Apple's quiet update to Siri Shortcuts brings the niche tool into the mainstream

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:
    Time for a poll:
    Siri disabled 
    Siri Shortcuts (active user)
    Siri Shortcuts (didn’t know it existed)
    Siri Shortcuts (to much trouble)

+1 Siri disabled 
    dougd said:
    I always turn Siri OFF.  No use for this nonsense

You guys are so edgy and awesome, just on another plane of humanity. Let me know how I can subscribe to your newsletter. 
    Yup, but for those of us who keep an eye on these things, this a game-changing year for Siri that started way back in February:

https://www.imore.com/apple-buys-pullstring-and-i-dream-again-sirios

I suspect this is the acquisition that brought Conversational Shortcuts to WWDC. Devs can now code up Siri actions that allow for voice-controlled paths through app logic to provide answers directly to the user or pass the answer other shortcuts. 

Shortcuts can now be triggered by events, and can now run in the background. And now the shortcut app is baked into the OS rather than requiring users to find it on the App Store, I think usage will skyrocket. 

And we should see interactive shortcuts on the Apple Watch and the HomePod (buying a second one for the living room as soon as multi-user support lands). 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Fidonet127Fidonet127 Posts: 507member
    I can see where the name Siri Shortcuts can cause some confusion , but this is a tech forum. You don’t require Siri to use the shortcuts. You can put a button on the home screen. 

I have a shortcut to put in weight and body fat readings in to health. I don’t have a Bluetooth scale and this makes it quick and easy. 

I got got one that I can select the destination and uses my current location to calculate how much longer, then sends a text. Great for commuting. 

One to turn offf Bluetooth and WiFi. 
    One to turn them both back on and send a text. 

It is not that hard. 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    ivanh said:
    Siri is counter-productive. Waste a minute, try it yourself.
    Work great! Using it everyday. (This should answer @seanismorris poll too)

Just yesterday when I left my condo, after locked my door I lift my watch to my mouth and said “Tell my wife I’m on my way” and did nothing else. Not even tapping Send or tell her to send. The message just automatically sent to my wife while I’m hurry myself to elevators. That made me realize we’re in Dick Tracy age. 
    edited June 2019 netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    UncleB3N11UncleB3N11 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    my biggest problem with siri shortcuts that it does not use Siri's voice :(, I was hoping they would add that feature in iOS13 but in beta 1 it's not added yet. I was hoping after shwoing of the NTT features of siri it would do it. Anyone knows anything about it if it gonna happen or not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    UncleB3N11UncleB3N11 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    my biggest problem with siri shortcuts that it does not use Siri's voice :(, I was hoping they would add that feature in iOS13 but in beta 1 it's not added yet. I was hoping after shwoing of the NTT features of siri it would do it. Anyone knows anything about it if it gonna happen or not.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    slurpy said:
    Time for a poll:
    Siri disabled 

+1 Siri disabled 
    dougd said:
    I always turn Siri OFF.  No use for this nonsense

You guys are so edgy and awesome, just on another plane of humanity. Let me know how I can subscribe to your newsletter. 
    Slurpy... so you’re saying you’re a Siri user?

I’d consider using Siri for long trips into the unknown.  But, I still have a warning to ‘finish setting up my iPad/iPhone’ and frequently get prompted to enable it, along with Apple Pay, and WiFi.  I hate nannyware!!! If I wanted it enabled I’d do so...  (I do have Apple Pay enabled on my phone)

Apple is probably pulling that same crap with kids... ‘mommy I need your credit card’ Like that’s a good idea....
    What in the hell are you even talking about? Seriously I have no idea what you’re trying to suggest. 

I use Siri Shortcuts most days of the week. Sorry it’s too challenging for you. Not everyone needs poweruser features tho. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32

DAalseth said:
    Time for a poll:
    Siri disabled 

+1 Siri disabled 
    Siri was silly until the last few updates. Within the last year I've started to use it a fair amount. I also am beginning to dictate things more and more. Siri is working fine. On the other hand I've never found a use for Siri Shortcuts. Maybe I just don't do the kind of repetitive things they're talking about but I haven't found a place that it might be useful. I created one to practice, but I never use it. SS reminds me of AppleScript. That was a great, powerful tool as well. But I found I never used it because it was more hassle to program something to just do it.
    Yes. Because it has a horrible user interface. If you haphazardly launch a half-baked product at the gunpoint of the Marketing, then system engineers struggle to turn it into a truly working product in the next major OS update. At its present state Shortcuts is just a proof of concept marketed falsely as a “system feature”.
    Another guy with a conspiracy newsletter. “But but but Apple is just marketing!”

Cool story bro. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32

@seanismorris, et al, I don’t understand the point of your posts. The whole article is on Siri Shortcuts but apparently you came to this thread just to post that Siri is disabled on your device. Why does that matter to anyone? I don’t go to articles about Logic, for example, and then post “Never use it.” Your posts don’t really add to the conversation so, again, what is the point?
    They’re social equivalents with graffiti taggers. “Hey! I’m here! Hey! Look at me!”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32

ivanh said:
    Siri reading my insistent complaining is counter-productive. Waste a minute, try it yourself.
    Fixed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    TheRealEddieBTheRealEddieB Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I just came here to complain about Siri.. that's it I'm done now. Seriously the real advance is that now it's built in, app developers can (and are) add "Do you want to save this as a Siri shortcut" type buttons at the end of transactions/actions within the app. My bank (Commbank) app started offering this feature now that I'm on iOS 13 so I can now instruct my banking app via voice (still have to authenticate into the app of course) to repeat previously transactions.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    mdevamdeva Posts: 1member
    Siri Shortcuts are pretty weak (and when I complain, Siri doesn’t like the language I use). I make EXTENSIVE use of Text Shortcuts, but it takes five screens to get to them. I was hoping I could just tell Siri, “Open Shortcuts” - or even, “Open my effing Shortcuts now, 🍑!” But it seems the closest Siri can do is open Settings - like walking into a Chinese restaurant and needing to speak Mandarin. 🙁 
  • Reply 32 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mdeva said:
    Siri Shortcuts are pretty weak (and when I complain, Siri doesn’t like the language I use). I make EXTENSIVE use of Text Shortcuts, but it takes five screens to get to them. I was hoping I could just tell Siri, “Open Shortcuts” - or even, “Open my effing Shortcuts now, ߍᡦrdquo; But it seems the closest Siri can do is open Settings - like walking into a Chinese restaurant and needing to speak Mandarin. ߙᦡmp;nbsp;
    “Hey, Siri, open Shortcuts” works fine for me. But it sounds like you’re talking about Text Replcement, which has nothing to do with Shortcuts? Why would Siri know what you’re talking about?
    edited October 2019