Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    tmay said:
                                      avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    I place the 2018 models on an 'S' cycle and therefore would hope for a major renovation of the 2019 devices.

I'm sure camera versatility will lead to more sales, though.

I find it difficult to imagine Apple going through another iterative upgrade with competitors pushing so hard for so long and with them still using 5W chargers etc.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd go for improvements to 3D sensing and associated software (including real time 3D modelling). Much improved battery tech (at every stage). Far more camera versatility. Better AI. More attractive shell finishes.

It might not be game changing, as all of that is already available on Android flagships, but it should help to sell more iPhones - if they also adjust pricing down.

I definitely expect the handsets to be more newsworthy than last year's which were largely overshadowed by the Series 4 Apple Watch.
    More attractive shell finishes? Only in the mind of Huawei marketing (which I sometimes wonder if you work for) is metallic gradient finishes a more attractive design. 
    And, if he does?
    I say Good!   Because he has brought a lot of fact based truth to those parroting the propaganda and fear mongering of Trump and his hardliners. 

We saw the results of letting a political agenda drive facts in 2001 - 2003: "Iraq is part of the Axis of evil", "We KNOW the WMDs are there!".
    Now we seem to be repeating the same process with Huawei and Iran.

I am grateful that he brought some facts and truth to the table here.
    You sound like you are more than okay with China's Hong Kong extradition law, which some 1 million residents have been protesting.

You are so enraged by Donald Trump that you don't even see the illiberal forces in China that are rolling back Hong Kong's democracy.

Next up, China will be invading Taiwan. Will the U.S. and the West just stand aside and let another Democracy fall?

Useful idiot pretty much describes your viewpoint.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9341580632/hong-kong-photojournalists-police-press-conference-riot-gear-protest-extradition-bill

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/13/world/asia/hong-kong-telegram-protests.html

http://www.jeromecohen.net/jerrys-blog/hong-kongs-extradition-law
    So you are now justifying Trump's attacks on Huawei and his trade war with China on the HongKong protests?
    What happened to Huawei being a security threat?   I haven't heard that claim lately.

The simple truth:
    Trump and his supporters seem to latch onto any convenient excuse to justify their wars -- whichever excuse will sound credible and sell to the base.

Bush did the same to sell his war on Iraq.
    Not buying the sales pitch doesn't make me the "useful idiot"
    https://twitter.com/nvanderklippe

"
    If Huawei is looking to demonstrate the reliability of its equipment, maybe it could figure out a way to keep mobile service functional in downtown Hong Kong during protests and marches."

But of course, Huawei is tightly interconnected with China's government, provides them surveillance technology as well as telecom, so how can they possibly allow protestors to use the network?

Sucks that Huawei can't prove it isn't controlled by the Chinese Government, nor are they transparent enough to allow the West to do so.

https://twitter.com/natashakhanhk

Huawei has always made it crystal clear that the carriers control their own networks.

What you are linking to has nothing to do with Huawei.

If you have evidence to the contrary, now is the time to provide it.
    You would certainly know better that I how much surveillance technology that Huawei has in Hong Kong, but even if it that is also under the Chinese Government's control, rather than Huawei's, it bring into question, again, how close an association that Huawei has with the Chinese Government. 
    HiSilicon has a very wide and successful line of imaging surveillance technology. It is sold worldwide in cameras from a huge amount of vendors. Those vendors sell to governments and the Chinese government is one of the largest purchasers of that kind of equipment. it isn't the only government of course and individuals and companies worldwide (including in the US) also purchase them.

There is a possibility that any surveillance camera you see (in your garage, shopping center, street corner, metro station etc) could have a HiSilicon chipset in it. But that is where the Huawei connection ends.

Sorry if that disappoints you.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,344member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
                                      avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    I place the 2018 models on an 'S' cycle and therefore would hope for a major renovation of the 2019 devices.

I find it difficult to imagine Apple going through another iterative upgrade with competitors pushing so hard for so long and with them still using 5W chargers etc.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd go for improvements to 3D sensing and associated software (including real time 3D modelling). Much improved battery tech (at every stage). Far more camera versatility. Better AI. More attractive shell finishes.

It might not be game changing, as all of that is already available on Android flagships, but it should help to sell more iPhones - if they also adjust pricing down.

I definitely expect the handsets to be more newsworthy than last year's which were largely overshadowed by the Series 4 Apple Watch.
    More attractive shell finishes? Only in the mind of Huawei marketing (which I sometimes wonder if you work for) is metallic gradient finishes a more attractive design. 
    And, if he does?
    I say Good!   Because he has brought a lot of fact based truth to those parroting the propaganda and fear mongering of Trump and his hardliners. 

We saw the results of letting a political agenda drive facts in 2001 - 2003: "Iraq is part of the Axis of evil", "We KNOW the WMDs are there!".

You sound like you are more than okay with China's Hong Kong extradition law, which some 1 million residents have been protesting.

You are so enraged by Donald Trump that you don't even see the illiberal forces in China that are rolling back Hong Kong's democracy.

Next up, China will be invading Taiwan. Will the U.S. and the West just stand aside and let another Democracy fall?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9341580632/hong-kong-photojournalists-police-press-conference-riot-gear-protest-extradition-bill

So you are now justifying Trump's attacks on Huawei and his trade war with China on the HongKong protests?
    What happened to Huawei being a security threat?   I haven't heard that claim lately.

The simple truth:
    Trump and his supporters seem to latch onto any convenient excuse to justify their wars -- whichever excuse will sound credible and sell to the base.

"
    If Huawei is looking to demonstrate the reliability of its equipment, maybe it could figure out a way to keep mobile service functional in downtown Hong Kong during protests and marches."

But of course, Huawei is tightly interconnected with China's government, provides them surveillance technology as well as telecom, so how can they possibly allow protestors to use the network?

Sucks that Huawei can't prove it isn't controlled by the Chinese Government, nor are they transparent enough to allow the West to do so.

Huawei has always made it crystal clear that the carriers control their own networks.

You would certainly know better that I how much surveillance technology that Huawei has in Hong Kong, but even if it that is also under the Chinese Government's control, rather than Huawei's, it bring into question, again, how close an association that Huawei has with the Chinese Government. 
    HiSilicon has a very wide and successful line of imaging surveillance technology. It is sold worldwide in cameras from a huge amount of vendors. Those vendors sell to governments and the Chinese government is one of the largest purchasers of that kind of equipment. it isn't the only government of course and individuals and companies worldwide (including in the US) also purchase them.

There is a possibility that any surveillance camera you see (in your garage, shopping center, street corner, metro station etc) could have a HiSilicon chipset in it. But that is where the Huawei connection ends.

Sorry, but Huawei makes the backend as well; the servers, storage, and AI hardware, and that is quite well known. 

How did I learn that?

Because you are always fucking bragging about it, so I looked into it.

Huawei is well established within the Chinese Surveillance state, and are certainly one of many Chinese companies that sell both to the Chinese Government, and other nations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/04/25/huawei-xinjiang-and-chinas-high-tech-surveillance-state-joining-the-dots/#2f82facd52e9

"The article explained that "Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE are constructing smart cities in Pakistan, the Philippines and Kenya, featuring extensive built-in surveillance technology," and although "selling advanced equipment for profit is different than sharing technology with an express geopolitical purpose, these new capabilities may plant the seeds for global surveillance: As governments become increasingly dependent upon Chinese technology to manage their populations and maintain power, they will face greater pressure to align with China’s agenda."

""Ecuador’s system," the New York Times said, "is called ECU-911 [and] was largely made by two Chinese companies, the state-controlled C.E.I.E.C. and Huawei." In a statement, Huawei told the newspaper that the company "provides technology to support smart city and safe city programs across the world. In each case, Huawei does not get involved in setting public policy in terms of how that technology is used."

It's a dirty business, so of course, Huawei is involved.

You really are either naive if you weren't aware of this. 
    edited June 2019 docno42
  • Reply 63 of 63
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,699member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
                                      avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

And, if he does?

The simple truth:

"

Sorry, but Huawei makes the backend as well; the servers, storage, and AI hardware, and that is quite well known. 

How did I learn that?

Because you are always fucking bragging about it, so I looked into it.

Huawei is well established within the Chinese Surveillance state, and are certainly one of many Chinese companies that sell both to the Chinese Government, and other nations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2019/04/25/huawei-xinjiang-and-chinas-high-tech-surveillance-state-joining-the-dots/#2f82facd52e9

"The article explained that "Chinese companies like Huawei and ZTE are constructing smart cities in Pakistan, the Philippines and Kenya, featuring extensive built-in surveillance technology," and although "selling advanced equipment for profit is different than sharing technology with an express geopolitical purpose, these new capabilities may plant the seeds for global surveillance: As governments become increasingly dependent upon Chinese technology to manage their populations and maintain power, they will face greater pressure to align with China’s agenda."

""Ecuador’s system," the New York Times said, "is called ECU-911 [and] was largely made by two Chinese companies, the state-controlled C.E.I.E.C. and Huawei." In a statement, Huawei told the newspaper that the company "provides technology to support smart city and safe city programs across the world. In each case, Huawei does not get involved in setting public policy in terms of how that technology is used."

It's a dirty business, so of course, Huawei is involved.

You really are either naive if you weren't aware of this. 
    Oh dear!

First. I never brag. In this case I can only remember mentioning Huawei's surveillance technology once or maybe twice, and in either case definitely not bragging about it.

Second, and I will quote directly from your own quote:

Huawei does not get involved in setting public policy in terms of how that technology is used

Perhaps the most shocking part is that after the very line that you yourself quoted which said Huawei does not get involved with how the technology is used, you follow up your own line saying the opposite!:

"So of course, Huawei is involved"

That is ironic but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and reinterpret your use of 'involved'.

The problem is that if I do that, it says what I said originally!:

"But that is where the Huawei connection ends"

Huawei doesn't control the purposing of the equipment. That depends solely on the purchaser, not Huawei.

Perhaps the word surveillance has a bad name but there are very legitimate uses for it that go from high security purposing down to the most mundane purposes. Yes, there will be questionable uses for it too but complaints about that should be directed at the owners of the systems, not Huawei.

'Huawei makes the backends'

No it doesn't. It makes backends. Not the backends. Approximately 60% (according to some estimates) of surveillance equipment worldwide is using HiSilicon chipsets. I mentioned 'vendors' further up. The vast majority of them do NOT use ANY Huawei equipment at all out side the chipset.

Huawei makes virtually everything in a communications chain of devices. That goes from micro chipsets, the devices that use them, routers, antennas, inverters, mast heads, servers, storage, software and AI and many of the patents underlying all of that. Of course, as you know it also lays hundreds of thousands of miles of undersea communications cabling and sells hundreds of millions of mobile handsets.

As part of that vast coverage it also provides cloud services and server backends. Depending on your needs, it can provide a complete surveillance service but the use and scope of the equipment is limited to the owner of the system, NOT Huawei.

Now, that it is crystal clear that Huawei is not determining the use of the systems, a little context is in order. Most of those large systems go far beyond pure surveillance (which is how you are trying to make it look) and form part of the backbone of 'smart cities'. That means they are part of a far larger scope which includes literally thousands of use cases, of which pure surveillance is just one element.