'Sign in with Apple' aims to replace Facebook authentication to keep user data private

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    Oh please. You remind me of the iKnockoff Knights who claim Apple sells user data and when asked for proof their reply is "YOU don't know!" All while using Google devices/services.
    ...who also doesn't sell user data and those that claim they do never have proof of it either. The internet is full of disinformation masquerading as fact. 

OK let me rephrase "all while using Google devices/services which use data for profit".

There's no way Google will give up 80% of their revenue for users privacy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    Oh please. You remind me of the iKnockoff Knights who claim Apple sells user data and when asked for proof their reply is "YOU don't know!" All while using Google devices/services.
    ...who also doesn't sell user data and those that claim they do never have proof of it either. The internet is full of disinformation masquerading as fact. 

OK let me rephrase "all while using Google devices/services which use data for profit".

Perfectly fair phrasing. Using data, especially anonymized data, as part of a profitable business plan is not unusual. Imn the case of Google and ad targeting "you" are not your name and number and address and such. Instead you're a faceless Advertising ID number same as some other companies use in order to avoid the connection of personal information. Apple uses 'em too for "anonymizing" users for ad purposes.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 23 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Perfectly fair phrasing. Using data, especially anonymized data, as part of a profitable business plan is not unusual. Imn the case of Google and ad targeting "you" are not your name and number and address and such. Instead you're a faceless Advertising ID number same as some other companies use in order to avoid the connection of personal information. Apple uses 'em too for "anonymizing" users for ad purposes.

Great reply but the point still stands that Google can get away with anything meanwhile Apple haters spew theories as fact.

Apple on the contrary is doing a good deed here and with no added profit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:

Great reply but the point still stands that Google can get away with anything meanwhile Apple haters spew theories as fact.

Apple on the contrary is doing a good deed here and with no added profit.
    TBH Google gets away with nothing. Look at the fines the EU has imposed, and the number of scare stories about these horrid evil scare stories about the terrible, just terrible things Google does. Burn 'em to the ground!

But yes I agree this is a great move on Apple's part, and there's not actually any insurmountable reason Google could not follow in their footsteps in the relatively near future and still maintain the profitable ad placement business that's made them one of the richest companies on the planet. 

Google has recently been leaning more towards Apple's position with more granular permission controls in Android, increased on-device processing, and wider rollout of federated learning in more Google services. They need to move faster IMO, but the moves are encouraging nonetheless. I fully expect that within a few years both Apple and Google's privacy controls will be more similar than not. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 25 of 25
    SynickelSynickel Posts: 11member
    This is great, but can't they do it on the OS?