    iPhone 6 is not a 3 year old phone, it was released in Sept 2014, that's almost 5 years ago.

For those who bought one in 2016, its a 3 year old phone.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Oh, screw off. The 6 was released in 2014, and is ancient by smartphone standards, since speeds are essentially doubling every year. "Forced obsolescence"? You got 5 years of HUGE OS updates for the device. Tell me, what other smart phone on the PLANET gets that kind of support, apart from the iPhone? I'm assuming of course you're trolling and this does not personally affect you. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would expect the iPhone 6 to run iOS13 even reasonably. And not releasing any more updates does not equal "forced obsolescence". It will continue working just fine. What a trash post, lacking any real rationality, objectivity, or reason.
    FileMakerFellerwilliamlondonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 22
    slurpy said:
    Oh, screw off. The 6 was released in 2014, and is ancient by smartphone standards, since speeds are essentially doubling every year. "Forced obsolescence"? You got 5 years of HUGE OS updates for the device. Tell me, what other smart phone on the PLANET gets that kind of support, apart from the iPhone? I'm assuming of course you're trolling and this does not personally affect you. I don't see how anyone in their right mind would expect the iPhone 6 to run iOS13 even reasonably. And not releasing any more updates does not equal "forced obsolescence". It will continue working just fine. What a trash post, lacking any real rationality, objectivity, or reason.
    True:   IF you bought in 2014
    Not so true:  IF you bought it in 2016
  • Reply 18 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    apple ][ said:

For those who bought one in 2016, its a 3 year old phone.
    Not being able to run iOS13, does NOT make the phone obsolete. It will continue to run as it does today.
    Like complaining your 10 year old car is obsolete because it doesn't offer newer safety features that didn't exist when it was built.
    roundaboutnowwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 19 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    slurpy said:
    True:   IF you bought in 2014
    Not so true:  IF you bought it in 2016
    What's your point? You bought a device that was released 2 years prior. By the end of the update cycle, you got much more than what advertised with the iPhone 6. Seems many of you are so naive as to how technology and software actually works. There's only so much optimization you can do, when a device doesn't even have a FRACTION of the power of newer devices, and you want to add compelling features that takes advantage of modern chipsets. It's not magic. The iPhone 6 is incredibly slow by today's standards, and it was not meant for iOS13 features and scope. So either a massive amount of features would be cut, or it would have very compromised performance. 

These aren't desktop chips that see incremental improvements each year, they are mobile chips that have massive leaps in power every generation. This was a reasonable decision, and if you have zero interest in having a phone newer than the 6, nor all the advantages that would being in every single respect, I don't see why you think you're entitled to every latest cutting edge OS feature. The iPhone 6 has horrible specs by today's standards, a very poor camera, slow wireless connectivity, etc. You're fine with that, yet you demand a software update that will be released at the end of 2019. This is utterly childish. Even if you bought the iPhone 6 at the very last day it was being sold, you still would have got 3 more solid years of updates and a shitload of new features. Not sure how you can scoff at that. If you really cared about the latest software features, why wouldn't you be willing to spend a bit of money, and get a 7 or even a 6S, which would both provide a huge leap of performance over yours? 
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 22
    slurpy said:
    Funny what a little digging will get you about the best selling iPhone of all time....  I was wrong I'll admit it....they actually continued to sell the iPhone 6 thru 2017..so Screw Yourself Slurpy

"The iPhone 6 was relaunched with 32 GB of storage in Asian markets in February 2017 as a midrange/budget iPhone. It was later expanded to Europe,[23][24] before hitting the US markets in May 2017,[25] and Canada in July 2017.[26] . The iPhone 6 supports iOS 891011 and 12 before being dropped by iOS 13."