Hands on with the best features of iOS 13 and iPadOS

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

mr. h said:

mr. h said:
    entropys said:
    The only thing could be multiuser support for ipadOS. It’s in TVOS though.
    When watching the keynote I got all excited that multi-user support in tvOS might carry over to iPadOS, but no. It's a very disappointing and cynical move by Apple to leave this feature out of iPadOS.
    No, it’s not cynical or conspiratory. … iPads are personal devices
    iPads are only personal devices because Apple cynically forces them to be so. The technical issues to which you allude are not a problem; they have been well solved for over a decade in macOS. iPad is available with up to 128 GB storage, and iPad Pro is available with up to 1 TB, and the "large apps" would only take up one lot of storage space anyway; it'd only be personal files and preferences that are user-specific (see macOS). Oh yeah, and they've also already done most/all of the work with "Shared iPad" for education.

It would be easy for Apple to make iPad OS multi-user, but Apple doesn't want to do that because then you'd get people making their kids share an iPad instead of buying them one each. Admittedly I do that already but I'm teetering on the edge of buying a second one. So Apple's policy of refusing multi-user support in iPad OS may achieve its aim of selling more iPads, but I will continue to view that as a cynical consumer-unfriendly policy.
    It’s just you saying it’s cynical. That certainly doesn’t make it so.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The HomeKit Secure Video feature stores ten days of "clips" in iCloud for free. Craig said "clips". That probably means whenever there's "motion." Not ten days of streaming 24-hour video. Depending on what your camera is watching, that could be less than one hour of video over a 24 hour period.
    I’d be surprised if anyone thought different. 
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    melgross said:
    mr. h said:
    entropys said:
    The only thing could be multiuser support for ipadOS. It’s in TVOS though.
    When watching the keynote I got all excited that multi-user support in tvOS might carry over to iPadOS, but no. It's a very disappointing and cynical move by Apple to leave this feature out of iPadOS.

Changing the subject...

In macOS, when Dark Mode is enabled, you can set some apps to still display in "light mode", for example Maps, and messages in Mail. Can you do the same thing in iOS 13?
    Why do you guys always look to some conspiratorial reason for things? The aTv is a family device. As such, multiuser support makes sense. The ipad, just like the phone, has always been intended as a personal device. While some want multiuser support, and who knows, maybe someday it will come if Apple sees enough demand, most don’t care. I don’t want to be sharing my phone and tablet.
    Agreed. It’s a personal device with limited storage. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Agreed. It’s a personal device with limited storage. 

iPad Pro max storage = 1 TB.

And the MacBook Air base configuration is still only 128 GB. Should Apple disable multi-user support in macOS running on the MacBook Air?
    edited June 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 29
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    melgross said:
    crosslad said:
    I have a thumb drive with lightening connector. Will this work with the new files app on my iPad 2018?
    The iPad needs a USB C connector. So far, that is just for current 12.9 models, though I suspect Apple will add them to all new iPad models going forwards.
    You sure about that? Isn’t lightning just a connector for a USB bus? Also the 11 has USB-C
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Will external storage work over lighting connection in IOS 13?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
  • Reply 28 of 29
    melgross said:
    crosslad said:
    I have a thumb drive with lightening connector. Will this work with the new files app on my iPad 2018?
    The iPad needs a USB C connector. So far, that is just for current 12.9 models, though I suspect Apple will add them to all new iPad models going forwards.
    You sure about that? Isn’t lightning just a connector for a USB bus? Also the 11 has USB-C
    No. Lightning doesn’t implement the full usb specs. I forgot the 11 has it too. But those are the latest pro models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    nitro said:
    According to Apple, no.