Everything new coming to CarPlay in iOS 13

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Need a wireless Carplay connection.
    Need a wireless Carlplay connection.

Did I mention wireless?
    It already exists and is supported. Ask your auto-maker to implement it.
    Kaddyonellamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42

karmadave said:
    The Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX in my car supports a Wifi connection. My bigger question is what will be necessary to use the new iOS 13 Car Play features with my existing receiver. I'm assuming it's at least a firmware upgrade...
    Wouldn't expect it to. The screens and UI are produced by your iPhone and piped to the head unit. If your head unit supports CP now it should continue to accept the GUI delivered to it.
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 42

eightzero said:
    davgreg said:
    What I would love to see is Apple integrate weather data into navigation along the route. 

Some of us have to drive under nasty weather conditions- I pull call for a hospital- and knowing that taking route 1 vs route 2 might keep you out of the predicted path of a storm could be very helpful. Same for telling you there is a flash flood or tornado warning along a particular route so you can re-route or park and let it blow over. The predicted paths of storms from live radar has gotten very good and this could be a very big deal.

Likewise, real time traffic data during deteriorating winter weather could suggest a re-route to avoid icing conditions. In my part of the country the difference between rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow can be a very narrow band, so routing to avoid the frozen precipitation could also be a big deal.
    Concur...but without the bold. 
    Yeah I don't know what it is with the "emboldened", but I had to block those who continue to believe their entire messages should be bolder than the rest of us.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42

jcc said:
    Why don't they show the album art on the play navigations!? They didn't have it in the old and I thought they would be smart enough to include that now but no...wtf?! Are they stupid or what?
    No, they are not stupid. Ignorance on your/our part of why decisions are made within Apple does not infer stupidity on their part.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 42
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    MplsP said:
    entropys said:

Did I mention wireless?
    Apple make dongles. Why not a wireless one to upgrade everyone’s carplay? And it would probably have to be Apple that makes it.
    Car play and navigation tend to use a lot of juice, so I would have to plug my phone in anyway. I guess you could have a wireless charging pad which would be more convenient.

Either way, as Eightzero said, CarPlay supports a wifi connection; it's up to the manufacturers to take advantage of it. Given how long it's taken some manufacturers to support CarPlay at all I suspect wifi support will take a while. There are several aftermarket car stereos that do have it, however.
    Yes I am  about to buy a Kenwood mechless wireless carplay unit for my older car. Just waiting for the end of financial year sale in the next few weeks.
    The point I was trying to make is, there are a lot of cars on the market today that might have wireless charging but not wireless carplay. I was speculating that Apple could make a secure wifi dongle that slotted into the car’s USB port. The car’s head unit would not be aware it was a wifi connection at all, it would just think it USB.  An upgrade for every USB carplay equipped car.  Apple could probably sell it for $100 or more.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 26 of 42
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    jcc said:
    Why don't they show the album art on the play navigations!? They didn't have it in the old and I thought they would be smart enough to include that now but no...wtf?! Are they stupid or what?
    Hope that gets added before it gets launched. It looks the same as the old play screen. It is there in dashboard view when music is in the smaller widgets already.  
    I wonder if you can quickly tap/ Siri request which widget has the main view? I have only ever seen Maps main widget in any commentary so far, and don’t have the beta.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    gtj333gtj333 Posts: 20member
    eightzero said:
    davgreg said:
    What I would love to see is Apple integrate weather data into navigation along the route. 

Some of us have to drive under nasty weather conditions- I pull call for a hospital- and knowing that taking route 1 vs route 2 might keep you out of the predicted path of a storm could be very helpful. Same for telling you there is a flash flood or tornado warning along a particular route so you can re-route or park and let it blow over. The predicted paths of storms from live radar has gotten very good and this could be a very big deal.

Likewise, real time traffic data during deteriorating winter weather could suggest a re-route to avoid icing conditions. In my part of the country the difference between rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow can be a very narrow band, so routing to avoid the frozen precipitation could also be a big deal.
    Agree with the weather info. How about sharing temperature on the map - as a start. We have it on the iPhone & iPad, but not on CarPlay. 
  • Reply 28 of 42
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    Hopefully this update fixes some of the terrible playback issues and crashes I’ve had with my 2018 Crosstrek and my iPhone X. I used to think it was only the Crosstrek, but after traveling and renting other car models this past year, I’ve heard the same artifacts, like a disc skip, randomly during music playback. 
  • Reply 29 of 42
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    gtj333 said:
    eightzero said:
    davgreg said:

Agree with the weather info. How about sharing temperature on the map - as a start. We have it on the iPhone & iPad, but not on CarPlay. 
    Couldn’t agree more. One would think and weather and traffic are obvious functionalities to add. As well as re-routing based on those. 

And is there any improvement to the annoying fuzzy oversized album cover image — the current one looks like background crap — in the new version? Just a simple, compact-sized album cover image will do. 
  • Reply 30 of 42
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member

karmadave said:
    The Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX in my car supports a Wifi connection. My bigger question is what will be necessary to use the new iOS 13 Car Play features with my existing receiver. I'm assuming it's at least a firmware upgrade...
    Wouldn't expect it to. The screens and UI are produced by your iPhone and piped to the head unit. If your head unit supports CP now it should continue to accept the GUI delivered to it.
    Seriously? CarPlay doesn’t reside in the radio, only on the phone? 
  • Reply 31 of 42
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    entropys said:
    MplsP said:
    Either way, as Eightzero said, CarPlay supports a wifi connection; it's up to the manufacturers to take advantage of it. Given how long it's taken some manufacturers to support CarPlay at all I suspect wifi support will take a while. There are several aftermarket car stereos that do have it, however.
    Yes I am  about to buy a Kenwood mechless wireless carplay unit for my older car. Just waiting for the end of financial year sale in the next few weeks.
    The point I was trying to make is, there are a lot of cars on the market today that might have wireless charging but not wireless carplay. I was speculating that Apple could make a secure wifi dongle that slotted into the car’s USB port. The car’s head unit would not be aware it was a wifi connection at all, it would just think it USB.  An upgrade for every USB carplay equipped car.  Apple could probably sell it for $100 or more.

I'd buy that
  • Reply 32 of 42
    xyzzy01xyzzy01 Posts: 134member
    On the topic of making navigation in Apple Music easier - have they finally implemented folders, or made it easier to find your own playlists?

Currently, they put all of the Apple Music playlists you've added into the same list as your own playlists - and the result is that the latter can be rather hard to find.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    ArchonXArchonX Posts: 1member
    I use Waze for Nav and Spotify for Music. I wonder how this will look with the new setup.
    chemengin1llama
  • Reply 34 of 42
    heypjheypj Posts: 1member
    The one thing that really annoyed me was with incoming messages. I have an Apple Watch and when messages came in they wouldn’t vibrate my watch. I don’t have the automatic Siri feature enabled because that was annoying as well. So I had to keep looking at my radio to know if I had a new message. I wish they would vibrate the watch regardless of which settings you have enabled. Hopefully someone can check this and see if it’s changed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    entropys said:
    MplsP said:
    entropys said:

Did I mention wireless?
    Apple make dongles. Why not a wireless one to upgrade everyone’s carplay? And it would probably have to be Apple that makes it.
    Car play and navigation tend to use a lot of juice, so I would have to plug my phone in anyway. I guess you could have a wireless charging pad which would be more convenient.

Yeah, that would be great - it could simply draw its power from the USB port. You’d still need to have a way to charge your phone, but you’d have flexibility with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

heypj said:
    The one thing that really annoyed me was with incoming messages. I have an Apple Watch and when messages came in they wouldn’t vibrate my watch. I don’t have the automatic Siri feature enabled because that was annoying as well. So I had to keep looking at my radio to know if I had a new message. I wish they would vibrate the watch regardless of which settings you have enabled. Hopefully someone can check this and see if it’s changed. 
    ? My watch vibrates when I get a message. Is it because your phone is turned on?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 42
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    kgarr said:
    Does the dashboard view always show Apple Maps?

doubt it, but speaking of maps - surprised we haven't seen a writeup on the new features in Maps yet. Unless I missed it, but I looked back through all the posts & didn't see one. Maybe in the next couple days..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
     My biggest complaint with CarPlay is the loss of functionality in Google Maps. I cannot pinch, zoom, or easily scroll, which is critical to me. Both Apple Maps and Google maps sometimes don’t give me enough warning or information about the upcoming route visually, so I zoom out or scroll ahead to check for turns. In CarPlay mode, the map is on the radio, and the directions are on the phone.   I’m guessing that the independent screen on Phone and radio won’t apply within an application, but only across applications. 
  • Reply 39 of 42
     My biggest complaint with CarPlay is the loss of functionality in Google Maps. I cannot pinch, zoom, or easily scroll, which is critical to me. Both Apple Maps and Google maps sometimes don’t give me enough warning or information about the upcoming route visually, so I zoom out or scroll ahead to check for turns. In CarPlay mode, the map is on the radio, and the directions are on the phone.   I’m guessing that the independent screen on Phone and radio won’t apply within an application, but only across applications. 
    I use Maps in CarPlay all the time and I can tell you without a doubt that the map is on dashboard screen as well as the turn-by-turn navigation, I don’t need to look at my phone at all.

Obviously some of the functions will be limited. Who needs the distraction of pinching and zooming on a screen while also driving?
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 42
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
     When is Apple going to allow an iOS app like TrackAddict to show through CarPlay with a full feature set? That would be the bomb! 

http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/
    watto_cobra