Craig Federighi says iPadOS created because iPad is now a 'truly distinct experience'

Posted:
in iPad
The splintering of the iPad-specific "iPadOS" from the iPhone's "iOS" is due to it being a "truly distinct experience" separate from the company's other platforms, according to Apple's Craig Federighi in a post-WWDC keynote interview.

Among the announcements relating to its operating systems, Apple revealed it was making a major change to iOS that would refine its purpose. Rather than continuing to combine iPhone and iPad under one operating system, Apple launched iPadOS as its own version just for the tablet line, offering more features than iOS that take advantage of the bigger screen size.

"It's become a truly distinct experience," said Apple senior vice president of software engineering Craig Federighi in comments made to CNET on Monday. "It's not an iPhone experience. It's not a Mac experience. The name is a recognition of that."

The shift in attitude in using iPads for work instead of notebooks has opened up possibilities for people to accomplish tasks. While not directly calling iPadOS and iPads a replacement for the traditional notebook, Federighi suggested "we've expanded the domain where people can say the iPad is the best solution" with the launch of the new operating system.

When asked about his computing needs, Federighi advised he used both iPad and Mac for his work, as he manages teams that produces software for both platforms. On a personal level, Federighi admits he's spending more time with an iPad.

AppleInsider will be reporting live throughout WWDC 2019, starting with the keynote on Monday, June 3. Get every announcement as it happens by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and by making sure to follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider, Facebook and Instagram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So …

Will the number of pundits who swear that Apple is merging their operating systems increase or decrease?

chasmtmaysamrodfastasleeplolliverStrangeDaysmacplusplusFileMakerFellermattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Rayz2016 said:
    So …

Will the number of pundits who swear that Apple is merging their operating systems increase or decrease?

I don’t know but the minute some new feature or app appears in iOS but not in iPadOS, or in iPadOS but not iOS there will be gigantic rants much like the ones generated by the iPad not having a native calculator app. That one is still bubbling and boiling.
    edited June 2019 leftoverbaconwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    As demonstrated during the keynote, the iPad indeed is capable of some tricks and functionality that is not able to be done on the iPhone, so I get the need for a distinct iPadOS. This also hints at future developements that may further evolve the iPad away from the iPhone. Ultimately, for most users, the iPad will replace the Mac, but I don't foresee a Mac-less future -- I think the Mac will carry on as a "truck" for users who need the extra power for a long time to come, but the reality is that most users don't and shouldn't be saddled with having to buy an expensive Mac or Windows machine when mobile has already shown that it can handle the day-to-day for most people.
    MacQccanukstormn2itivguylolliverStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 33
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Or in other words, the iPad is being positioned to replace laptops.
    MacQcEric_WVGG
  • Reply 5 of 33
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I see that iPadOS (bit of a mouthful) will have a download manager. I wonder if it will also get support for .zip and .torrent files?
  • Reply 6 of 33
    AF_HittAF_Hitt Posts: 143member
    hentaiboy said:
    I see that iPadOS (bit of a mouthful) will have a download manager. I wonder if it will also get support for .zip and .torrent files?
    .zip files, they already said Files could handle zipping and unzipping. .torrent, however, I doubt will ever be supported. Apple has an obligation to their shareholders and their business partners in the movie and TV industry to prevent piracy as much as possible.
    jbdragonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    chasm said:
    As demonstrated during the keynote, the iPad indeed is capable of some tricks and functionality that is not able to be done on the iPhone, so I get the need for a distinct iPadOS. This also hints at future developements that may further evolve the iPad away from the iPhone. Ultimately, for most users, the iPad will replace the Mac, but I don't foresee a Mac-less future -- I think the Mac will carry on as a "truck" for users who need the extra power for a long time to come, but the reality is that most users don't and shouldn't be saddled with having to buy an expensive Mac or Windows machine when mobile has already shown that it can handle the day-to-day for most people.
    True that!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 33
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    spacekid said:
    Or to be more precise, iPad is being positioned to replace mainstream laptops, as in MB / MBA class laptops, not MPB class laptops.
    gregoriusmlolliver
  • Reply 9 of 33
    I will continue my tradition of buying the most expensive "pro" iPad and never using it for work or multitasking. That all still looks a cumbersome mess to me.

Though I am excited about being able to import photos directly into Lightroom. A download manager sounds mighty useful as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    So, IOS13 and IOS iPad is great, but ever happened to multi user accounts on iPad?  This is a big disappointment! 
    netrox
  • Reply 11 of 33
    jumpcutterjumpcutter Posts: 100member
    I do not put much crediblity in Craig's words or anyone in Apple's leadership! The iPad Pro which I recently bought is an annoying piece of tech. Constantly rotating to landscape mode with no motivation. One port for charging and access. Impractical design. The demo of the great iPadOs was a bit suspect. The cut and paste functions seemed a bit confusing. I do not trust Apple anymore and will be selling my Apple devices because the quality just isn't there anymore and the software is suspect. I despise Tim Cook and the rest of Apple leadership. They do not listen to their customers.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    jmgregory1jmgregory1 Posts: 474member
    I’m spending more time on my iPad Pro 12.9”,  in part due to my travel schedule, and also because it’s so easy to work on from anywhere.  That’s good for work, but bad for my personal and family time, as I’m often grabbing the iPP to respond to an email or send a spreadsheet at 10pm or worse, 2am when I wake up and look at who’s emailed me.

I can’t wait for the improvements to the OS that should solve many of the issues that make working on the iPad a bit clunky.  When I’m in my office, I’ll generally use both my iMac and iPP simultaneously, with my iPad running apps that work better than their web-based versions and the iMac manages email and safari work. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Do you think they will one day let us have non-contiguous icons on the Home screen?  I'd love to have a blank row or "holes" of icons to better visually separate out groups (without having to put them in folders).  Such and obvious thing and yet, 9 years after the introduction of the iPad, still a no-show.  Oh well...
    gregoriusmroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 33
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    My iPad Air 2 lives!

i just won a free 10” display for my Macbook Pro!
    lolliverDoctorQn2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    The iPad Pro which I recently bought is an annoying piece of tech.
    Then why did you buy it?

Constantly rotating to landscape mode with no motivation. 
    I use a 12.9” iPad Pro daily and haven’t ever had that issue since it first came out.

One port for charging and access. 
    I have to charge it about once every five days and it typically happens overnight so not an issue I have. YMMV.

The cut and paste functions seemed a bit confusing.
    3-finger pinch, 3-finger unpinch, 3-finger swipe. If 3 new gestures are confusing I’m concerned there may be bigger issues here.
    I do not trust Apple anymore and will be selling my Apple devices because the quality just isn't there anymore and the software is suspect.
    Which quality mobile devices will you be switching to?
    I despise Tim Cook and the rest of Apple leadership. They do not listen to their customers.
    I’m a customer and much of what was shown yesterday seemed like they were listening to me.
    edited June 2019 headfull0wineleftoverbaconroundaboutnowlolliverStrangeDaysthtDoctorQmuthuk_vanalingamn2itivguywelshdog
  • Reply 16 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    This is a bit confusing - the iPad has had a 'distinct experience' for quite some time, with features and capabilities from the iPhone (and Mac.) Why bother changing the name? Unless they are planning on making the programming APIs completely separate from iOS. 

I really don't care what they call it, I hope they continue to improve and mature i(pad)OS to make workflows better and easier. There is a lot you can do on an iPad, it is just that it is frequently significantly more cumbersome and awkward than working on a Mac. Maybe chaining the name will also cut the imaginary cord between the iPad and the iPhone to make things easier? 
  • Reply 17 of 33
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

I do not put much crediblity in Craig's words or anyone in Apple's leadership! The iPad Pro which I recently bought is an annoying piece of tech. Constantly rotating to landscape mode with no motivation. One port for charging and access. Impractical design. The demo of the great iPadOs was a bit suspect. The cut and paste functions seemed a bit confusing. I do not trust Apple anymore and will be selling my Apple devices because the quality just isn't there anymore and the software is suspect. I despise Tim Cook and the rest of Apple leadership. They do not listen to their customers.
    Between me, my wife and our kids, we have several iPads in our house and have rarely, if ever had them rotate spontaneously. To the contrary, they seem to be more accurate than my cousin's android tablet in terms of getting the orientation right. Regardless, you can always use the rotation lock. Have you brought it in to have someone look at it? 

To be honest, reading your rant, your rationale seems a bit suspect.
    lolliverStrangeDaysn2itivguywelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    mpw_amherstmpw_amherst Posts: 563member
    spacekid said:
    Or to be more precise, iPad is being positioned to replace mainstream laptops, as in MB / MBA class laptops, not MPB class laptops.
    Some may ask if that's why they've made the keyboards so bad. Personally I don't have an issue with the butterfly keyboard and when I tried in the past to use an iPad Pro with a Smart Keyboard the whole thing felt much the same weight - might it even be heavier? - than simply carrying a MacBook. And on that basis I'd rather have a real keyboard, the whole thing engineered to work together (in the sense of being in the same enclosure) and the advantages of macOS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 33
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    How much are you selling the devices for?  
    lolliverDoctorQFileMakerFellerEsquireCatswelshdogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 33
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Multiuser accounts are sorely needed for iPad... hopefully the next version will support it.
    lollivertyler82watto_cobra