Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell to support HomeKit Secure Video at launch, indoor & outdoor c...

Posted:
in iOS
French smart home manufacturer Netatmo was one of the first announced to support Apple's upcoming HomeKit Secure Video standard when it launches this fall, and now we know what cameras from the company will be receiving the new storage and encryption feature.

Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell is coming later this year
Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell is coming later this year

Apple featured Netatmo's logo prominently on stage at its annual developer conference alongside Eufy and Logitech as launch partners for HomeKit Secure Video. The new feature will allow HomeKit security cameras to locally encrypt video and then store it in Apple's own iCloud servers where it is out of reach of prying eyes.

Netatmo has revealed that the upcoming Smart Video Doorbell will support HomeKit Secure Video at its launch later this year and both the Smart Indoor Camera and Smart Outdoor Camera will support the feature as a free automatic firmware update soon after.

Users have been clamoring for this feature for some time. Currently, they must rely on third-party servers to store their video which are not necessarily as secure -- or private -- as Apple's own.

Apple iCloud storage recording
Apple iCloud storage recording

Apple will store up to ten days of recordings inside of iCloud for one camera if subscribed to the 200GB iCloud Storage Plan and will store up to ten days of recordings for five cameras if on the 2TB iCloud Storage Plan. HomeKit Secure Video recordings will not count against your storage capacity. The 2TB plan runs users $9.99 a month which is favorable compared to third-party storage plans and iCloud also has far more features to back it up outside of video storage.

Also announced at WWDC 2019 is support for HomeKit routers which will first be supported by Linksys and Eero.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    Goodbye Nest Hello and your storage subscription. Getting this thing the day it's released.
    cornchipStrangeDayschasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Hope Netatmo actually moves on adding support this time. For basic HomeKit support it took them over a year to add support from when they first announced it.
    cornchipjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    This is an odd development because AppleInsider previously reported that wireless cameras were not supported by Apple HomeKit. So now they are?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Some people have very narrow spaces for doorbells. Any vendor which creates a slim design will win extra business.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    The slide shown above says "10 day recordings" but when the person who was explaining the slide spoke he actually said "10 days of clips" which suggest to me that it's not really 10 days of continuous recordings but 10 days of motion detection recordings. I hope I'm wrong but he definitely said "clips". Another unknown is whether existing cameras will support this or whether a firmware upgrade will be needed or whether you have to buy a new camera. I put in a support ticket with Logitech three days ago and they told me "we contacted the developers because we want to know ourselves."
  • Reply 6 of 16
    The slide shown above says "10 day recordings" but when the person who was explaining the slide spoke he actually said "10 days of clips" which suggest to me that it's not really 10 days of continuous recordings but 10 days of motion detection recordings. I hope I'm wrong but he definitely said "clips". Another unknown is whether existing cameras will support this or whether a firmware upgrade will be needed or whether you have to buy a new camera. I put in a support ticket with Logitech three days ago and they told me "we contacted the developers because we want to know ourselves."
    It’s going to be clips... I have both the Netatmo camera types and they don’t provide continuous recording. They don’t need to of course, only when there is activity of some sort that isn’t ignored by the AI. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    This is an odd development because AppleInsider previously reported that wireless cameras were not supported by Apple HomeKit. So now they are?
    The Netatmo cameras are not wireless, they are all powered from a cable, including the doorbell. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    The Netatmo cameras are not wireless, they are all powered from a cable, including the doorbell. 
    Wifi. I think he meant wifi.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I really wish someone would make a video doorbell that's PoE and isn't ridiculously expensive. If it's going to require a wire anyway, why not include ethernet/PoE?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    I really wish someone would make a video doorbell that's PoE and isn't ridiculously expensive. If it's going to require a wire anyway, why not include ethernet/PoE?
    If I had to guess, most people don’t have a network drop outside their front door. Also, I wouldn’t want some to be able to walk up and have physical access to my network.
    davgregchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Alternatives to Google and Amazon are quite welcome. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    What would also be nice is if Netatmo would update the Weather Station HW/SW for HomeKit.
    I am on the Netatmo list to be notified when it is available.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Netatmo needs to release a 4K outdoors camera so that people’s faces and car license plates can be identifiable in the footage. Otherwise, you will see a suspect person or car, but there are not enough pixels to make a positive identification. 

4K is not required for a doorbell camera (even though it would be nice), but 4K is absolutely essential for outdoor security cameras. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    DR2000DR2000 Posts: 1member
    Of course Netatmo is the company that allows you to store your video on Dropbox or your own FTP already and there is no cloud. So there is no business reason for them not to support it. Patiently waiting for this doorbell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I've been using the outdoors Netatmo camera/flood light for about a year. It's an awesome product, and the software is absolutely fantastic. It can tell if the motion detected corresponds to a car, an animal or a person with very few false positives, sends alerts that display on the watch... The level of polish is awesome. Also, it does not require the use of their own cloud or charge a subscription fee, unlike most of its competitors.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    None of Netatmo's cameras are wireless they are all wired and this does include the smart doorbell. By wired I mean power, data is of course wireless over WiFi. Apple's restriction is that HomeKit cameras must be mains powered i.e. power via a wire. However it does seem they may be gradually relaxing this criteria. (NetGear have announced HomeKit support updates for their Arlo Ultra and Arlo Pro 2 - see https://www.arlo.com/en-us/about/press-releases/2019/ARLO-TO-ADD-APPLE-HOMEKIT.aspx )

Apple currently as per the screen shot in this article let you have one camera on the 200GB iCloud plan, and a maximum of five cameras on the 2TB plan. The 2TB plan is of course the biggest plan they do. This is utterly brain dead!!! I already have five Netatmo cameras - four outdoor Presence cameras and one indoor Security camera and will be getting their smart door bell after it launches making six! On top of that HomeKit is designed to support multiple houses. It will therefore be very, very easy for many people to exceed this stupid limit of five cameras. One cannot even get round this by using multiple iCloud accounts since then they would then be also on separate HomeKit systems.

It should be noted that Ring have two similar video storage plans but their top plan supports unlimited cameras - clearly they have more common sense than Apple. (Ring also give you 30 days of storage.)

@Davgreg I also want HomeKit for the Netatmo Weather Station. I also feel they need to update their external module in several ways most importantly to include a Stevenson screen to prevent temperature distortions and secondly to add a lightning sensor. (See this as a comparison https://weatherflow.com/smart-home-weather-stations/ )

davgreg