Seven new MacBook & MacBook Pro models on the way

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited June 2020
Filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission indicate Apple is preparing to launch a large batch of new or refreshed MacBooks in the near future, with seven model numbers found to have been added to the regulator's database on Thursday.

The filings for the model numbers are listed at the Eurasian Economic Commission (EEC) website as A2141, A2147, S2158, A2159, A2179, A2182, and A2251. The model numbers are similar to those of other MacBooks, indicating they could be from the same product family, with the additional description of the numbers being for "portable" computers seemingly confirming that suspicion.

The EEC filings are legally required for devices to be sold with encryption-related elements in Russia and other countries, including Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Kyrgyzstan. While the filings typically provide very little data, aside from the existence of models and product categories, it does serve as an indicator that Apple is planning to launch products in the coming months, or even sooner.

The model numbers were first reported by MacRumors.

Aside from a refresh of existing models, there is a possibility the model numbers could be related to a 16-inch MacBook Pro option that has surfaced in rumors. Possibly a new larger tier beyond the current 15-inch versions, the 16-inch model could use OLED displays supplied by Samsung.

There has also been speculation on the possibility of Apple using mini LED backlights to create even larger models, possibly reviving the 17-inch MacBook Pro the company discontinued in 2012.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    1. I’m really hoping the long-neglected MacBook gets a total refresh. And a bit lower price. I know, I’m a dreamer ...

2. Even if that “16-inch” rumour turns out to be true, everyone understands that that’s just the 15-inch MBP with a thinner bezel, right? I would expect this year’s MBP updates to be minor spec bumps and possibly thinner bezels, not much more than that. I’m guessing that we won’t see a major redesign of the MBP before 2020.
    MisterKitcaladanianfastasleepjdiamond
  • Reply 2 of 56
    PylonsPylons Posts: 32member
    Looking forward! Crossing fingers for models with more key travel and without Touch Bar, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Has anyone kept track in the past of how long time has elapsed from these database listings to actual product launches? (Yes, the article states "in the coming months, or even sooner", but I was thinking of a table or statistical analysis.)
    williamlondonThe Owl
  • Reply 3 of 56
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    chasm said:
    1. I’m really hoping the long-neglected MacBook gets a total refresh. And a bit lower price. I know, I’m a dreamer ...

2. Even if that “16-inch” rumour turns out to be true, everyone understands that that’s just the 15-inch MBP with a thinner bezel, right? I would expect this year’s MBP updates to be minor spec bumps and possibly thinner bezels, not much more than that. I’m guessing that we won’t see a major redesign of the MBP before 2020.
    I think the next generation will be ARM from the ground up, hopefully running much cooler than what we’ve got today.

Pylons said:
    Looking forward! Crossing fingers for models with more key travel and without Touch Bar, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Has anyone kept track in the past of how long time has elapsed from these database listings to actual product launches? (Yes, the article states "in the coming months, or even sooner", but I was thinking of a table or statistical analysis.)
    caladanian
  • Reply 4 of 56
    Too many SKUs. Hasn't Apple learned?
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 56
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    Pylons said:
    Shouldn’t you be hoping for a better Touch Bar implementation?
    williamlondonrandominternetpersoncaladanianAppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 56
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 868member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Pylons said:
    One of the better Touch Bar implementation is physical ESC key. :D
    spice-boyviclauyycjdiamondapres587chemengin1FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Wgkrueger said:
    Pylons said:
    It can be easily addressed via software, yet most of the interface remains till this day.  I thought BetterTouchTool might worth a try, but it requires some skills too.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    If there are 7, only 6 are listed in this article, 

1. Retina MacBook Air 
    2. Retina Macbook
    3. MacBook Pro 13 FN
    4. MacBook Pro 13 TB
    5. MacBook Pro 15 TB
    6. 16 to 16.5 inch laptop
    7. ???

I imagine the classic MacBook Air won’t be changing model numbers. So, there are two new form factors coming out?

Wish they would just retire the classic MBA, retire the MB12 and retire the MBP13FN. They can make lessor and higher performance versions of the rMBA and fill out price tiers at $1000, $1200 and $1500. 

williamlondonronnfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 56
    tht said:
    If there are 7, only 6 are listed in this article, 

1. Retina MacBook Air 
    2. Retina Macbook
    3. MacBook Pro 13 FN
    4. MacBook Pro 13 TB
    5. MacBook Pro 15 TB
    6. 16 to 16.5 inch laptop
    7. ???

I imagine the classic MacBook Air won’t be changing model numbers. So, there are two new form factors coming out?

Wish they would just retire the classic MBA, retire the MB12 and retire the MBP13FN. They can make lessor and higher performance versions of the rMBA and fill out price tiers at $1000, $1200 and $1500. 

There’s no reason for the Air to exist once the processor can run on its own, isn’t it?  It could be simple as “clamshell iPads” without the thermal issues in the Core m.

Having seven model showed up at once doesn’t mean it will release all of them, right?
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 10 of 56
    matrix077 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Pylons said:
    Why do people clamber for a return of the ESC key?  I've had a Touch Bar MacBook Pro for years now and I have never felt this loss.  Perhaps because I haven't touched vi in 5+ years?
    caladanianAppleExposedchiawilliamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 56
    chasm said:

"Just"?  Isn't a 16-inch screen crammed into the same form factor as a 15-inch screen laptop exactly what one would want?  Or are there people hoping that a 16-inch MBP would be a little wider and heavier than a 15"?
    edited June 2019 lorin schultzraoulduke42chiawilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 56
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    I love the Touch Bar. If they can improve it, fine, but don't take it away. I have no problem with the virtual Esc key. It works even when you hit to the side of it. Having a top row that has keys germane to the app your working with is a huge step forward. If the compainers always got their way, we would still be using manual typewriters.
    randominternetpersoncaladanianAppleExposedfastasleepchiawilliamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Very recently Costco added iMac, MacBook Pro and iPads for sale. That’s always my signal newer models are on the way.
    caladanian
  • Reply 14 of 56
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 495member
    The MacBook seems to be in the right position for Apple to drop an ARM based MacOS device. It would be fun to see.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    matrix077 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Pylons said:
    Why do people clamber for a return of the ESC key?  I've had a Touch Bar MacBook Pro for years now and I have never felt this loss.  Perhaps because I haven't touched vi in 5+ years?
    Not when the key get covered by a close button, it should be always present on the left corner.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    matrix077 said:
    Wgkrueger said:
    Pylons said:
    The escape key is used extensively in software lightly porter from other platforms.  It is a very important key for people using open source and other ported software.  It doesn’t stop there though as it is also functional in Mac only software if the developer has implemented it. 

As for the ribbon of touch keys keys I actually like the concept.   It is great for software you use sporadically.  
    chemengin1
  • Reply 17 of 56
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 691member
    I hope they keep the current keyboard. It feels great and works perfectly. Two years and zero problems with my Touch Bar 15-inch MBP, which I use 10+ hours a day.

I do like the idea of a 16-inch model. Take my money, Apple!
    caladanianfastasleepwilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 56
    I would love to know where the new iMac Pros are. After Mac Pro price disaster, I need new iMac pro more than a new lab top. But maybe that just me...
    caladanianwilliamlondonchemengin1
  • Reply 19 of 56
    killermike2178killermike2178 Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    What Apple needs to do with their MacBook lineup:

1. Kill off the Retina 12" MacBook. In a world where a faster MacBook Air with a 13.3" inch screen exists, there is no reason for this thing to still be in the ecosystem, especially considering it hasn't been updated in 2 years. 

2. Rebrand the 13" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar as the MacBook. When I see the word MacBook without a trailing Air or Pro, I think of something that's slightly heavier and more powerful than the Air, but not quite as powerful as the Pro with Touch Bar, which is exactly what it is as of right now, though it could use some soec bumps to remain relevant, since it also hasn't been updated in 2 years.

3. Everybody keeps talking about Apple bringing a 16-16.5" MacBook Pro with a nearly bezel-less design sometime next year, and I'm here thinking "Y'all do remember that Apple used to have a 17" MacBook Pro, right?" I say bring *that* back with a Retina 4K screen, and with a slightly larger battery, so they can double or even quadruple the memory capacity, especially if the current 15" model has two SODIMM slots with soldered modules. Samsung has 32 GB ECC SODIMM modules in the works, so if they can double that to 4 slots in a larger Logicboard, then they could easily give us a mobile i9 with 128 GB of RAM or better yet,  a mobile Xeon with 128 GB of ECC RAM. Maybe bump up that Vega 20 to something better with 8 or even 16 GB of HBM2 VRAM. Other laptop manfacturers (Dell and Lenovo come to mind) have 17" pro notebooks that are beefier than their 15" counterparts, it's time Apple did the same. 
    Jake Dansarge
  • Reply 20 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What Apple needs to do with their MacBook lineup:

1. Kill off the Retina 12" MacBook. In a world where a faster MacBook Air with a 13.3" inch screen exists, there is no reason for this thing to still be in the ecosystem, especially considering it hasn't been updated in 2 years. 

2. Rebrand the 13" MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar as the MacBook. When I see the word MacBook without a trailing Air or Pro, I think of something that's slightly heavier and more powerful than the Air, but not quite as powerful as the Pro with Touch Bar, which is exactly what it is as of right now, though it could use some soec bumps to remain relevant, since it also hasn't been updated in 2 years.

3. Everybody keeps talking about Apple bringing a 16-16.5" MacBook Pro with a nearly bezel-less design sometime next year, and I'm here thinking "Y'all do remember that Apple used to have a 17" MacBook Pro, right?" I say bring *that* back with a Retina 4K screen, and with a slightly larger battery, so they can double or even quadruple the memory capacity, especially if the current 15" model has two SODIMM slots with soldered modules. Samsung has 32 GB ECC SODIMM modules in the works, so if they can double that to 4 slots in a larger Logicboard, then they could easily give us a mobile i9 with 128 GB of RAM or better yet,  a mobile Xeon with 128 GB of ECC RAM. Maybe bump up that Vega 20 to something better with 8 or even 16 GB of HBM2 VRAM. Other laptop manfacturers (Dell and Lenovo come to mind) have 17" pro notebooks that are beefier than their 15" counterparts, it's time Apple did the same. 
    Would love for a return of the 17” MacBook Pro.
    jdiamond