How to share your audio with two AirPods in iOS 13

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2019
Thanks to iOS 13, with a second set of AirPods or PowerBeats Pro, two people can listen to the same audio from one device at once. Here is how it works.

AirPods audio sharing in iOS 13
AirPods audio sharing in iOS 13

Share your music, movies, and more

There are two ways to go about sharing your audio with iOS 13. First is the effortless proximity-based method Apple showed off on stage at its World Wide Developer Conference. It is easy and appealing as many of Apple's devices are -- just move one device towards the second and a card will display asking to share audio.

Audio sharing
Audio sharing

At the moment, we are currently working with the first beta of iOS 13 which doesn't seem to support this method at the moment. We will revisit this as iOS 13 moves closer to launch. Fortunately, the second method does work in beta one.

Manually pairing

The alternative method requires a bit of manually work rather than just bringing two devices together.

Bluetooth menu connecting two sets of AirPods in iOS 13
Bluetooth menu connecting two sets of AirPods in iOS 13

• First, we have our iPhone with our AirPods connected

• Next, we open the Bluetooth menu inside of Settings

• Hold the pairing button on the back of the second set of AirPods

• Tap the second set of AirPods when they appear under "Other devices" are ready to pair

• Confirm both device show "Connected" in the list of devices

That's it! Now we have both pairs of AirPods connected to our single iOS 13 device. From the AirPlay menu, both pairs of AirPods should be visible and will hear the same audio coming through.

We saw no delay either between each set of headphones and both headphones can have their audio adjusted independently -- similar to AirPlay 2 speakers.

Apple says this new feature will work with both AirPods and PowerBeats Pro on iPhone 8 or later, iPad Pro 12.9-inch 2nd generation and later, iPad Pro 11-inch, iPad Pro 10.5-inch, fifth-generation iPad, third-generation iPad Air, fifth-generation iPad mini, and the seventh-generation iPod touch.
Mankub

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    achantaramachantaram Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Does any bluetooth headphones works with this feature or just Airpods?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    According to Apple, just AirPods and PowerBeats Pro
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Probably only headphones with Apples chips are compatible
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 11
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    The only device where this matters to me is unsupported: AppleTV.
    lollivergutengel
  • Reply 5 of 11
    achantaramachantaram Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    morky said:
    Doesn't make any sense to limit this feature only to iPhone/iPad's. The best use case of multi audio-streams is Apple TV. Probably Apple release new headsets compatible with Apple TV with custom E1(Entertainment) chip.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Does this trick work with both generations of AirPods? Or must both pairs be of the second generation?
    techrider
  • Reply 7 of 11
    techridertechrider Posts: 101member
    Does this trick work with both generations of AirPods? Or must both pairs be of the second generation?
    Gen 1 owners shouldn’t be left out
    raoulduke42
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    Works with both generations of AirPods
    raoulduke42
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    morky said:
    I really wish I could just connect my airpods by tapping the apple tv at my friends/family houses when I visit. Apple should allow this asap.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MankubMankub Posts: 1member
    In your video, we’re either of those two AirPods gen 1?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    2 pairs of Gen 1 AirPods, iPad Pro 9.7-inch with iPadOS Public Beta 2 and works like a charm (tried in VLC).