Apple is not deleting your iTunes or movie purchases, and it isn't getting out of media sa...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

cmd-z said:
    As long as smart playlists, playlist folders, and song ratings are preserved, I'm good with this change.
    So far so good. Ours have been retained.
    This is encouraging. Where’d the iOS device management stuff move to? Think I missed that part. 
    The Finder itself. We'll be talking more about this tomorrow.

That was brilliant. That was the "why didn't we ever think of this?" highlight of the segment.

I hope it supports drag and drop of media.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    A confirmation from Apple about smart playlists and iTunes Match remaining would be nice. Those are the 2 reasons to require a macOS machine. 

As for CD ripping, after upgrade to Mojave, my LG DVD burner doesn’t even mount CDs anymore...before that I could do it (and I can still rip with iTunes in a virtual windows machine on the same hardware).
  • Reply 23 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    What about app management - in corporate settings, where people are currently using v12.6.5.3?
    Configurator 2
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36

Thanks for the article.

Valid concerns

We don't know everything about how macOS Catalina will work with these apps, though really we know so much that there are just little details we're waiting to see.

We are also curious to find out what Apple does after this. The company keeps speaking of this trio of Mac apps -- Music, Podcasts, and TV -- but there's also already a Books app where you'd imagine audiobooks would go nicely.

Then, too, the TV app is about video. But there Apple isn't making a confusing simplification, not completely. Today there are film and TV awards committees around the world who are struggling to define what the difference is now that Netflix does single dramas that it may or may not put into cinemas.

I thought about these media categories as well, considering that what I watch isn't necessarily a full TV show or a movie (e.g. YouTube or Vimeo clips). Plus, although the TV app now integrates more sources of "video" content, there are still a bunch of apps for other content, at least in iOS. For reading, not only is there the Books app, but there is News, and additional separate news/magazine apps outside of this.

The way I organized these iOS apps into categories was to create a few folders named "Read" "Listen" and "Watch". Later I added a "Sports" folder. With the Mac, it should be simpler since I don't have a big media library--content will mostly be from the new Apple apps or the web. I may have to go with VLC or similar for playback of local files that are not in an Apple compatible format.

What irks me is Podcasts having their own app. Audio should stay together.

Also most podcasters often say "subscribe on iTunes" etc. Kind of a slap on the face.
    Yeah, but it's been a separate app in iOS for like, forever — and saying that is stupid to begin with since "iTunes" hasn't ever been a thing on iOS. It was iPod, then Music IIRC.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36

cmd-z said:
    As long as smart playlists, playlist folders, and song ratings are preserved, I'm good with this change.
    This is encouraging. Where’d the iOS device management stuff move to? Think I missed that part. 

That was brilliant. That was the "why didn't we ever think of this?" highlight of the segment.

Shit, was that in the keynote? I might need to rewatch it. There may have been alcohol involved.
    stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    The new Music app is going to be particularly welcome as it so resembles the Music app on iOS, for instance.
    LOLNO.  Not even.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    rich364rich364 Posts: 6member
    With the change of the folder names... I can't wait for Dropbox to take several days to adjust (I have several terabytes of iTunes data).
  • Reply 28 of 36
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Back up your stuff now. People have had valid concerns about iTunes Cloud Library messing with their tracks in the past. Ideally, they shouldn't, but occasionally it happens.
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36

cmd-z said:

Shit, was that in the keynote? I might need to rewatch it. There may have been alcohol involved.

YES, It was one of those brilliant Apple solutions.

Again, if it supports drag-and-drop of media it will relieve so much headaches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

cmd-z said:

It does, but only in the appropriate pane, for now. Personally, I'd like something a little more Finder-y, but we'll see what it ultimately turns into.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/05/how-iphones-and-ipads-back-up-synchronize-with-ios-13-and-macos-catalina
    edited June 2019 MustSeeUHDTVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 36

cmd-z said:

It does, but only in the appropriate pane, for now. Personally, I'd like something a little more Finder-y, but we'll see what it ultimately turns into.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/05/how-iphones-and-ipads-back-up-synchronize-with-ios-13-and-macos-catalina
    Agree. I want my devices to be like a folder.

I want to be able to drop a photo or video etc. onto my iPhone on the fly without any tedious extra work like "syncing". I haven't used iTunes for photos in years but I remember you had to "sync" folders which was a pain. Ideally I'd like to just drag pictures onto my iPhone photo folders.

Forgive me if this was mentioned.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    P_DevilP_Devil Posts: 7member
    Perfect.  I knew that my purchased movies weren't going anywhere but were rather just organized in a separate app.  I was a little worried about home sharing as I use that all the time.  My Mac Mini hosts over 400 movies through iTunes to all of my Apple TV units in my house (four of them).  I don't want to use Plex as, for whatever reason, it is still transcoding even though I told it not to and I'm playing h.264 files that my Apple TV can handle natively.  Plus I hate getting an ad everyday for their pay service, I'm not going to subscribe to something again when I can use what Apple offers.

Home sharing being built into Catalina will be nice, same with syncing to devices.  I'd rather have a feature built into the OS, which is already heavy, instead of weighing down the individual apps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Question: Will iTunes still be able to do local backups of iPhone and iPad? I don't want to use iCloud.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Question: Will iTunes still be able to do local backups of iPhone and iPad? I don't want to use iCloud.
    See Mike W post #30 above.
    MustSeeUHDTVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Craingry Craingry Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    I have a question. I usually download my purchased movies so they will show along with my other movies I’ve ripped from my dvd collection onto iTunes to all show on one list. Problem here is my hard drive is full. Will the new setup show all of my purchased movies and personal ones together without having to download my purchased ones onto a hard drive? That would save me from having to buy a bigger HD Lol 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,771member
    I have a question. I usually download my purchased movies so they will show along with my other movies I’ve ripped from my dvd collection onto iTunes to all show on one list. Problem here is my hard drive is full. Will the new setup show all of my purchased movies and personal ones together without having to download my purchased ones onto a hard drive? That would save me from having to buy a bigger HD Lol 
    iTunes already does what you’re asking about, so it seems likely the Apple TV App will too.

BUT....

You should download your purchases to a  local storage device anyway. At least one movie I bought is no longer available from the iTunes Store. I didn’t download it so I’m now out of luck. It’s not the kind of thing that’s likely to happen very often, but better safe than sorry. Apple’s support page for the store stresses the importance of keeping a downloaded backup.
    watto_cobra