Mac Pro, Pro Display XDR coming in September, says Apple [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2020
The Mac Pro and the Apple Pro Display XDR may start shipping to customers in September, after updates to the Apple website seemingly suggests a more refined release date for the Mac workstation and its screen than Apple's previous advisement of the fall.

The front page notification link interface clearly displays September as the Mac Pro's arrival time
The front page notification link interface clearly displays September as the Mac Pro's arrival time

Since its unveiling at the Worldwide Developers Conference last Monday, Apple declared the new Mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR will be going on sale sometime in the fall. Changes to the Apple website have narrowed down that season-long timeframe to just one month.

Scrolling down the Apple website to the Mac offers links to "Learn more" and to "Notify me," with the latter bringing up an interface to enter an email address to receive news about the impending launch. The box that appears includes the text "Coming September," seemingly in reference to when the Mac Pro will go on sale.

The notification interface from the Mac Pro's product page shows the fall as its arrival period
The notification interface from the Mac Pro's product page shows the fall as its arrival period

The same date is also offered when clicking on the related "Notify me" link further down the page for Apple's Pro Display XDR. However, selecting the same "Notify me" buttons on the page of each product brings up the same box but with the text "Coming This Fall."

While the data on the site is likely to be accurate, with a high probability that Apple will be bringing out the Mac Pro and the companion display in September, the revelation is a small slip for the company's marketing of the hardware with a wider delivery window.

Despite the "Coming September" detail, it is unknown if this references when consumers will actually receive their order, or if it will be when pre-orders will commence.

Starting from $5,999, the Mac Pro can be configured to have a 28-core Xeon processor, up to 1.5TB of memory, up to two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II graphics MPX Modules, and an Afterburner card for improved video editing, all in a modular-designed enclosure.

Apple's Pro Display XDR, priced at $4,999, is a 6K-resolution 32-inch screen offering up to 1,000 nits of brightness, a 1,000,000-to-1 contrast ratio, an optional etched matte nano-texture coating, and the same rear lattice pattern as the Mac Pro's enclosure used as a heatsink.

Update: The Mac Pro's "Notify me" pop-up has since been updated to read "Coming This Fall."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Does anyone know where these will be made, I am assuming it will be stateside. This will also explain why the internet world did not have insight into the spec of the machine prior to the announcement. US manufacturers know how to keep their mouths shut.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As much as I’m slavering for this, I’m going to wait a couple of months for any possible hardware bugs to be worked out. I mean, I’ve waited since 2012 for a new one, I guess I can wait another two months, or so.
    JWSCemig647canukstormtmaydysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    This has changed, btw. It now says "Coming This Fall" on the "Notify Me" dialog.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    melgross said:
    As much as I’m slavering for this, I’m going to wait a couple of months for any possible hardware bugs to be worked out. I mean, I’ve waited since 2012 for a new one, I guess I can wait another two months, or so.
    love to hear the specs you're going for (and the reasoning)!
    gatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 26
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    maestro64 said:
    Does anyone know where these will be made, I am assuming it will be stateside. This will also explain why the internet world did not have insight into the spec of the machine prior to the announcement. US manufacturers know how to keep their mouths shut.

Has nothing to with "US manufacturer's", has more to do with it being Apple making these systems themselves and being able to keep there own employees quiet. At least I would assume so. Probably another reason why it took so long to get this "out the door" - they had to build the factory to make them.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    melgross said:
    love to hear the specs you're going for (and the reasoning)!
    I’m not 100% certain yet. I’d like to know more about the specifics, and see some performance tests first. But a problem right now is that we don’t know how Apple is going to offer this. Is it like car upgrades, where you get features you want, along with features you don’t want? Is it completely a la cart, where you can select any combo you want?

without knowing that, it’s hard to say.

but my first thought is going for the 12 core system. RAM isn’t a problem, because I usually buy that from OWC, so getting more from Apple isn’t a concern. A concern is that 256GB startup SSD. I get why only 256 is offered for the lowest level. A lot of larger organizations keep that startup pretty clean. In addition, they only keep a few apps on it. So even 256 might be sufficient. But I need 1TB, because that’s what I use, and it’s about half full.

while cost isn’t my biggest concern, it is a concern. So knowing how much everything is priced and offered will help me decide what to begin with. Hopefully, from what Apple has been saying, we can add more as time goes on. It’s interesting that we can buy a standard graphics card rather than their modules. There are power ports on the mobo for that, just as in my old 2012 model. But then you lose the extra TB 3 ports, among other things, as well as a higher noise level, though that’s never been a problem with my old machine.

really, right now, there’s too much information to completely digest, and not enough to make a completely informed decision. The monitor though, that’s a no brainer!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    mjtomlin said:
    maestro64 said:

Has nothing to with "US manufacturer's", has more to do with it being Apple making these systems themselves and being able to keep there own employees quiet. At least I would assume so. Probably another reason why it took so long to get this "out the door" - they had to build the factory to make them.
    It would be great if it were made here. But if it were, don’t you guys think that Apple would have made a point of that, the way they did with the trash can model? A video of it being made here, for instance?
    StrangeDaysdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    melgross said:
    mjtomlin said:
    maestro64 said:

It would be great if it were made here. But if it were, don’t you guys think that Apple would have made a point of that, the way they did with the trash can model? A video of it being made here, for instance?
    Agree. Of course it might be assembled in the US, especially since it's modular but if the majority of the parts are manufactured outside the US (which specified parts, GPU, CPU, RAM, etc., are made in the US?) then why would it matter if it were even assembled in the US? This model isn't going to sell in the millions (would be great if it did) so having a manufacturing or assembly facility probably wouldn't be worth it. The case is aluminum and the inner housing is stainless steel(?) both of which could be manufactured in the US probably using automated methods (we have to give up on the fallacy that any tech company is going to employ a lot of people, they would only generate income for managers and profits for investors). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Why does the clock speed go down as the number of cores goes up?
    macseekerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    Perfect! Just in time for my birthday. Now I just need to convince someone that I am worth of such a prestigious gift. Anyone want to buy a mint condition 2013 Mac Pro?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    tyler82 said:
    More cores run hotter? That’s my guess. 
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    tyler82 said:
    Heat. The more cores on a chip, the more power is used, and the more heat is generated. There’s a balance. Drop the speeds until the total amount of heat is sustainably removed by the cooling system.

thats why there are turbo modes. If only one or two cores are being stressed, they can fun faster, for a while.

i think it’s very interesting in the way writers and reviewers handle this between “Desktop/laptop” and mobile, as in phone and tablet. So for the Desktop/laptop market, when one or two cores can do a higher speed for a while, and the other cores just sit there, it’s called “turbo”, and it’s considered to be positive. When, in a phone or tablet, the same thing occurs, it’s called throttling, and it’s a negative.
    edited June 2019 StrangeDaysdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    Maybe it will be in september, but not everywhere. On European Apple corporate websites there is still no evidence of the Mac Pro being added to the lineup - and that's strange, because on a normal basis we would have seen it popping up from the very first update post the official announcement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    melgross said:
    tyler82 said:
    Heat. The more cores on a chip, the more power is used, and the more heat is generated. There’s a balance. Drop the speeds until the total amount of heat is sustainably removed by the cooling system.

thats why there are turbo modes. If only one or two cores are being stressed, they can fun faster, for a while.

i think it’s very interesting in the way writers and reviewers handle this between “Desktop/laptop” and mobile, as in phone and tablet. So for the Desktop/laptop market, when one or two cores can do a higher speed for a while, and the other cores just sit there, it’s called “turbo”, and it’s considered to be positive. When, in a phone or tablet, the same thing occurs, it’s called throttling, and it’s a negative.
    Hah!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    hexclock said:
    tyler82 said:

Probably true. I recall from my computer science courses that the reason we haven't seen anything above 4.0 Ghz was that the heat created was growing so exponentially fast that within a few years the heat would outpace that of the sun. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    tyler82 said:
    hexclock said:
    tyler82 said:

Probably true. I recall from my computer science courses that the reason we haven't seen anything above 4.0 Ghz was that the heat created was growing so exponentially fast that within a few years the heat would outpace that of the sun. 
    I thought that the higher clock speed was hampered by electrons want to jump the gap. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    viclauyycviclauyyc Posts: 849member
    maestro64 said:
    Given the price of the Mac Pro, I will not be surprise if it is made on Mars.

Does anyone know how much is a max out Mac Pro will cost? Not that I can afford it. 
    tyler82dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    nadrielnadriel Posts: 92member
    viclauyyc said:
    maestro64 said:

Does anyone know how much is a max out Mac Pro will cost? Not that I can afford it. 
    Apple does, the rest of us can guess. Maybe 10k for just the custom top GPU. 

Without feeling too much like googling for you I’d guess the top end is around 55-60k

top end enterprise stuff cost a lot. Doesn’t matter whose the seller. If it is rack mountable you can easily go over 40 k for the whole potato.

I could see my department investing on one or two of those. Since the old crunchers are getting a bit inadequate. 
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    tyler82 said:
    hexclock said:
    tyler82 said:

Incredible. We would probably need a second Earth to generate that much electricity. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    viclauyyc said:
    maestro64 said:

About the same as a tricked out Dell or Hp workstation, in the low mid tens of thou.

watto_cobra