Spotify, Pandora, and other music apps could gain Siri playback controls

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2019
Siri could be used to play music from third-party streaming services like Spotify in iOS 13, iPadOS, and HomePod, with a change to SiriKit enabling verbal control of tracks and podcasts being played in non-Apple apps via the virtual assistant, without requiring the use of Siri Shortcuts.

In 2018, Apple revealed the development of a Siri intent to enable the playback of media from apps not developed by Apple. While Siri could open streaming apps, it could not play music from within the apps, but a proposed addition to iOS 12's Siri Shortcuts called "Play Media" could have allowed a shortcut to be made to play specific content.

For WWDC 2019 and iOS 13, as well as iPadOS, Apple appears to be making another play to enable the same sort of functionality again, but this time within Siri itself. The SiriKit developer documentation for "Media" includes numerous changes for Xcode 11.0 beta 1 that reference intents to play media, including controlling media playback.

The long list of classes can be incorporated into apps by developers to enable Siri to take control of media selection and playback, reports MacRumors. While not described whether it would be simple playback controls, there is also the possibility of on-screen playback controls for a track or podcast to appear, in a similar way to how controls for Apple Music and Podcasts playback appear following a Siri request.

Crucially for this version, the intents work within Siri itself, without requiring there to be a Siri Shortcut to be created beforehand.

If the media intents remain available to use by developers at the time of iOS 13's release, along with iPadOS this fall, it opens up the possibility for other music streaming services to take advantage of Siri. Currently it is not possible to ask Siri to play a specific track or podcast outside of Apple's own apps, but the change could enable the functionality to work in rival apps like Spotify and Pandora.

The potential integration with Siri may be welcomed by users, as well as by rival services like Spotify, which has claimed Apple locks out its competitors from certain Apple-run services, including Siri and HomePod. In March, it was reported Apple had reached out to assist Spotify in the integration of Siri and AirPlay 2 "on several occasions," only to be told that the company "is working on it."
mobird

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Most of the Spotify users I know have always said that Siri control of playback was not important when I cited using Siri as a great way to control Apple Music. Curious to see if their minds will be changed if Spotify ends up integrating Siri control.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bakerzdosenbakerzdosen Posts: 181member
    I would assume this means that Audible will finally (potentially) be usable via Siri. That'd be nice in the car for sure.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Let's go ahead and include Tidal and Qobuz with this potential new ability on the HomePod.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Most of the Spotify users I know have always said that Siri control of playback was not important when I cited using Siri as a great way to control Apple Music. Curious to see if their minds will be changed if Spotify ends up integrating Siri control.
    I would disagree with them. This is exactly why I switched from Spotify to Apple Music. It's handy when driving to be able to tell my phone what I want to listen to, especially since controlling the device is illegal where I live. If Siri is allowed to control Spotify, I may consider switching back...
  • Reply 5 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    mobird said:
    Let's go ahead and include Tidal and Qobuz with this potential new ability on the HomePod.
    Like most frameworks or kits, it will likely remain up to the app developers to implement new functionality.
    lollivermobirdjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    We know frameworks aren’t deployed overnight, so Apple has likely been working on this for a while. So much for the Grumpy McGrumpface conspiracy theory that Apple is out to make life difficult for non Apple Music users.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    But what will Spotify use as an excuse now?

They want access to Apple devices such as HomePod and Siri but don't wanna pay a penny to Apple.
    lollivermobirdjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 14
    What? I am a die hard Spotify user and I celebrate Apple openness - it was about time.

I have every Apple device but the HomePod just because it cannot handle Spotify. In fact, I think that if Siri really can manage Spotify I will buy at least one.

And no, I will not switch to Apple Music, I love Spotify!
    Japhey
  • Reply 9 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    What? I am a die hard Spotify user and I celebrate Apple openness - it was about time.

I have every Apple device but the HomePod just because it cannot handle Spotify. In fact, I think that if Siri really can manage Spotify I will buy at least one.

And no, I will not switch to Apple Music, I love Spotify!
    I’ll never switch either. Every few months or so Apple sends me a notification for another 30 day free trial. Sometimes I’ll bite, just to see how far it has evolved. But aside from Siri and the Apple TV app, I find it to be an inferior experience. 
    I’ve also been holding back on getting HomePod because of Spotify’s absence, so I cant wait for this to happen.  Plus, that handoff feature looks awesome. I can’t believe I haven’t seen any chatter about that anywhere. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’m one of those people. And yes, I guarantee we will all change our minds.  
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Wish Apple would allow access via Bluetooth while they are at it.
    Also add MQA as well.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 12 of 14
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Can the new Siri be effectively use while your eyes are closed?  I think that what Google Assistant is doing and improving. From the WWDC 2019 Keynote, I see that voice control of Siri needs a lot of heads-up to complete tasks beyond the simplest ones. I look forward to see if I could be impressed when the new Siri is out.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I would disagree with them. This is exactly why I switched from Spotify to Apple Music. It's handy when driving to be able to tell my phone what I want to listen to, especially since controlling the device is illegal where I live. If Siri is allowed to control Spotify, I may consider switching back...
    It's handy while in my truck to lift my wrist and just request whatever song or type of music, etc to Siri. I don't have to move my hard far as it's already on the steering wheel.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    The best Music Player ever made is Roon by a landslide...If Siri could control that player, it would be heaven!