Apple issues second iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13, watchOS 6, macOS 10.15 betas

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2019
Apple has moved on to its second round of betas for its milestone releases, offering developers new builds of iOS 13, iPadOS 13, tvOS 13, watchOS 6 and macOS 10.15 Catalina for testing.

The new builds can be acquired by developers in the beta as an over-the-air update on devices enrolled into the program, or via the Apple Developer Center. Public beta versions of each operating system normally arrive a few days after the developer betas, though so far they have not been made available for the milestone versions, and are made available via the Apple Beta Software Program website.

The second developer test version of iOS 13 is build number 17A5508m, replacing the first beta, build 17A5492t. The second tvOS 13 beta is build 17J5501l, up from 17J5485s for the first build. The new second watchOS 6 build is 17R5507l, taking over from the first, 17R5491t. The second iPadOS 13 beta is build 17A5508m Lastly, macOS Catalina 10.15's second build is 19A487l, carrying on from the first build, 19A471t.

The new batch of beta builds arrive within a few weeks of the first, which were issued shortly after Apple presented the new operating system versions on June 3 at WWDC.

Apple is currently running two separate sets of betas at the same time, with the milestone operating systems offered alongside iOS 12.4, tvOS 12.4, watchOS 5.3, and macOS 10.14.6.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly suggest users avoid installing betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the potential for data loss or other issues. It is instead recommended to install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data beforehand.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I've had remarkably few issues with any of my betas. The only one of note is Sys Prefs keep crashing on one machine so enabling Home Sharing has been impossible to set up on my headless machine. Hopefully that changes today.
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Initial impressions of iPadOS beta 2 is that it is running MUCH smoother, already feeling more like a finished protect, not a beta. 
    StrangeDaysAppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 18
    AlinAlin Posts: 16member
    When the public beta? 😁 
    lolliverPetrolDave
  • Reply 4 of 18
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    One thing I noticed is that the default shell in terminal is now zsh and not bash! - WTF Apple? 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 5 of 18
    ElCapitan said:
    One thing I noticed is that the default shell in terminal is now zsh and not bash! - WTF Apple? 
    There are a couple easy methods to switch it back to bash.

• Reply 6 of 18
    ElCapitanElCapitan Posts: 372member
    Soli said:
    ElCapitan said:
    There are a couple easy methods to switch it back to bash.

The Apple supplied version of bash was rather outdated. I think they do this for licensing reasons as the licensing of bash was changed to a license that required them to open source a lot more than they probably felt comfortable with. 
  • Reply 7 of 18
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    Alin said:
    When the public beta? ߘᦡmp;nbsp;

Should be soon. I'm a customer beta tester (somewhere in between developer and public) and just got invited for the iOS/iPadOS betas with beta 2. The public beta usually doesn't follow far behind.

I'm wondering if they're ever going to do a public beta of watchOS.

edited June 2019
  • Reply 8 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Do any beta testers have access to a corporate MS server network to see how SMB server access that was enabled in this beta works?

I am pretty sure it will work on my home NAS, but what about in the corporate world? What would the IT department need to do to allow it?

And how would it work? Say I am in MS Word on my iPad, will I be able to see word documents on the SMB server, edit it them remotely and then save on the server (good), or do I need to transfer the file to the iPad first to do anything with it, then transfer back (clunky)?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    ct13021ct13021 Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I can’t get the beta to pop up on my phone any idea how to fix this. I have iOS 13 already on my iPhone? 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Alin said:
    When the public beta? ߘᦡmp;nbsp;
    I believe Apple said it would be in July, later July. That's a good thing. There's been issues from thee beta's that really need to be fixed before releasing a Public Beta version. You really should run a any type of Major iOS Beta on your Primary device. I'm running Public iOS12 beta's on my devices currently. But once past iOS12, it's more of a stable OS and so generally safe to running the Public Beta's. But the current iOS13, I would wait, at least on your primary device. So I won't install it on my iPhone. I'll wait until it's officially released later this year. Then do any public beta's after that. I will run iOS13 Public beta on my iPad Pro. If something go bonkers, it's not the end of the world.

The whole point running any beta version though is to find and report BUGS!!! If you're not willing to do that much, you should wait for the official release version.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I have been reporting bugs it’s decent build. I just can’t get beta 2 to come OTA. That’s what I’m asking if anyone else had issues? 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    ct13021 said:
    I can’t get the beta to pop up on my phone any idea how to fix this. I have iOS 13 already on my iPhone? 
    1) If you don't know whether you have iOS 13 on your iPhone then you don't.

2) For others that know they have iOS 13 on their iPhone, you'll need to go Apple's dev site to grab the profile so you can install beta 2.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 13 of 18
    I have iOS 13 on my device now. I can’t get the beta 2 to pop over system update. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    ct13021 said:
    I have iOS 13 on my device now. I can’t get the beta 2 to pop over system update. 
    You need the profile from the developer website. 
  • Reply 15 of 18
          It appeared I was installing Beta 2 but after the install completed the version is still showing as IOS Beta 13.  Is this normal?  Is there another way to determine which version I have installed?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    bagpiperbagpiper Posts: 10member
          It appeared I was installing Beta 2 but after the install completed the version is still showing as IOS Beta 13.  Is this normal?  Is there another way to determine which version I have installed?
    This is normal.

To view the exact OS version that your device has installed, go to Settings > About > Software Version > and just tap once on the “13” to reveal the actual version number such as ”13.0 (17A5492t)” that is currently installed.

This trick works on many of the settings where you might need additional info but only generic information is displayed

BTW my initial impressions of both Beta “1“ of MacOS Catalina and iPadOS 13 are great!  I have been testing them since day one, and only 1-2 apps have had issues. I am shocked that this is the first beta
  • Reply 17 of 18
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Apple Configurator 2 should show more detailed info.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Before I load any developer macOS beta on a clone of my existing boot drive (I always use an external SSD for betas of macOS) I disable all connections to iCloud Photos Library because once it updates Photos there is no way back and it always wants to update it.  Is there any developer iCloud account set up that allows testing all the iCloud elements without updating the actual working one?