DualShock 4 makes Fortnite on iPhone even better with iOS 13

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2019
One of the most exciting changes for gamers with Apple's latest crop of updates is official support for both PlayStation and Xbox controllers. We spent a few minutes -- or hours -- gaming with our Sony PlayStation DualShock 4 controller to see how much of a difference it made when playing Fortnite among other titles.

iOS 13 now supports PS4 DualShock 4 controllers
iOS 13 now supports PS4 DualShock 4 controllers

When gaming on mobile, we often would turn to our SteelSeries Nimbus -- an excellent Apple-certified controller. It performs great and really has a lot of similar functionality of the DualShock 4 or Xbox One controller.

For us, mobile gaming is only a small portion of our time playing games, but that puts us in the minority these days. While we prefer the experience offered to us on our PlayStation 4, the world is moving on, with more and more opting for mobile -- despite a sub-optimal control scheme for games like "Fortnite."

Later in 2019, Apple will be releasing two major things for gamers -- support for Xbox One and DualShock 4 controllers with iOS and tvOS 13 as well as Apple Arcade. With all the new exclusive titles arriving with Apple Arcade, our time gaming on Apple TV, iPhone, and iPad will undoubtedly increase.

While we wait for Apple Arcade to arrive we can already test the support for the new controllers. We downloaded a few games such as Fortnite and connected our midnight blue DualShock 4 and spend some significant time trying it for ourselves.

Playing Fortnite with a PS4 DualShock 4 controller
Playing Fortnite with a PS4 DualShock 4 controller

Connecting the controller is easy -- we've already delved into that -- and once it is connected you can view the battery at any time from the battery widget in Today View.

Unsurprisingly, the controller made quite a difference for us. Most people out there won't have an MFi controller lying around but will certainly have a PlayStation or Xbox controller that they can use. Second, it was so much more natural to use while playing. We were much more familiar and comfortable that we (at least appeared) to have much more skill in the variety of games we played.

Controls were as expected, with circle switching to build mode, X jumping, square reloading, triangle swapping weapons, bumpers switching between your items, left trigger aims while the right trigger fires. Currently, L3 and R3 still sit idle -- a common complaint from mobile Fortnite players that has yet to be addressed. Now that controller use will likely increase on mobile, Epic may finally remedy that and add some functionality there.

There is little doubt in our minds how many more players are going to now be connecting PS4 or Xbox controllers to their iOS and tvOS devices come this fall and we are just getting more excited for the imminent launch of Apple Arcade at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Anyone have an idea why Switch controllers aren't supported?

This is such an inconvenience to us.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

You'd have to talk to Nintendo about that, really, as at least some vendor cooperation is required.

They aren't universal HID devices -- and neither are the XBO or PS4 controller.
  • Reply 3 of 13

You'd have to talk to Nintendo about that, really, as at least some vendor cooperation is required.

They aren't universal HID devices -- and neither are the XBO or PS4 controller.

That's what I thought but seems strange considering Apples relationship with Nintendo is great when it comes to gaming.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    So, next logical question. What’s the recommendations for how to game on the go with an iOS device and a PS4 controller?

clips for the controllers?
    racks / holders for devices on the back of a car seat?
    Any issues gaming while the controllers charge?  Can a controller charge off of an iPad/iPad Pro?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 5 of 13
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I wonder what the chances are that Apple releases Apple Arcade as an app on smart tv’s, streaming devices, as well as the PS4 and Xbox. Does anyone think it’s possible?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Japhey said:
    I wonder what the chances are that Apple releases Apple Arcade as an app on smart tv’s, streaming devices, as well as the PS4 and Xbox. Does anyone think it’s possible?
    Good question. I feel like they'd want it to be Apple exclusive. Since processing is on-board I doubt it will be released on TVs. Consoles are still capable.

The challenge comes in the future when Apple will have stronger processing power than consoles. Then it might not even be possible to accommodate consoles.
    Japhey
  • Reply 7 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't have an Xbox or a Playstation, but I might just buy one of those controllers soon when Apple Arcade comes out and iOS 13 comes out.

I just have to decide which one I'm going to go for. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Playstation controller, because I'm used to using an old Playstation controller a long time ago, and the Xbox controller looks worse, but I will try to test out both in a store before I make up my mind.
    lolliver
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Apple really deserves huge praise here for finally doing this. It shows they are now getting serious about gaming.
    IMO, this was one of the crucial things holding iOS as a platform for gaming, back. (The criticism is that it took them so darn long! You can find lots of my posts going back years, complaining about this.)

I think L3/R3 is an overall problem, not just Fortnite. I think someone (in some other thread) mentioned that it isn't part of the spec, yet.

apple ][ said:
    I don't have an Xbox or a Playstation, but I might just buy one of those controllers soon when Apple Arcade comes out and iOS 13 comes out.

I just have to decide which one I'm going to go for. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Playstation controller, because I'm used to using an old Playstation controller a long time ago, and the Xbox controller looks worse, but I will try to test out both in a store before I make up my mind.
    Hmm, well since I'm a PlayStation fan, I'm clearly biased towards the DS4. I just find it to be way more comfortable than the Xbox controllers (the limited number of times that I've tried them), or my Steelseries Nimbus. I think they are all now high quality, so it depends more on which one feels best in your hands (and button layout, though I guess you get used to that).

If you previously used a PS controller, you'll probably prefer that if you have any muscle-memory left. The DS4 (for PS4) variety is much higher quality than the controllers for PS2/3. It is an impressive piece of hardware. Even though I like my Steelseries, I think once iOS 13 arrives, I'm going to be playing Minecraft Bedrock (and other games) with the DS4. I wonder if I can sell the Steelseries for much.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Now Apple & Epic just have to get Fortnite on Apple TV. Would be an instant boon to Apple TV gaming with that one game & Xbox/PS4 remote support. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 13

I haven't yet invested in a PS4 and considering the console is in its twilight years (with rumours that the next gen console will come out next year), I think I'll wait it out till next year.

However, I am pretty stoked about Apple Arcade and may pick up a DualShock 4 controller, simply for playing the iOS games.

• Reply 11 of 13

I haven't yet invested in a PS4 and considering the console is in its twilight years (with rumours that the next gen console will come out next year), I think I'll wait it out till next year.

However, I am pretty stoked about Apple Arcade and may pick up a DualShock 4 controller, simply for playing the iOS games.

Yeah, if you aren't itching too badly to get going, I'd just wait (on next Playstation). I was thinking about a PS4 Pro, but would rather just save up for the next-gen at this point. Having a DS4 around, especially with support coming to iOS seems a good idea.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    FujiiiFujiii Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    As of now L3/R3 don’t work. There’s ways to fix this via moonlight but not directly on the device. On 13Beta5 currently, playing mostly Fortnite with crouch reassigned to an unused d-pad input.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Fujiii said:
    As of now L3/R3 don’t work. There’s ways to fix this via moonlight but not directly on the device. On 13Beta5 currently, playing mostly Fortnite with crouch reassigned to an unused d-pad input.
    Yeah, I'm hoping that gets fixed eventually. That said, since I'm playing more on iOS these days than my PS4 (ex: Minecraft), I'm getting more used to the control layout w/o the L3/R3. Initially, the PS3/4 version was so baked in to my muscle memory, that I would setup my Mac with the same mapping and then struggle on iOS. I'm now really used to the alternate mapping with my Steelseries Nimbus (w/o L3/R3). But, I'd rather play with a DS4, as it's a better controller (though the Steelseries seems well-built, it just isn't quite as responsive or something, and pressure/travel, etc. aren't as refined).