Google Stadia game streaming launching in November with $129 'Founder's Edition' hardware

Posted:
in macOS edited June 2019
Google on Thursday revealed key details of its upcoming Stadia service, which will let people stream A-list games to the Mac without having to own a high-end console or PC.

The
The "rhythm violence" game "Thumper."

The service will launch in November in 14 different regions, among them Canada, the U.S., and the U.K., Google said. People wanting in at that point will have to pay $129 U.S. for a Founder's Edition kit, including a Wi-Fi-connected Stadia controller, a Chromecast Ultra, and three months of Stadia Pro plus a "Buddy Pass." Beyond that point Pro access will cost $9.99 per month, plus the cost of individual games not included with the subscription. Some games will be cheaper under Pro than they would be on markets like Steam or the Mac App Store.

Google Stadia Founder's Edition

The only announced bundle title is "Destiny 2," though others are planned, and some should be announced at next week's E3 expo in Los Angeles. Other confirmed Stadia games -- bundled or otherwise -- will include the likes of "Doom Eternal," "Thumper," "Baldur's Gate 3," "Borderlands 3," and "Mortal Kombat 11."

"Grand Theft Auto" and "Red Dead Redemption" developer Rockstar Games is confirmed as working on Stadia projects, but has yet to make them public.

Stadia Pro guarantees streams up to 4K at 60fps, with HDR and 5.1-channel surround, so long as the gamers have a 35-megabit connection. Google is working on a free version of Stadia with lower bandwidth requirements, but that will launch sometime in 2020 with quality capped at 1080p resolution and stereo sound.

Although a Chromecast Ultra will be required for TVs, gamers will also be able to play on Pixel 3 phones and any desktop or laptop with Google's Chrome browser.

Stadia relies on streamlined Google data center connections instead of local processors or storage. The downside to this is that Stadia games can only ever work online, even purchased ones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Did anyone find it odd that Apple included Playstation and Xbox controller support?

What irks me is, Apple Arcade games seem to not take full advantage of Apple processors. Most of them look like games for iPhone 6.
    Apple is most likely caught between the balance of quality graphics and supporting the most players possible.

Stadia can be a big competitor since it won't hold back but in 2 years we'll see the same graphical processing in Apples A14 chips BUT Apple won't wanna leave behind owners of old devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    This is good news. More competition. I personally care about  Arcade more.
    Roger_Fingaswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    These are the already confirmed titles. Note that there will also be a free version launched next year with lower streaming quality and likely a very limited game set altho no details yet beyond "it's coming". 

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
    • Metro Exodus
    • Samurai Shodown
    • Rage 2
    • Final Fantasy XV
    • Thumper
    • Dragonball Xenoverse 2
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    • Just Dance
    • Wolfenstein Youngblood
    • Trials Rising
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Farming Simulator 19
    • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
    • FM
    • GRID
    • The Crew 2
    • Destiny 2: The Collection
    • Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
    • Get Packed
    • GYLT
    • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    • Mortal Kombat 11
    • Baldur’s Gate III
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    In case it isn't clear to anyone, the monthly subscription fee does NOT cover the games, unlike Apple Arcade.  These still need to be purchased at retail pricing. And obviously nothing can be played offline. 
    racerhomie3AppleExposedStrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    slurpy said:
    In case it isn't clear to anyone, the monthly subscription fee does NOT cover the games, unlike Apple Arcade.  These still need to be purchased at retail pricing. And obviously nothing can be played offline. 
    I does include a selection of games AFAICT tho it's not detailed which ones. I would think the very latest releases would need to be purchased, altho at a significant discount from the typical Xbox/Playstation new release pricing. I'm thinking this may be set up similar to nVidia's gaming service on the Shield: A good number of older titles for free and the latest releases requiring purchase.

EDIT: Yes you were definitely mistaken Slurpy. 

"At a high-level, Google wants to create the Netflix of games with its new subscription service. Google Stadia Pro pricing is $9.99 per month (in the US) for access to a library of older games that includes titles in 4K at 60FPS.

Newer games have to be purchased outright, and will be saved to your library indefinitely and do not require a subscription to play. The first games include Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Destiny 2, The Division 2, and much more"

"Next year, Google will offer a free tier of Stadia that’s capped to 1080p/30FPS resolution. Stadia Base (the name of the free version) will not feature the games library included with the monthly subscription, and lacks “exclusive discounts” when purchasing full titles."

"At launch, Stadia is available on Chromecast-connected TVs, desktop, laptop, and the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a. Next year, Stadia will be available on other Chrome and mobile devices. A 10Mbps download connection and 1Mbps upload is the “recommended minimum” for 720p/60FPS with stereo sound. 1080p requires 20Mbps down, while it jumps to 35Mbps for 4K/60FPS with HDR and 5.1 surround. 

This November, Stadia will launch in 14 countries, with “more to come” in 2020: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and United States."

edited June 2019 racerhomie31STnTENDERBITSfirelockmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 24
    slurpy said:

Oh screw that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    slurpy said:

Oh screw that.
    He wasn't correct.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:
    I does include a selection of games AFAICT tho it's not detailed which ones. I would think the very latest releases would need to be purchased, altho at a significant discount from the typical Xbox/Playstation new release pricing. I'm thinking this may be set up similar to nVidia's gaming service on the Shield: A good number of older titles for free and the latest releases requiring purchase.

"At a high-level, Google wants to create the Netflix of games with its new subscription service. Google Stadia Pro pricing is $9.99 per month (in the US) for access to a library of older games that includes titles in 4K at 60FPS.

Newer games have to be purchased outright, and will be saved to your library indefinitely and do not require a subscription to play. The first games include Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Destiny 2, The Division 2, and much more"

"Next year, Google will offer a free tier of Stadia that’s capped to 1080p/30FPS resolution. Stadia Base (the name of the free version) will not feature the games library included with the monthly subscription, and lacks “exclusive discounts” when purchasing full titles."

"At launch, Stadia is available on Chromecast-connected TVs, desktop, laptop, and the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a. Next year, Stadia will be available on other Chrome and mobile devices. A 10Mbps download connection and 1Mbps upload is the “recommended minimum” for 720p/60FPS with stereo sound. 1080p requires 20Mbps down, while it jumps to 35Mbps for 4K/60FPS with HDR and 5.1 surround. 

This November, Stadia will launch in 14 countries, with “more to come” in 2020: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, and United States."

So it’s more like the Amazon Video of games with the need to purchase some of the content. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:

Oh screw that.
    He wasn't correct.

Your detailed reply didn't show up on my end when I posted.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:

Oh screw that.
    He wasn't correct.

Your detailed reply didn't show up on my end when I posted.
    No prob. ☺️
  • Reply 11 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    These are the already confirmed titles. Note that there will also be a free version launched next year with lower streaming quality and likely a very limited game set altho no details yet beyond "it's coming". 

• Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
    • Metro Exodus
    • Samurai Shodown
    • Rage 2
    • Final Fantasy XV
    • Thumper
    • Dragonball Xenoverse 2
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    • Just Dance
    • Wolfenstein Youngblood
    • Trials Rising
    • The Elder Scrolls Online
    • Farming Simulator 19
    • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
    • FM
    • GRID
    • The Crew 2
    • Destiny 2: The Collection
    • Tom Clancy’s The Division 2
    • Get Packed
    • GYLT
    • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    • Mortal Kombat 11
    • Baldur’s Gate III
    Hard at work I see.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Wgkrueger said:
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:

So it’s more like the Amazon Video of games with the need to purchase some of the content. 
    I hadn't thought of it that way but yeah I guess it kinda is, but with a unique and "inventive" way of syncing between many different devices and groups of players.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Kind of Google to detail it all so early so Apple can fine tune its offering.

Of course, the real way for Apple Arcade to be successful would be to have two or three new, exclusive but must have awesome games out the gate.
    Exactly like the first Xbox had Halo by buying out Bungie.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:

Thanks for the information. It seems like a complex pricing structure/business model. Especially when you add in the free tier with limited quality and various bandwidth requirements. I have my doubts that this will have much mass market appeal as it seems like there are better options available for most people.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 24
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    gatorguy said:
    slurpy said:

Oh screw that.
    He wasn't correct.

It was based on this, so I'm not that far off. Only 1 game included so far with sub. 

While you’ve probably heard predictions that Google’s Stadia will be the “Netflix of games,” it turns out the analogy only goes so far. While Google intends to eventually have a back catalog of free games included for your $10 monthly fee, Stadia is not primarily a subscription service. The subscription only includes a single game as of today — Destiny 2. Primarily, Google tells us you should expect to buy, not rent cloud games for the same retail prices you’d find on other platforms like PlayStation Network, Xbox Live, and Steam.

“We will sell these games like any other digital storefront,” Google’s director of games Jack Buser tells The Verge.

edited June 2019 StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 24
    iMacabreiMacabre Posts: 6member
    I've been using GeForce Now beta for a while now, and while it's limited to 1080p (for now) it allows me to play (supported) games from my Steam Library. Will Stadia have any kind of such integration?
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    jgojcajjgojcaj Posts: 48member
    Apple and Sega could have done something similar....
    JUST SAYING. They let Google take the wheel with the streaming game system. Sad. 
  • Reply 18 of 24
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I am not sure if I wanted to pay $129 + monthly subs to play those titles on my Mac. I have already had most of the games listed and use bootcamp to play them in Windows without subs or additional hardware.
    bigtdswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Hmmm.  It's fundamentally a different model to Arcade. It seems to boil down to another digital store front for third party games, whereas Apple is actually pumping its own money in for exclusive games. 

I guess it depends on the price of the top tier games in Stadia. If they're priced similar to PS or XBOX. I don't see why anyone would buy this compared to one of those. 

In an alternate timeline, Google's Stadia will merge with Arcade. The service will be called Stadium Arcadium. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 20 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    What I find most interesting with this is the ramifications of being able to stream cloud-based, high end, 4k games on other aspects of networked, cloud computing.

Specifically:   If it is possible to do something like this effectively (and apparently it is), then Google's Chromebooks can take on new levels of capability.  So, why would schools and businesses purchase expensive laptops when they can get just as much or more from far cheaper Chromebooks?

I can hear the cries of "Chromebooks are crap" -- and I tend to agree.   But, organizations likes schools and businesses care only about functionality and price.   If they can get the same or better functionality for a lower price you better bet they will go for it.