'Sky: Children of the Light' now available to pre-order and will release on July 11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
First shown in 2017 at Apple's iPhone X event, developer thatgamecompany's "Sky: Children of the Light" is now available for pre-order on the App Store and will be available to play on July 11.

Sky: Children of the Light
Sky: Children of the Light

Sky: Children of the Light was first announced in 2017 as a title that would be released exclusively the Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone in winter of that year. It was originally introduced at Apple's iPhone X event to demonstrate the use of Metal 2 and the A10X Fusion chip in the Apple TV 4K.

However, Sky has seemingly faced some development delays. This may be because the developer has expanded the amount of platforms it will be available on. Sky is coming to the iPhone and the iPad first, and will release later to tvOS, macOS, PC, and console.

Sky will feature multiplayer elements that enable players from around the world to socialize, as well as team up to take on more difficult challenges. Cooperative play has been a center of Sky's design since it was first unveiled.

According to the App Store, Sky will have seven realms for players to explore, feature customization options for the player's character, and will have seasonal events and later expansions.

Sky: Children of the Light will be a free-to-play release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It looks good -- but where's the sex and violence?

I thought wholesome was outdated and old fashioned?
    macplusplusjahblade
  • Reply 2 of 13
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Meh.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    This looks absolutely lovely. But I’m just not interested in ‘social’ games. I play video games when I don’t want to deal with other people. A social aspect, building teams, cooperating, and all that whether in Sky or a FPS is not why I game. But it does look absolutely lovely.
    jahbladewilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Problem is that these games - beautiful as they are - are expensive to make (unless you are a student or subsidized indie game studio) and make zero money.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Problem is that these games - beautiful as they are - are expensive to make (unless you are a student or subsidized indie game studio) and make zero money.
    So you're saying there's a an industry built around losing money? How does that work exactly?
    JWSCjdb8167
  • Reply 6 of 13
    DAalseth said:
    This looks absolutely lovely. But I’m just not interested in ‘social’ games. I play video games when I don’t want to deal with other people. A social aspect, building teams, cooperating, and all that whether in Sky or a FPS is not why I game. But it does look absolutely lovely.
    I get what you're saying.
    But, for my grandson, it is the complete opposite:   He plays with his friends on the X-Box as much (often more) than in person.   In fact, he has been known to return home from a visit just so he could play an XB0x game with the kid he just left!

But, the X-Box is a superb social gaming machine:  He puts on a set of headphones with a microphone and he and his friend(s) interact on the game as separate characters (sometimes on the same team or sometimes against each other) while talking / trash-talking each other over the headphones.

Essentially, it has largely replaced the "cowboys and indians" games I played with my friends many years ago -- but he gets to sip soda pop, eat chips and get fat while he does it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Hmmmm.  Are you sure about that?

https://lpesports.com/e-sports-news/the-video-games-industry-is-bigger-than-hollywood
  • Reply 8 of 13
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    Unimpressive. It looks like an interactive anime rather than a game. The short video reveals nothing about Metal. Making it “social” doesn’t make it a “game”. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    DAalseth said:
    But, for my grandson, it is the complete opposite:   He plays with his friends on the X-Box as much (often more) than in person.   In fact, he has been known to return home from a visit just so he could play an XB0x game with the kid he just left!

But, the X-Box is a superb social gaming machine:  He puts on a set of headphones with a microphone and he and his friend(s) interact on the game as separate characters (sometimes on the same team or sometimes against each other) while talking / trash-talking each other over the headphones.

Essentially, it has largely replaced the "cowboys and indians" games I played with my friends many years ago -- but he gets to sip soda pop, eat chips and get fat while he does it.
    You make a good point. I think it may well be a generational thing. Those of us who cut our teeth on gaming in the '80s before there was anything like the web, being used to playing alone. 
  • Reply 10 of 13
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

You make a good point. I think it may well be a generational thing. Those of us who cut our teeth on gaming in the '80s before there was anything like the web, being used to playing alone. 
    I'm with you!
    I think that its a personal thing too:   My grandson is very much an extrovert and gets energy from interacting with people and gets bored when he can't.   I'm very much an  introvert who gets exhausted dealing with people and needs alone time to unwind.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Feels a little bit like Journey (PS exclusive) crossed over with Ghibli's Castle in the Sky
  • Reply 12 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    2 years late. Embarrassing since this should have been an AppleTV 4K launch title and would have jumpstarted the platform.

Really, Apple needs to acquire some developers to get launch games out. This kind of behavior would be laughable by Nintendo or Sony.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    2 years late. Embarrassing since this should have been an AppleTV 4K launch title and would have jumpstarted the platform.

Really, Apple needs to acquire some developers to get launch games out. This kind of behavior would be laughable by Nintendo or Sony.
    *Coughs in Last Guardian*