Here's how to see Apple's new Mac Pro & Pro Display XR in your office with your iPhone or ...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
Apple has allowed users to take advantage of augmented reality on an an iPhone or iPad to see how the new Mac Pro and Pro Display in their home or office.

Visiting Apple's store pages for the new Mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR on an iOS device now features an option to view either object in augmented reality. This allows the user to drop a 3D model into their home, giving them an idea how it may look in their space.

Users must click on the "see in AR" option and follow the instructions presented on screen. This includes moving the iPhone or iPad around the area, allowing the device to scan for appropriate flat surfaces to drop the object on. We suggest trying this in a wide open area at first to get a feel for how the AR feature is going to work.

Once you successfully drop the Mac Pro or Pro Display XDR into your space, it can be moved with with one finger, shrink or grown with a pinch, or rotated with a two-finger twist.

Apple's new Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR were announced on Monday, two years after Apple publicly stated they were working on it.

The Mac Pro will be able to support up to 2TB of RAM in the 28-core version, though the 12-core and 16-core will be limited to 1TB. The Mac Pro starts at $5,999 and will ship at some point in the fall.

The Pro Display XDR was designed to rival high-end reference displays. The Pro Display XDR is $5,000, with an optional stand upgrade costing an additional $1,000, and will ship in the fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member
    This is pretty neat. The scale and perspective are a bit wonky, but it's a close enough approximation and worthwhile real-world implementation of AR.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    All of the news and social media posts about the news out of WWDC is about the $1k stand. Even the audience was gasping and laughing.

Apple should have just incorporated the price of the stand into the monitor.
    pulseimageschemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 27
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    I have to say, that computer is pretty ugly.
    kestralchemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 27
    tyler82 said:
    All of the news and social media posts about the news out of WWDC is about the $1k stand.
    I have a feeling that reaction will change once people get a hands-on with the stand. My guess is that there's something very unique about the mechanism used to move the screen around, i.e., way more fluid and precise than what people are used to. I had a $250 Ergotron arm mount that had a lot of quirks in terms of holding the height or tilt of the screen correctly for longer periods of time. It required a lot of experimentation with the tension settings etc. It didn't cost $999, but it was also a mixed bag in terms of how it really performed.
    racerhomie3lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tyler82 said:
    All of the news and social media posts about the news out of WWDC is about the $1k stand. Even the audience was gasping and laughing.

Over two hours of fantastic news and announcements and it all boils down to finding a negative and pounding away on it. And it’s not only the tech world, it’s our entire society. Social media has let loose a monster that remained chained for many decades. From body shaming to bullying, from politics to religion, from health issues to money management it’s become vicious and predatory. Just take these very AI forums that are filled with viciousness and hate all day long. It’s as if the only way you get any credibility here is to savagely attack Apple and its management team day after day after day. Any positive response is pounced upon as sycophancy and fanboyism. 

So you go right ahead and keep pounding away at your favorite negatives. Trash Apple a much as you can about the monitor stand. Bleat it out to the universe. I guess that's what you think you need to do to keep any credibility here.  
    zhtfreakmacseekerracerhomie3smiffy31StrangeDaysjohnbsiriuscreateriololliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 27
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    When we watched WWDC, the pro reminded me of the old G5. But, HOLY COW, who can afford those prices? And $1K for a stand. They pride themselves on being cheaper than others but every year Apple’s stuff gets pricier and pricier. I’d like to have one but I don’t have a spare $10K. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 7 of 27
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Can Apple do an AR of how many stacks of dollar bills it would take to buy them
  • Reply 8 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    tyler82 said:

Over two hours of fantastic news and announcements and it all boils down to finding a negative and pounding away on it. And it’s not only the tech world, it’s our entire society. Social media has let loose a monster that remained chained for many decades. From body shaming to bullying, from politics to religion, from health issues to money management it’s become vicious and predatory. Just take these very AI forums that are filled with viciousness and hate all day long. It’s as if the only way you get any credibility here is to savagely attack Apple and its management team day after day after day. Any positive response is pounced upon as sycophancy and fanboyism. 

So you go right ahead and keep pounding away at your favorite negatives. Trash Apple a much as you can about the monitor stand. Bleat it out to the universe. I guess that's what you think you need to do to keep any credibility here.  
    "...savagely attack Apple"? Please stop with the melodrama. You do this all the time. I think it's justifiable for folks to be critical of a $999 monitor stand. If  Samsung or some other company released a $999 monitor stand, would you defend it so strongly? Honestly? And whether you realize it or not, you are to some degree perpretuating the "viciousness and hate" when you continually criticize others for being critical. As Sgt. Hulka said, "Lighten up Francis".

edited June 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bigtds said:
    But it has a really nice personality.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 27
    cynegils said:
    The overall price for this machine is pretty close to insanity. The components for the base model, with a 3.5ghz 8 core and accessories, is not worth anything near the starting price of $6K, and that doesn't even include all the necessary parts. And once speed tests confirm that this machine is perhaps 10-20% faster than previous models (like it always is), the gigantic price jump will be even harder to justify. Electronics are getting cheaper to manufacture, not the other way around. I've always purchased high-end macs, but couldn't possible shell out ~$10K simply for a faster Mac. Having started with my Apple Iic back in the 80s, I've always supported and purchased powerful and expandable macs. No more. The apple fan base that has waited for almost 5 years for a new mac pro, only to be greeted with a $10K behemoth, should be livid. It is clear that Apple is trying to make up for decreasing sales by charging completely and totally ridiculous prices. Sadly, I doubt they'll sell more than a handful of these.
    I'm livid, but not surprised with the apple these days. However i didn't think they wold dare go over $3999 for a base model - boy was I wrong!

(and for those of you say the early macs were expensive - back then all computers were expensive and Macs were lightyears ahead of PCs so it was a good relative value at the time. The key words are relative value. early apple - good relative value, 95-98 not so good, Steve Jobs return back to good. The lowering of relative value really started with the trashcan mac pro era 2014 onward. It has been linearly decreasing since then. I think it is safe to say all this has been on Cook's watch, similar to the Gil Amelio's bean counter strategy that killed market share and really damaged the company. I hope apple computer will survive - apple iDevices will but I am really unsure about the mac - no one I know is buying macs anymore - they are priced out.)
  • Reply 11 of 27
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 595member
    pslice said:
    When we watched WWDC, the pro reminded me of the old G5. But, HOLY COW, who can afford those prices? And $1K for a stand. They pride themselves on being cheaper than others but every year Apple’s stuff gets pricier and pricier. I’d like to have one but I don’t have a spare $10K. 
    When are they cheaper? 
  • Reply 12 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    tyler82 said:
    All of the news and social media posts about the news out of WWDC is about the $1k stand.
    I have a feeling that reaction will change once people get a hands-on with the stand. My guess is that there's something very unique about the mechanism used to move the screen around, i.e., way more fluid and precise than what people are used to. I had a $250 Ergotron arm mount that had a lot of quirks in terms of holding the height or tilt of the screen correctly for longer periods of time. It required a lot of experimentation with the tension settings etc. It didn't cost $999, but it was also a mixed bag in terms of how it really performed.
    Exactly. I returned a pricey Ergotron and tried another, still janky feeling and not great. Apple’s will surely be “great” and not janky. That’s value. Value costs.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    pulseimagespulseimages Posts: 595member
    bigtds said:
    When I first saw it I thought wow, so Apple finally conceded and admitted to themselves and the world that they couldn’t design a better mousetrap i.e. Mac Pro. After so many design risks (G4 Cube, iMac) they kind of punted on this and went with what worked in the past. Kind of disappointed honestly that it took them this long to release an update to the trashcan Mac Pro if they were going to just rehash an old design. 
  • Reply 14 of 27
    cynegils said:
    The overall price for this machine is pretty close to insanity. The components for the base model, with a 3.5ghz 8 core and accessories, is not worth anything near the starting price of $6K, and that doesn't even include all the necessary parts. And once speed tests confirm that this machine is perhaps 10-20% faster than previous models (like it always is), the gigantic price jump will be even harder to justify. Electronics are getting cheaper to manufacture, not the other way around. I've always purchased high-end macs, but couldn't possible shell out ~$10K simply for a faster Mac. Having started with my Apple Iic back in the 80s, I've always supported and purchased powerful and expandable macs. No more. The apple fan base that has waited for almost 5 years for a new mac pro, only to be greeted with a $10K behemoth, should be livid. It is clear that Apple is trying to make up for decreasing sales by charging completely and totally ridiculous prices. Sadly, I doubt they'll sell more than a handful of these.
    So much nonsense, so little time.

A machine's value is more than its components. And clearly, the new MP is more than shelf components. 

We're not livid. This is a workstation, it's not for us. It's not a hobbyist or tinkerer machine. It's an ultra-highend workstation.

Try building out similar from HP or Dell.

Summary: You don't need it. You may want it, and be upset you can't afford it, but you don't need it. 
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 27

larz2112 said:
    lkrupp said:
    tyler82 said:

"...savagely attack Apple"? Please stop with the melodrama. You do this all the time. I think it's justifiable for folks to be critical of a $999 monitor stand. If  Samsung or some other company released a $999 monitor stand, would you defend it so strongly? Honestly? And whether you realize it or not, you are to some degree perpretuating the "viciousness and hate" when you continually criticize others for being critical. As Sgt. Hulka said, "Lighten up Francis".

It's expensive because it's a heavy-ass monitor. I use VESA arms for my heavy-ass Mac, and they were hundreds. Guess what? They still suck. They wobble, sink, and generally are janky. I doubt very much Apple's solution will be janky. And that's why it costs more. See how that works? 

Pretending it's the same as some cheap plastic stand for a cheap plastic monitor is disingenuous. 

But it doesnt matter because it's not for you. You won't be buying one of these ultra-highend reference monitors, period. 
    lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 27

cynegils said:
    I think it is safe to say all this has been on Cook's watch, similar to the Gil Amelio's bean counter strategy that killed market share and really damaged the company. I hope apple computer will survive - apple iDevices will but I am really unsure about the mac - no one I know is buying macs anymore - they are priced out.)
    It's not safe to say that at all. In fact, it's outright idiotic to say that. Apple is extremely healthy, the most successful publicly traded company in history, and it's grown to stratospheric heights under Cook, not Amelio. 

I'm sorry you can't afford a Mac, which starts at $799 - a bargain. No one is entitled to the highest-offerings, especially workstations, at entry-level prices.
    lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 27

larz2112 said:
    lkrupp said:
    tyler82 said:

It's expensive because it's a heavy-ass monitor. I use VESA arms for my heavy-ass Mac, and they were hundreds. Guess what? They still suck. They wobble, sink, and generally are janky. I doubt very much Apple's solution will be janky. And that's why it costs more. See how that works? 

Pretending it's the same as some cheap plastic stand for a cheap plastic monitor is disingenuous. 

But it doesnt matter because it's not for you. You won't be buying one of these ultra-highend reference monitors, period. 
    I am fairly certain that $200-300 of the cost of that stand is the "sucker tax". I'm sorry that you made such a poor choice when picking a VESA arm. Next time you should do a little more research, and/or ask me what to buy.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 18 of 27
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    tyler82 said:

Buy then they'd have to do the unprecedented thing of offering a lower price if you pick the VESA mount.

This way they can just have 3 SKUs and the end user can spec it out as needed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    cynegils said:
    Around 2010, I bought a midrange 6 core G5 MacPro (5,1) Cheese Grater and a Cinema HD Display (and I’m still using them by the way).

Per my memory, I paid over $5,000 for both devices.

In fact I bought a second G5 secondhand a few years ago for about $2K with the top of the line 12 core processor that was the last Apple entry for the “CG” G5.  I think that computer was much more expensive than the one I purchased  maybe around $5000 for the G5 alone when made in 2012?

For me the price seems fair considering that the hardware is first rate and for a machine that people will easily use for a decade.

My G5s still look modern and the build quality is spectacular compared to the devices of other manufacturers.

One is my principal computer and one is a headless iTunes server for my Apple TV.

Load them up with RAM and SSDs and they perform well.  Getting decent video cards for them is really their only downside and with difficulty I was able to get cards that drive 2K in them and High Sierra.

Unlike my wife’s 2009 iMac that I replaced the HD with a SSD drive this week (with difficulty), my MacPros allow immediate tinkering to add RAM, PCI cards and drives.  The cooling qualities of the computers are first rate.

It’s ridiculous to cobble together the equivalent in the PC world because frankly those computers will not get automatic software updates nor will they be as easy to service.

A thousand dollars for a stand is expensive but people waste a $1000 on other nonsense these days...tickets to sports games, airfare, purses, Hamilton tickets, rims, botox injections etc etc.
    StrangeDayslolliverpulseimageswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 20 of 27
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,120member
    foregoneconclusion said:
    The Ergotron arms a generic mass market product.

The Apple stand is a custom product for a niche market display. (Kind of like how McLaren brake pads are $1500-$9000 for a set).
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra