Former Apple event venue Flint Center is closing

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2019
The Flint Center for the Performing Arts at De Anza College in Cupertino is to be permanently closed, the college's board of trustees has voted, with the center that has previously played host to a number of important Apple events potentially being turned into student housing.

Steve Jobs with the G3 iMac
Steve Jobs with the original G3 iMac at the Flint Center

In a meeting on Monday, the Foothill-De Anza Community College Board of Trustees voted 4-1 in favor of closing the Flint Center. The closure means there is a possibility the facility could be replaced by a new building, one that could be an updated performing arts venue similar to Flint Center's main purpose, or for student or faculty housing.

The meeting had a large audience from the dining commons and a plethora of speakers arguing both for and against its closure, writes the Los Altos Town Crier. While the main contingent of students were in favor of closing the center and replacing it with student housing, there was some pushback on its closure.

Members of the Peninsula Symphony and California Pops Orchestra groups argued to keep it open, with the center being a regular concert venue for each, while others suggested the college would lose its "No. 1 PR tool" by shutting it down.

Tim Cook and U2 at the Flint Center in 2014
Tim Cook and U2 at the Flint Center in 2014

For Apple, the Flint Center served as the venue for a number of the company's major announcements. The earliest was in 1984, when late CEO Steve Jobs demonstrated the original Mac to shareholders, a week before a similar presentation was made by Jobs to the Boston Computer Society.

In 1998, Apple launched the first iMac, a blue model that was not only a major product that reinvigorated the company with a striking computer design, but also one of the first when Jobs returned to Apple. The following year, the center was used for the launch of the iMac SE.

The last time the Flint Center was used by Apple for its events was in 2014, when current Apple CEO Tim Cook launched the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as introducing the Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    R.I.P.

Reborn as Steve Jobs Theater.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 813member
    Could be an Apple Museum.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 14
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Great idea! I hope Apple steps in and saves it. Beats student housing.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    Fat chance.

Apple has had countless opportunities to build a museum on its own property.

Perhaps more importantly the company culture is forward facing. They don't publicly rest on their laurels. Starting with Steve, the company has never shown much interest in putting their history on a pedestal.

If Apple wanted a museum, it would already exist. They could have easily designated one of the buildings on Mariani Avenue (where the company made their home in the early years) as a museum. If fact, that would be a far more appropriate location rather than trying to build a museum on a campus of a public community college.

Student housing is a far more important issue.
    edited June 2019 ravnorodom
  • Reply 5 of 14
    the monkthe monk Posts: 93member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
     Considering the high(est) cost of living in Silicon Valley, an Apple museum is more important than student housing? Ugh.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 6 of 14
    the monk said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:
     Considering the high(est) cost of living in Silicon Valley, an Apple museum is more important than student housing? Ugh.

Yes.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    karmadavekarmadave Posts: 369member
    This is truly unfortunate. My girlfriend and I have been attending the Celebrity Forum for the past couple years and were sad to hear they will be on hiatus due to the Flint Center. This is the first I heard that the Flint Center is permanently closing.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 8 of 14
    the monkthe monk Posts: 93member
    the monk said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Yes.
    Puke.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 14
    the monk said:
    the monk said:
    iOS_Guy80 said:

Yes.
    Puke.

Excuse me? Was the student housing a charity? Will it house students for free? If so, the article does not mention this or I may have missed this.
    Otherwise expect the same high prices as anywhere else. You can take your pseudo-moral views elsewhere.

Even if expensive student housing replaced the Flint Center I still believe an Apple museum or keeping the Flint Center is more important.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    LatkoLatko Posts: 398member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Let Tim have Public Affairs check the attention value of the premise first
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 11 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Apple would never build a museum...its really never been about looking at the past, always moving forward. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Sigh, very sad!  The acoustics were great.  My wife and I attended several concerts there...  A warm summer afternoon listening to the great guitarist Andrés Segovia
     from the balcony felt like we were sitting next to him...  Also, attended the Mac announcement and several other Apple events.

edited June 2019 docno42meterestnz
  • Reply 13 of 14
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    Yeah, because giving student who need it an affordable place to live while learning in order to do better is such a waste of space... much better to show some past technology (even though Apple has a 5+ billion new campus they could host it at near by and there's a computer history museum down the freeway).
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Sigh, very sad!  The acoustics were great.  My wife and I attended several concerts there...  A warm summer afternoon listening to the great guitarist Andrés Segovia
     from the balcony felt like we were sitting next to him...  Also, attended the Mac announcement and several other Apple events.

I'd say you were very lucky to have seen Andres Segovia live! The man is a legend.