Apple's Mac Pro efforts started well before the April 2017 announcement

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple had the new Mac Pro in the works for several years, even before the declarations in early 2017 that it was being worked on, making it clear that this is a carefully crafted machine with serious thought behind what went into it.

Quality takes time

The new Mac Pro was announced at the WWDC keynote on Monday, a plan that had been in the works for well over two years behind the scenes. Apple had originally thought that they would release the new Mac Pro in 2018.

In 2017, Apple had announced that they would be releasing a new Mac Pro, assuaging the fears that Apple would be abandoning its professional market. At that point, Apple said that they would be focusing on a modular design that would be easier to update, and that there would be a "pro display" released alongside of it -- but revealed nothing else.

However, it became clear to Apple that they would not be able to ship the new Mac Pro until 2019.

A Focus on function

Apple's new Mac Pro features a unique design. The iconic hollow circles, which are machined from the aluminum of the case, allows for increased air flow, more than would usually be allowed on a front-facing grate. This was a choice that was in place at Apple's design labs for quite some time, even before the new Mac Pro was conceived.

Apple's ultimate solution was the $5999 Mac Pro, a product intended for high-end needs. A look at the internal components shows that this is a serious workhorse machine, not something for the casual consumer.

In addition to creating a functional front to the Mac Pro, they also wanted to create a monitor that could be on par with reference displays, which can often cost well above $15,000. This makes the $6000 Pro Display XDR monitor and stand seem like a bargain in comparison.

Axios, in discussing the new Mac Pro, mentioned that Apple had some of these reference displays set up for users to compare the units with Apple's Pro Display XDR.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS
    In this week's WWDC Apple will be introducing SwiftUI which means any iOS program can also be made available to macOS. I think AppleInsider could check that "Mac" box so that those of us who use Macs can gain access to the functionality of the app mentioned above.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    dysamoria said:
    This is a pretty content-free article. Also, stop throwing around the word “iconic”. Learn what it means and when it is relevant. This just-announced machine is not “iconic” in any way other than its self-caricaturing price.
    It's based off the iconic Mac Pros of the past.

The price is cheap.
    I blocked that silly troll long ago. He hates everything, not even sure why he comes here, other than to express his displeasure with the world. LOL. 

He's incorrect, of course. The new MP and it's uniquely circled grill is iconic -- immediately so. 
    edited June 2019 cornchiplolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    dysamoria said:
    This is a pretty content-free article. Also, stop throwing around the word “iconic”. Learn what it means and when it is relevant. This just-announced machine is not “iconic” in any way other than its self-caricaturing price.

The price is cheap.
    I blocked that silly troll long ago. He hates everything, not even sure why he comes here, other than to express his displeasure with the world. LOL. 

He's incorrect, of course. The new MP and it's uniquely circled grill is iconic -- immediately so. 
    After the translucent iMac came out, every accessory maker on the planet started putting their products
    in candy-coloured translucent plastic cases. I guess we have a few years of bubble lattice to look forward to now.
    caladanianchiaJWSCcornchipwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 13
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    After the translucent iMac came out, every accessory maker on the planet started putting their products
    in candy-coloured translucent plastic cases. I guess we have a few years of bubble lattice to look forward to now.
    Just wait... by the end of the year, Chinese knockoffs will be making cases similar to the new Mac Pro, and the grater-heads that buy them and install generic PC hardware in them will put out their typical BS nonsense about how they were able to make a faster PC Ryzen Threadripper for $500 and think it's the exact same thing.
    entropyslolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 13
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,320member
    I just hope that the new Mac Pro sells very well and encourages Apple to offer other upgradeable Macs.
    cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I just hope that the new Mac Pro sells very well and encourages Apple to offer other upgradeable Macs.
    I hope this as well, but doubt many prosumers or even pros will be able to afford this marble of a machine and a screen. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    dysamoria said:

The price is cheap.

yep. it'll be everywhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    LordeHawkLordeHawk Posts: 168member
    It’s funny to me when someone states this machine is overpriced.  My friends and coworkers that are true Pros have told me this is a very affordable tool.  Additionally, they told me compared to their incomes, it’s a cheap investment.  I personally use an iMac Pro for my creative work and even though I don’t require a Mac Pro, I will lease one next year because it’s easily affordable and a tax write off.  Find me a pro that has a machine this powerful and a 32” reference display for under 10k.
    lollivercat52michelb76watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 13
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    It is build not for now but for next 5-10 ears. Beauty or ugliness is subjective thing that is discussed by people that do not need it anyway. :-)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    LordeHawk said:
    It’s funny to me when someone states this machine is overpriced.  My friends and coworkers that are true Pros have told me this is a very affordable tool.  Additionally, they told me compared to their incomes, it’s a cheap investment.  I personally use an iMac Pro for my creative work and even though I don’t require a Mac Pro, I will lease one next year because it’s easily affordable and a tax write off.  Find me a pro that has a machine this powerful and a 32” reference display for under 10k.
    Yes, people who say that, know not of what they speak. In 2012 the top end Mac Pro with a 12 core, 3.2 GHz Nehalem CPU and 8 GB RAM cost $6474. This new machine costs less and probably has 10 times the power. People who need a powerful Mac to do powerful work will buy this wthout batting an eye.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tobiantobian Posts: 151member
    frantisek said:
    It is build not for now but for next 5-10 ears. Beauty or ugliness is subjective thing that is discussed by people that do not need it anyway. :-)
    So many ears? I can almost hear that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    He’s actually correct - insofar that the New MAC Pro is directly based on the former Mac Pro cheesegrater design, and the Mac Cube (ie the top round handle used to lift the enclosure off). As such, if anything, it is derivative - and it also means that some idiot in Apple management had to eat major crow, having to return to a design that he was hoping to bury for good with the failed 2013 model. Easy to figure out who that was - who was crowing about the Mac Pro 2013 design, and who was absent at this year’s keynote?