Apple's break-up of iTunes will have little impact on libraries and playback for Mac users...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,005member
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:
    But will there still be a store? Will we still be able to buy tracks?
    I'm assuming this is sarcasm, but I'll answer anyway in case it isn't.

Yes.

Rayz2016 said:
    Mrs Rayz2016’s sister rang the day before the show to tell her that she needed to back up all her music because Apple would be deleting it and only supporting streaming in the next release. 

Where does this nonsense come from?

All the stupid anti-Apple rags publishing DOOM articles.

This is confusing people.
    What anti-Apple rags?

A quick search:

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/12/06/apple-terminate-music-downloads/

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/12/apple-to-phase-out-itunes-store-by-the-beginning-of-2019-report/

Can't find the big article that made it seem Apple will no longer support downloads.

Further reading informed me that it will no longer be called "iTunes". Fucking lame to drop the iconic name..... What will the store be called? Now I'm seriously concerned the store may have been dropped.
    From the Catalina features page: "Music Store - For users who still like to own their music, the iTunes Store is just a click away." 

I think there are self-help books out there to help with not freaking out by sweating the small stuff when someone moves your cheese. Or cuts it, or something.

Instead of looking for of the the poorly sourced articles of doom, it's not that hard to look for the actual information on the actual Apple.com website. Purchasing music to download 
    isn't going away anytime soon, but it's no longer the main focus of the business.

Seriously, consumer-owned recorded music collections are only a little over a century old, and any given format or standard has only lasted maybe just long enough for people to get comfortable and think that's the way it always was. In the last 120 years, recorded music formats have included: piano rolls, Edison cylinders, 78 rpm records, 33 rpm (and 45 rpm) records, high-fidelity 33s and 45s, stereo 33s and 45s, quad vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, cassette tape, 8-track cartridges, CDs, SACDs, DVD Audio, Blu-Ray Audio, pirated mp3s swapped over the internet, iTunes and other similar purchased digital downloads, Spotify and Apple Music streaming services. That list is not comprehensive. Depending on your age, probably one or two of those formats is what you're emotionally invested in. This stuff changes. 
    edited June 2019 roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 26
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:

Yes.

Rayz2016 said:
    Mrs Rayz2016’s sister rang the day before the show to tell her that she needed to back up all her music because Apple would be deleting it and only supporting streaming in the next release. 

What anti-Apple rags?

A quick search:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/12/apple-to-phase-out-itunes-store-by-the-beginning-of-2019-report/

Can't find the big article that made it seem Apple will no longer support downloads.

Further reading informed me that it will no longer be called "iTunes". Fucking lame to drop the iconic name..... What will the store be called? Now I'm seriously concerned the store may have been dropped.
    The store is absolutely not dropped. More shortly.
    Great. If it's still called "iTunes" even better.

AppleZulu said:
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:

Yes.

Rayz2016 said:

What anti-Apple rags?

A quick search:

From the Catalina features page: "Music Store - For users who still like to own their music, the iTunes Store is just a click away." 

I think there are self-help books out there to help with not freaking out by sweating the small stuff when someone moves your cheese. Or cuts it, or something.

Instead of looking for of the the poorly sourced articles of doom, it's not that hard to look for the actual information on the actual Apple.com website. Purchasing music to download isn't going away anytime soon, but it's no longer the main focus of the business.

Seriously, consumer-owned recorded music collections are only a little over a century old, and any given format or standard has only lasted maybe just long enough for people to get comfortable and think that's the way it always was. In the last 120 years, recorded music formats have included: piano rolls, Edison cylinders, 78 rpm records, 33 rpm (and 45 rpm) records, high-fidelity 33s and 45s, stereo 33s and 45s, quad vinyl, reel-to-reel tape, cassette tape, 8-track cartridges, CDs, SACDs, DVD Audio, Blu-Ray Audio, pirated mp3s swapped over the internet, iTunes and other similar purchased digital downloads, Spotify and Apple Music streaming services. That list is not comprehensive. Depending on your age, probably one or two of those formats is what you're emotionally invested in. This stuff changes. 

It's not "small stuff" the iTunes store is one of the biggest innovations in history. The doom articles never influence me, I just couldn't find any official sources. Thanks.

To clarify: I wasn't worried about libraries being deleted (no way Apple would do that), I was more worried the "iTunes" name would be replaced with something like "Music Store". Stupid impulse response on my part.
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 26
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:

Yes.

Rayz2016 said:

What anti-Apple rags?

A quick search:

The store is absolutely not dropped. More shortly.
    Great. If it's still called "iTunes" even better.

AppleZulu said:
    dysamoria said:
    DAalseth said:

Yes.

Rayz2016 said:

What anti-Apple rags?

A quick search:

Instead of looking for of the the poorly sourced articles of doom, it's not that hard to look for the actual information on the actual Apple.com website. Purchasing music to download isn't going away anytime soon, but it's no longer the main focus of the business.

It's not "small stuff" the iTunes store is one of the biggest innovations in history. The doom articles never influence me, I just couldn't find any official sources. Thanks.
    Oh, c'mon. When you look at the historical arc of recorded music media, iTunes was an innovation, sure, but not one of the biggest in history. From the longer view, iTunes will be seen as a transitional footnote.  It rescued the short-sighted record labels from themselves, because they resisted going online and were being cannibalized by Napster and other pirated online trading. iTunes offered a higher-quality codec and a legitimate means to buy music online. It also served as a short-term transition from the business model where consumers buy and collect copies (licenses) of recorded music, to the business model where consumers pay a fee to a library for license to borrow copies of recorded music.

In the longer view, streaming services are the bigger innovation, because they fundamentally change the way consumers interact with recorded music. Up until this point, most people bought a few recordings and that's it. A few people amassed larger collections, but even then, they were limited by money and storage space. In the new paradigm, any consumer has access to almost anything out there. Anyone at any time can go from listening to the same handful of favorites to exploring the unfamiliar, without the prior aversion to risk spending money on something the buyer might not like. A kid discovering music today will know no bounds. This will have a huge impact on musical composition and creation in the future. Now that's an innovation.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    chasm said:
    DAalseth said:
    If Apple eliminated selling tracks, I'm going to look at getting my music elsewhere.. 
    But they haven’t. Apple Music plays classical just fine, incidentally. Why not give the free trial a try and see for yourself?
    Well, as I mentioned I’m looking for music I can take with me when I don’t have a connection. Also I’m happy with the classical streaming service I have.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    DAalseth said:
    chasm said:
    DAalseth said:
    If Apple eliminated selling tracks, I'm going to look at getting my music elsewhere.. 
    But they haven’t. Apple Music plays classical just fine, incidentally. Why not give the free trial a try and see for yourself?
    Well, as I mentioned I’m looking for music I can take with me when I don’t have a connection. Also I’m happy with the classical streaming service I have.
    As long as you're paid up on your subscription, you can download whatever you want from Apple Music and take it with you far, far away from any cell tower or WiFi router. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 26
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 421member
    Presumably we will still be able to rip CDs too?

I still buy albums on CD, for a variety of reasons including the obscurity of some, though I almost never listen to them: one rip into iTunes and I have all the convenience of a download. It's also the case, if you're an albums person, that music can be cheaper on CD and sometimes it's even packaged with a worthwhile booklet!
    watto_cobra