Hands on with Apple's new Memoji stickers in iOS 13

Posted:
in General Discussion
In iOS 13, users will be able to customize their own personal Memoji for use in an updated Memoji sticker pack that can be sent to nearly everybody with an iPhone. We took a look at the iOS 13 beta to see what updates we can look forward to when it releases.

Originally, if someone wanted to make an Animoji, they'd have to have an iPhone with a True Depth camera. However, during WWDC 2019, Apple announced that any user with an A9 chip or higher would be able to make their own customized Memojis.

Users will still need a True Depth camera found on iPhone X models and later if they wish to create an animated Memoji video. However, users with an iPhone 6s or later will be able make custom Memojis that can be used as stickers.

Apple has also expanded the customization options for the new Memoji update. We took a look at the customization options in the iOS 13 beta and were pleasantly surprised to see how many there were.

Users will be able to customize their Memoji with additional hats, teeth options, new hair and makeup colors, ear piercings, facial piercings for the as nose and tongue, and plenty of different styles of glasses. There's even a set of AirPods for Memoji.

The update also brings the ability to use Apple's other Animojis, such as robots, unicorns, dogs, cats, sharks, and more, as emotive stickers as well.

The Memoji stickers will work like other keyboard apps, allowing users to send their personal Memoji across a variety of services, rather than just through iMessage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Such a childish waste of time, I'm sure it'll help them sell iPhones by the bucket load.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Embarrassing feature.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    saarek said:
    Such a childish waste of time, I'm sure it'll help them sell iPhones by the bucket load.
    How the fuck is it a "waste of time" when you admit it will sell more phones? And sorry, but what planet do you live on, in which everyone is using their iPhone for SERIOUS BUSINESS all the time? Like 80% of people use it for nothing more than social media trash, snapchat, etc. At least this encourages a degree of creation. 

Sure, if this was the highlight of Apple's keynote, I'd be worried. But that's not even remotely the case, and they had one of their best keynotes in memory.  And obviously, a large number of people enjoy using Memoji, so it makes logical sense for them to continue enhancing this feature, which honestly feels like "magic" to many. Why does that bother you so much? God forbid Apple use it's technology for a feature or two that makes people laugh/giggle, and implement it in a way that is objectively superior to everyone else. Whether you like it or not, for MANY, this can sell a device. 

If a software feature exists, Apple should either keep improving it, or scrap it. Those are literally the 2 options. So are you arguing that it's better for them to scrap this completely? Would love to hear how that would benefit the company or it's users. 
    edited June 2019 StrangeDaysbeowulfschmidtArloTimetravelerAppleExposedjcs2305fastasleepkuraiGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 4 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    saarek said:
    Embarrassing feature.
    Y'all need to get over yourselves. I've had good fun with my family & friends using emoji and animoji, and we're not gonna stop because some Very Serious People (tm) think it's silly. 

The fact that you even say it's going to help sell devices means you acknowledge it's a value-add, but you simply don't like it. How pretentious. Care to list all of your personal likes? I'm sure we could tell you that something you enjoy is dumb, too.
    ArloTimetravelerAppleExposedjcs2305fastasleepjony0
  • Reply 5 of 14
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 810member
    slurpy said:
    saarek said:
    How the fuck is it a "waste of time" when you admit it will sell more phones? And sorry, but what planet do you live on, in which everyone is using their iPhone for SERIOUS BUSINESS all the time? Sure, if this was the highlight of Apple's keynote, I'd be worried. But that's not even remotely the case, and they had one of their best keynotes in memory.  And obviously, a large number of people enjoy using Memoji, so it makes logical sense for them to continue enhancing this feature, which honestly feels like "magic" to many. Why does that bother you do much? God forbid Apple use it's technology for a feature or two that makes people laugh/giggle, and implement it in a way that is objectively superior to everyone else.
    👍👏
    fastasleepjony0
  • Reply 6 of 14
    For those with a non-True Depth iPhone, where will the Memoji creation be found? Is it a new app, or is it part of Messages?
    mike eggleston
  • Reply 7 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    saarek said:

Embarrassing feature.

Remember when people bashed Emoji/iPhone because it was fun and just a "toy"?

My comment on another article:

People who bash Memoji announcements don't get it.

I was at a house and they had the Spanish news on their TV. It caught my eye because the Memoji announcement from WWDC was on the screen! They were talking about Apples new feature coming to iPhones and not a mention of anything else announced. Then they switched to other(non-tech) current events.

We nerds may get excited for Sidecar or SwiftUI but the rest of the world gets excited for Memoji.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 14
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    saarek said:
    Embarrassing feature.
    Y'all need to get over yourselves. I've had good fun with my family & friends using emoji and animoji, and we're not gonna stop because some Very Serious People (tm) think it's silly. 

The fact that you even say it's going to help sell devices means you acknowledge it's a value-add, but you simply don't like it. How pretentious. Care to list all of your personal likes? I'm sure we could tell you that something you enjoy is dumb, too.
    ^ This  

Shit I have fun with this stuff.  I have a group of friends that I talk to daily in the same text conversation for years now. We all are have jobs and responsibilities in our 40's.. it's fun to cut loose and laugh a little with a well timed GIF or animoji comment. Laughter and some fun is good for the body and soul. I think more folks need to realize that. 
    fastasleepStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jcs2305 said:
    saarek said:
    Embarrassing feature.

^ This  

Shit I have fun with this stuff.  I have a group of friends that I talk to daily in the same text conversation for years now. We all are have jobs and responsibilities in our 40's.. it's fun to cut loose and laugh a little with a well timed GIF or animoji comment. Laughter and some fun is good for the body and soul. I think more folks need to realize that. 
    I showed how Animoji worked with the dog Animoji to a man in his 50s. He had an iPhone X and had no idea about it. He was having fun with it and started laughing. He flipped when the dog accurately mimicked his cheesy laugh!

Apple has known since the 70s that fun makes a good product.
    fastasleepkuraijony0
  • Reply 10 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'll be testing this out when I get iOS 13, just for fun.

• Reply 11 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Where's the moron who complained about the head exploding WWDC invite was promoting violence and despair? Now there's an Animoji sticker too! I can't wait to promote despair every day with it!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    paulconspaulcons Posts: 11member
    Anyone want to bet this will be frozen out for iPad users?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    paulcons said:
    Anyone want to bet this will be frozen out for iPad users?
    Why? FTFA:

Originally, if someone wanted to make an Animoji, they'd have to have an iPhone with a True Depth camera. However, during WWDC 2019, Apple announced that any user with an A9 chip or higher would be able to make their own customized Memojis. 
    Users will still need a True Depth camera found on iPhone X models and later if they wish to create an animated Memoji video. However, users with an iPhone 6s or later will be able make custom Memojis that can be used as stickers.

I assume 2018 iPad Pro is included in animated Memoji video as well.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    saarek said:
    How the fuck is it a "waste of time" when you admit it will sell more phones? And sorry, but what planet do you live on, in which everyone is using their iPhone for SERIOUS BUSINESS all the time? Like 80% of people use it for nothing more than social media trash, snapchat, etc. At least this encourages a degree of creation. 

Sure, if this was the highlight of Apple's keynote, I'd be worried. But that's not even remotely the case, and they had one of their best keynotes in memory.  And obviously, a large number of people enjoy using Memoji, so it makes logical sense for them to continue enhancing this feature, which honestly feels like "magic" to many. Why does that bother you so much? God forbid Apple use it's technology for a feature or two that makes people laugh/giggle, and implement it in a way that is objectively superior to everyone else. Whether you like it or not, for MANY, this can sell a device. 

If a software feature exists, Apple should either keep improving it, or scrap it. Those are literally the 2 options. So are you arguing that it's better for them to scrap this completely? Would love to hear how that would benefit the company or it's users. 
    Well, of course he can’t, because like every other armchair CEO, he lacks the imagination. 

The fact that Apple has expanded means that they believe it was worth expanding, because the other thing they have, aside from imagination, is access to user feedback and usage data. 

When it showed up on the keynote, my first question was “Why are they showing this?”  
    Thirty seconds later, my next question was “Can I stick a picture on an eyepatch?”

It’s fun for folk who like that sort of thing, and for Apple, it serves as a testbed for performance and component integration.  

But you hit the nail squarely on the head: it highlights the power of the device to potential customers, in this case, developers. 
    edited June 2019