Apple updates Logic Pro X with performance upgrades for 2019 Mac Pro

Posted:
in Mac Software edited June 2019
Apple on Thursday updated Logic Pro X, its audio workflow suite, in order to lift performance caps ahead of the launch of a new Mac Pro this fall.

Logic Pro X on 2019 Mac Pro

The 10.4.5 release supports up to 56 processing threads, and can run up to five times the previous amount of real-time plugins, Apple said. The update also increases the number of supported tracks, channels, auxiliary channel strips, and external MIDI tracks to 1,000 each, with 12 sends per channel strip.

"Users can also expect improved responsiveness of the Mixer and Event List when working with large sessions, and projects with numerous Flex Time edits and tempo changes perform more efficiently than ever," Apple elaborated.

Smaller enhancements include the ability to drag and drop multiple loops from the loop browser, which can now also filter by loop type. A DeEsser 2 plugin improves options for reducing sibilance (hissing), and MIDI beat clocks can now be sent to individual ports, each with custom settings.

Logic Pro X 10.4.5 is a free update or $199.99 new. It requires macOS 10.12 or later.

The 2019 Mac Pro revives a modular design, letting owners upgrade as needed rather wait for an expensive total-system refresh. Even a base configuration won't be cheap however, starting at $5,999 without a monitor. Photo and video professionals needing absolute accuracy will be able to buy a 32-inch Pro Display XDR for $4,999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Damn, that new Mac Pro looks so sweet. It's more than I am willing to spend right now, so I wont be getting one, but that doesn't mean that I can't lust after one. :#
    caladanianAppleExposed1983StrangeDaysdocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    apple ][ said:
    Damn, that new Mac Pro looks so sweet. It's more than I am willing to spend right now, so I wont be getting one, but that doesn't mean that I can't lust after one. :#
    Apple will never do this, probably, but I still want a mid-range modular tower. You know, something like a Windows PC, if not quite.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:
    Apple will never do this, probably, but I still want a mid-range modular tower. You know, something like a Windows PC, if not quite.
    Yeah, it doesn't look like Apple has any plans for such a thing any time soon.

I guess that those people who are absolutely determined to have one, can make their own if they have the knowledge and they're willing to put in the time and effort.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Recording studios around the world will have these.

Freaking Amazing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    apple ][ said:
    It’s the new drum kit for wannabe Neil Pearts.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    apple ][ said:
    Same here!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

I guess that those people who are absolutely determined to have one, can make their own if they have the knowledge and they're willing to put in the time and effort.
    So the question going forward is why doesn’t Apple have any plans for a “mid-range tower”? Could it be there is no profitable market or need for such a machine? I think that’s the case. Apple knows who its customers are and they apparently are not the “mid-range tower” types. All the screaming and hollering here in tech blog forums doesn’t mean there are enough potential buyers out there. And even if Apple came up with such a machine it would be trashed immediately as not good enough and not cheap enough by that vocal minority. The “I won’t buy one unless and until...” comments would drown out any positives. Yes, Apple knows who its customers are and the current lineup is meeting those customer’s needs.
    edited June 2019 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member

Freaking Amazing.
    I’m betting that I start seeing these things show up on live touring rigs with Pro Tools or video stuff. I’m seeing more and more 4K and 8k projectors in productions, and this new machine seems perfect for that. 
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    lkrupp said:
    apple ][ said:
    apple ][ said:

So the question going forward is why doesn’t Apple have any plans for a “mid-range tower”? Could it be there is no profitable market or need for such a machine? I think that’s the case. Apple knows who its customers are and they apparently are not the “mid-range tower” types. All the screaming and hollering here in tech blog forums doesn’t mean there are enough potential buyers out there. And even if Apple came up with such a machine it would be trashed immediately as not good enough and not cheap enough by that vocal minority. The “I won’t buy one unless and until...” comments would drown out any positives. Yes, Apple knows who its customers are and the current lineup is meeting those customer’s needs.
    The Mac Pro will sell in volume to film houses, recording studios, R&D facilities, at good margins. Mid-range tower customers would always be comparing a Xeon W to their Core i5. They would never win. This keeps Apple above the Frey. They aren’t going to make a $300 plastic tower to compete with Dell at $10 profit per unit. Besides, an iPad Pro is faster than your Core i5/i7.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Apple has an excellent desktop line up now (finally) from base iMac that aptly serve the masses (home & schools) to upgraded iMac pros (Prosumer/corporate) to expandable Mac Pros (corporate). Nicely done. Plus throw in the Mac mini as an alternate format. Nearly all have at least an Intel 8th gen processor. What’s left? I’d like to see an iMac design tweak (no bezels, wide screen?), an Apple (non pro) monitor that matches the iMac, and move completely to SSDs!
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    Hmmm... I’m guessing they have a few Mac Pros in the hands of audio professionals (and maybe video pros also), for testing before ramping up production, (with NDAs).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Fatman said:
    Apple has an excellent desktop line up now (finally) from base iMac that aptly serve the masses (home & schools) to upgraded iMac pros (Prosumer/corporate) to expandable Mac Pros (corporate). Nicely done. Plus throw in the Mac mini as an alternate format. Nearly all have at least an Intel 8th gen processor. What’s left? I’d like to see an iMac design tweak (no bezels, wide screen?), an Apple (non pro) monitor that matches the iMac, and move completely to SSDs!
    I'd love a new Apple Keyboard with Touch Bar for my Mac Pro.  Now I am used to it on my MBP I reach for it all the time now when using the Mac Pro.
    sphericAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    apple ][ said:
    I agree and I'd buy that tomorrow.  An iMac in a Mac G4 case sort of thing (remember those, heck even like a Qudra 840 av lol).  Before I get the usual response 'but that is the new Mac Pro' I am meaning something that can be upgraded but no to the extent of a Mac Pro hence could be a lot less expensive.

That said I'll probably get the new Mac Pro in 2020 after the dust settles.
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    hexclock said:

Freaking Amazing.
    I’m betting that I start seeing these things show up on live touring rigs with Pro Tools or video stuff. I’m seeing more and more 4K and 8k projectors in productions, and this new machine seems perfect for that. 

Oh yeah. There's a market for them.

MacPro said:
    Fatman said:
    I'd love a new Apple Keyboard with Touch Bar for my Mac Pro.  Now I am used to it on my MBP I reach for it all the time now when using the Mac Pro.

BRILLIANT. I never thought of that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    A DeEsser 2 plugin improves options for reducing sibilance (hissing)
    Hey Roger. A DeEsser is indeed to reduce sibilance, but “hissing” is not really an accurate description of what most audio engineers are trying to reduce when they use a DeEsser. It is more like the sharp, percussive-like sound that sometimes exists at the start of an “s” sound by a vocalist. It can be piercing and distracting so they try to dial in the very specific EQ range causing the offense and reduce it. A DeEsser is essentially a shortcut to accomplish a specific EQ and compression maneuver. Peace.
    edited June 2019 docno42watto_cobra