New iOS 13 feature uses Siri smarts to thwart spam calls

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    gatorguy said:
    flydog said:
    Guess you missed this part:

When enabled, Silence unknown callers "uses Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone from numbers in Contacts, Mail, and Messages.
    Apple is reading your mail? /s

Apple has always read your mail. They’ve been extracting phone numbers and calendar dates from messages for years. 

What they haven’t been doing is harvesting this information so they can spam the crap out of you with it as soon as you hit the next Google page. 

Oh, nearly forgot … /s
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

MikeLV said:
    I don't know why there is no feature on iPhone to block callers with no phone number or labeled by caller ID as "Unknown". Those are the biggest annoyances. Block by area code would also be nice.
    Agreed. I never answer a call from an unknown number. I let voicemail handle it. 
  • Reply 23 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:
    gatorguy said:
    flydog said:
    Guess you missed this part:

When enabled, Silence unknown callers "uses Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone from numbers in Contacts, Mail, and Messages.
    Apple is reading your mail? /s

Apple has always read your mail. They’ve been extracting phone numbers and calendar dates from messages for years. 

What they haven’t been doing is harvesting this information so they can spam the crap out of you with it as soon as you hit the next Google page. 

Oh, nearly forgot … /s
    LOL... Figured you'd notice the /s tag I used. 
    While it took awhile for them to come around (too, TOO long IMO) Google doesn't read your email for ads either which you implied they do yet failed to acknowledge they don't. 

I'm sure there's going to be readers that miss both of our /s tags and don't realize we weren't to be taken seriously with our comments.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 24 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now here’s a question for the phone phreakers and hackers out there: I’ve actually gotten calls on my iPhone from spammers using MY OWN number. How is that possible?
  • Reply 25 of 28
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Rayz2016 said:

MikeLV said:
    I don't know why there is no feature on iPhone to block callers with no phone number or labeled by caller ID as "Unknown". Those are the biggest annoyances. Block by area code would also be nice.
    Agreed. I never answer a call from an unknown number. I let voicemail handle it. 
    For some business people that might not be a very good option.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Now here’s a question for the phone phreakers and hackers out there: I’ve actually gotten calls on my iPhone from spammers using MY OWN number. How is that possible?
    It's possible because caller ID was not built with security in mind. It was expected that everyone could trust the information being sent. For a slightly more technical explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing ;
  • Reply 27 of 28
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    kevin kee said:
    I would call the ability to distinguish a certain pattern (in this case phone numbers and its related references as opposed to any random numbers) an AI since it requires a neural logic learning.
    In the programming world, we call that a "regular expression". :wink: 

Seriously though, the variety of ways in which phone numbers can be represented in text and email can be a challenge for automated systems.  I don't think it's a stretch to claim "AI" is at work to find them.  Simple AI perhaps, but AI nonetheless.
    I’ve often said that nuclear launches that start off WWIII will be because of “regular expressions”.  
  • Reply 28 of 28
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    hagar said:
    ktappe said:
    Why would this require Siri? It's simply referencing the incoming # against a database. It's extremely straightforward from an engineering perspective.
    Siri is the name of a variety of AI-based technologies. In iOS12 "siri" reviews your mail and messages for data that looks like phone numbers, email address and the like and presents these to the user as needed. For example when receiving a call from a number not in your contacts, Siri may furnish a message "Maybe: PERSONS NAME", where that name has been automatically gathered from a email/message source. Similarly these contact details can be easily added to existing or new contacts.

This new feature likely takes that existing iOS 12 capability and provides it with the skill to automatically reject unfamiliar numbers/facetimes. There is an expectation that the feature does a little more to thwart spam calls, since Apple would be able to gather a statistical model of spoofed phone numbers.
    Collecting phone numbers from several sources and reference that list when a call comes in. Not sure if that counts as AI, seems more like a marketing gimmick to call it Siri.
    Simple. It’s AI because they use AI techniques to provide this feature.