Apple Car could have battery-filled floor and reinforced wide-opening doors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    buckkalu said:
    So all of you making fun if my prior post saying that electric cars are a scam.  The whole impetus behind them is to avoid CO2 emissions.  Of course if any of you actually did your research you would know that the whole global warming thing is also a big scam.  CO2 comprises just 0.04% of our atmosphere of which the contribution of burning fossil fuels is a tiny fraction of that 0.04%.  Did you also know that there have been 5 ice ages throughout history and many periods where the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere was much higher than it is today and somehow life goes on.  The earth naturally heats and cools and this has been going on for over 4.6 billion years.  You also may not know but CO2 is the gas of life and essential to life on earth.  What do you think they pump into greenhouses?  I could go on and tell you that all this wind turbine and solar is also a scam.  Do you know anywhere on the planet where the sun shines and wind blows consistently 24 hours a day?  Didn’t think so.
    Yes but human activity and changes to the planet are the bulk of the CO2 (or greenhouse gases which include CO) produced (not just the burning of fossil fuels).  Likewise the previous periods of greenhouse gas “spikes” occurred over 10,000 of years and not over the compressed time period we are seeing now (really a few human generations) which allows for more adaption time.

The rapid extinction of species we are witnessing, the vast numbers of threatened humans (think Bangladesh), our reliance on mono-culture and troll-like thinking make the current situation much much different.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Sorry re-edited as follows (the damn comment program didn’t allow re-editing in place).

Yes but human activity and changes to the planet are the bulk of the CO2 (or greenhouse gases) produced and not just the burning of fossil fuels.

Likewise the previous periods of greenhouse gas “spikes” occurred over 10,000 of years and not over the compressed time period we are seeing now (really a few human generations) which allows for LESS adaption time in the present situation.

The rapid extinction of species we are witnessing, the vast numbers of threatened humans (think Bangladesh), our reliance on mono-culture and troll-like thinking make the current situation much much different.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    but I agree that the sporadic adoption of electric cars isn’t going to make a dent in the problem unless we change how electricity is generated which is probably the most important thing.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    When looking at new cars these days my first issue3 is how easy is it to get in and out.  I'm 74 so that is more important to me than when I was 16 and driving my Father's Triumph TR-3.  

It's also important to look at the ease of using parking lots, which are thinner then back in the days of the Yank Tank (which my Mother drive.

Looking around these days, the SUV has replaced the minivans and a lot of sedans.  It's easy In & Out, good space in the back (sort f like a station wagon) and a core design clue for a future Apple car/wagon/SUV.

• Reply 25 of 30
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    buckkalu said:
    So all of you making fun if my prior post saying that electric cars are a scam.  The whole impetus behind them is to avoid CO2 emissions.  Of course if any of you actually did your research you would know that the whole global warming thing is also a big scam.  CO2 comprises just 0.04% of our atmosphere of which the contribution of burning fossil fuels is a tiny fraction of that 0.04%.  Did you also know that there have been 5 ice ages throughout history and many periods where the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere was much higher than it is today and somehow life goes on.  The earth naturally heats and cools and this has been going on for over 4.6 billion years.  You also may not know but CO2 is the gas of life and essential to life on earth.  What do you think they pump into greenhouses?  I could go on and tell you that all this wind turbine and solar is also a scam.  Do you know anywhere on the planet where the sun shines and wind blows consistently 24 hours a day?  Didn’t think so.
    I'll further make fun of you for completely ignoring the scientists who have done their research and tell us otherwise. You know what else has happened over the past billions of years? Mass extinctions. You also apparently have no idea how solar or wind energy works. Taking notes from Trump by chance?
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Anyone have an idea why Apple would be working on wide opening doors?  Mass transit maybe?  Commercial vehicles?  Certainly not for standard cars.  Maybe I'm not thinking broadly enough but wide opening doors doesn't seem...
    Rideshare vehicles as a service would be my guess. 
    That still makes no sense.  Wide opening doors wouldn't provide any type of advantage.  If anything, it would be a decided disadvantage.  Our infrastructure makes wide opening doors almost an immediate non-starter.  Roads, garages, parking lots, etc. are all designed with an understanding that we are in close proximity with each other.  Infrastructure around the world is even tighter.  Sliding doors for wider opening... that makes sense.  This?  Not so much.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Anyone have an idea why Apple would be working on wide opening doors?  Mass transit maybe?  Commercial vehicles?  Certainly not for standard cars.  Maybe I'm not thinking broadly enough but wide opening doors doesn't seem...
    That still makes no sense.  Wide opening doors wouldn't provide any type of advantage.  If anything, it would be a decided disadvantage.  Our infrastructure makes wide opening doors almost an immediate non-starter.  Roads, garages, parking lots, etc. are all designed with an understanding that we are in close proximity with each other.  Infrastructure around the world is even tighter.  Sliding doors for wider opening... that makes sense.  This?  Not so much.
    Why would rideshare vehicles have anything to do with garages and parking lots?
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Forrest and trees.  You're trying to argue my examples while completely missing the overall point.  Wide opening doors don't make sense for ride share vehicles either.  Seriously, try to describe a circumstance where it makes sense. 
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Forrest and trees.  You're trying to argue my examples while completely missing the overall point.  Wide opening doors don't make sense for ride share vehicles either.  Seriously, try to describe a circumstance where it makes sense. 
    Given we have no idea what the interior seating/etc layout would be, it's pretty much impossible to speculate. I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be exploring this option if it didn't make some kind of sense in some configuration you aren't even thinking of. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Given we have no idea what the interior seating/etc layout would be, it's pretty much impossible to speculate. I'm fairly certain they wouldn't be exploring this option if it didn't make some kind of sense in some configuration you aren't even thinking of. 
    So basically you're saying even you can't come up with a scenario where the doors make sense.  Suicide doors, which is basically what we're talking about here, are not a new concept.  Lincolns and Fords in the late 60's were famous for using them.  Suicide doors with no B-Pillar are not a new concept.  Lincoln debut the Concept C back in '09.  Apple may be up to something novel.  Who knows.  That door patent seems as impractical as all the other suicide doors.  There's a reason they aren't ubiquitous.  I'd love for someone to actually come up with a novel use for them cuz I think they looked cool hell on the old Lincolns.

Oops.  Forgot the pic of the Concept C
    Image result for lincoln concept c
    edited June 2019