Apple's own 5G modem expected to land as soon as 2022

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    lkrupp said:
    This 5G hubbub is similar to the Samsung Fold. The fake techies will hammer Apple over it but in truth it won’t be until 2022 that 5G is widely available. And I still don’t understand why a mobile phone would need that kind of speed other than because it can.
    Ya, I can already stream video's. Which is about the biggest bandwidth hog. Why would you need faster speed on a cell phone? So you can download a app a few seconds faster? How about fixing some of the dead zones in areas that shouldn't have such a weak signal.

My the way, for 5G to be useful, you need almost double the towers as the distance for 5G is a lot less. That just makes 5G connection issues even worse. You'll be lucky to see it by 2022 and even then only in certain areas. It really is over hyped. To much B.S. marketing and few real facts are being thrown out there. It's like 5G is the second coming.

Then you have StarLink, Elon Musk Satellite service. Has anyone done the math? 12,000 Satellites that will last in low earth orbit for 5 years. The first launch, launched 60 Satellites. 12,000 divided by 60 equals, 200 Rocket launches. That means they have to launch about 17 rockets a month. That's getting 12,000 up in a years time. Those that are up, are now 1 year old with a 4 years left on them. Those are going to have to get replaced in 4 years.

Or go another way. 12,000 divided by 5 years. That equals 2,400 a year to launch. Taking 5 years to reach the full 12,000. 2,400 divided by 60 equals 40 Launches, divided by 12 months equals 3.3333 Launches per month.

That means SpaceX would have to launch 3-4 rockets per month FOREVER!!!!!! Taking 5 years just to complete the full 12,000 low earth orbit satellites. Satellites with a 5 year lifespan!!! That is just to keep this network up and running. That seems pretty costly, even with the rockets being reusable like they are. Am I missing something? That doesn't count launching satellites for others. Seems insane to me.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Please link to conclusive evidence that wireless comms are doing damage to our brains. 
    These forums for the last five years? :P
    edited June 2019 avon b7
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jcs2305 said:
    kestral said:
    I've known Apple over the decades, the first version is going to have a lot of problems.
    I'll want to get the last iPhone with a QCOM 5G modem in it and stick with it while Apple works out the bugs.
    You guys can beta test for AAPL.
    Considering they ( Apple/Qualcomm)  have a six-year license agreement effective as of April 1, 2019 I don't think anyone will be doing any beta testing as you put it for quite a while.
    Oh, how I wish that date was significant.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    ceek74 said:
    Cool.  By then we'll have 7H or 9J.
    Yes, that makes TOTAL sense...
  • Reply 25 of 28
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    jbdragon said:
    lkrupp said:
    This 5G hubbub is similar to the Samsung Fold. The fake techies will hammer Apple over it but in truth it won’t be until 2022 that 5G is widely available. And I still don’t understand why a mobile phone would need that kind of speed other than because it can.
    Ya, I can already stream video's. Which is about the biggest bandwidth hog. Why would you need faster speed on a cell phone? So you can download a app a few seconds faster? How about fixing some of the dead zones in areas that shouldn't have such a weak signal.

My the way, for 5G to be useful, you need almost double the towers as the distance for 5G is a lot less. That just makes 5G connection issues even worse. You'll be lucky to see it by 2022 and even then only in certain areas. It really is over hyped. To much B.S. marketing and few real facts are being thrown out there. It's like 5G is the second coming.

Then you have StarLink, Elon Musk Satellite service. Has anyone done the math? 12,000 Satellites that will last in low earth orbit for 5 years. The first launch, launched 60 Satellites. 12,000 divided by 60 equals, 200 Rocket launches. That means they have to launch about 17 rockets a month. That's getting 12,000 up in a years time. Those that are up, are now 1 year old with a 4 years left on them. Those are going to have to get replaced in 4 years.

Or go another way. 12,000 divided by 5 years. That equals 2,400 a year to launch. Taking 5 years to reach the full 12,000. 2,400 divided by 60 equals 40 Launches, divided by 12 months equals 3.3333 Launches per month.

That means SpaceX would have to launch 3-4 rockets per month FOREVER!!!!!! Taking 5 years just to complete the full 12,000 low earth orbit satellites. Satellites with a 5 year lifespan!!! That is just to keep this network up and running. That seems pretty costly, even with the rockets being reusable like they are. Am I missing something? That doesn't count launching satellites for others. Seems insane to me.
    You are missing the planned bigger rockets. ;)
  • Reply 26 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    jbdragon said:
    lkrupp said:

Having little knowledge of this I’ll just add that it would be likely that future launches would deploy more than 60.  After all, if today 60 can be launched, wouldn’t they be working to reduce the size/weight and increasing the cargo capacity such that future launches could deploy twice as many, then four times as many, and perhaps beyond? Do we even know that the 60 you mentioned was at full launch capacity? 
  • Reply 27 of 28
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    orthorim said:
    lkrupp said:
    One of the main flaws of 5G - there's no use case. 

Second flaw - thanks to this being basically microwaves, you need towers everywhere. Tons of them.

Third flaw - its frying your brain. Also in part thanks to the towers having to be everywhere. Military uses these frequencies for crowd control. 

The difference to previous gen mobile tech is that for 5G, thousands of scientists have signed letters of concern - the safety of this technology is highly questionable. Thousands of scientists have signed a letter of concern, many studies on these frequencies indicate that they are damaging human health. 

Theres a vague promise of an iOT - but that won't come from 5G, that will be more like that super low power low data bandwith protocol a startup recently introduced (forgot name). To have extremely low power, extremely small receiver chips and antennas makes sense for iOT - that's what you'd want. 5G? Wouldn't work for those use cases because it requires too much power... my cat collar doesn't need to communicate at 100MBPS either... 

At best 5G is an idiotic waste of money

At worst, the conspiracy theorists are right - and since Snowden, that's not even so far fetched anymore, because all the stuff Snowden revealed was considered tinfoil-hat territory prior to that - and these devices are going to be used to track all movement of everyone at all times, and to simultaneously fry our brains.

Please link to conclusive evidence that wireless comms are doing damage to our brains. 
    His post?