Aspyr ends 32-bit Mac game sales in shift to 64-bit support only

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    mystigo said:
    Not a game per se, but by far the most painful thing for me is losing Photoshop 5.5 which was the last version you could buy a perpetual license for (please correct me if I am wrong about that). If I upgrade to Catalina, I would need to subscribe, and the cost to do so is beyond prohibitive for what I use it for.
    i am trying to figure out in what world $10/mo is too much for photoshop and lightroom? granted it requires a one year commitment but $120/yr is less than apple music family plan so... 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 776member
    mystigo said:
    I just took a look. Photoshop CS5.5 says it is 64 bits in the system report. I note that it "requires QuickTime", which is being pulled out of Catalina. Hopefully it is not a hard requirement.

I wouldn't mind getting the CS6 version. If it works.
    Just upgraded my MacBook Pro to an Octo-Core going from OS X 10.13 to 10.14. I used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my old 2012 MBP.

I WAS worried that 10.14 would break CS6… and had hesitated upgrading mightily…
    BUT… when I launched Photoshop CS6 it asked for my serial number.
    Illustrator asked for Apple Java 2017-001.

That was it. Done! 
    CS6 works fine. Lightroom 6 works fine.

I can live without upgrading to Cavatelli or Cavaradossi or whatever 10.15 is called.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 776member
    They're finally killing off Call of Duty 4?
    BASTARDS!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    They're finally killing off Call of Duty 4?
    BASTARDS!
    Just in time for the reboot
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    blastdoor said:
    Ack. 

For the most part, I think Apple is right to purge old software in order to advance the platform. But there are some old games that are painful to lose. Is it possible to run older versions of OSX in a virtual machine in order to play these classics? Or would one be forced to run an older version of Windows in a VM to play the classics? 
    1. Parallels allows this IIRC, but the machine you’re running it on must also support that macOS version (for example, my 2012 MBP would let me run Snow Leopard if I had the install discs). Sheepshaver still functions in Mojave, so you can in theory run very VERY old systems (like System 7!), but man is that ever a pain to set up.

Be aware that very old (pre-El Capitan at this point) macOS versions are now **security risks**, so while you may want to still use them, you should keep them off the internet entirely.

2. A Windows version in a VM like the aforementioned Parallels (et al) would also work well, with the bonus of the old software being easier to find for sale on the used market. Same warning about security applies 1000x though.

3. Wait for the *inevitable* emulators/remakes/“retro classics”/miniClassicMac game machine. :)
    edited June 2019 razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Wouldn't the "right thing to do" be to update the apps so they are 64-bit compatible rather than simple stopping their sale?  It's a shame they didn't see the writing on the wall years ago and come up with a migration strategy.  
    Every developer for the Mac has known this day was coming for more than 10 years, and Apple has been telling them every year since, getting much more strident/urgent about it for at least the past three years. Developers that didn’t pay attention to this either have zero intention of updating their stuff, or are morons for waiting until the last moment to look into it.

You can either a) keep your machine at Mojave for roughly three more years (that’s when the security updates end) while you search for supported alternatives to the apps you need, or b) freeze this older machine at Mojave and take it off the internet in three years, getting a newer machine to run newer OS versions while you search for supported alternatives to the apps you need, c) take the machine offline when the time comes and keep using the software till the machine dies, or d) accept that you should have either updated along with the software/developer or finally accept that this software will no longer run safely soon and move on.

This happened with your Apple II software and you don’t miss it, it happened with your System 6-9 software and you survived, it happened with your 68xxx and PowerPC software and you managed just fine. The same thing will happen again (and again) every decade or thereabouts. Yes, it hurts to lose some well-loved software (I’m still mourning Bookwork on iOS, and will soon lose Aperture), but in most cases you move on, or keep an offline machine around specifically to run irreplaceable old software and just coax it along as long as you can.
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    chasm said:
    Wouldn't the "right thing to do" be to update the apps so they are 64-bit compatible rather than simple stopping their sale?  It's a shame they didn't see the writing on the wall years ago and come up with a migration strategy.  
    Every developer for the Mac has known this day was coming for more than 10 years, and Apple has been telling them every year since, getting much more strident/urgent about it for at least the past three years. Developers that didn’t pay attention to this either have zero intention of updating their stuff, or are morons for waiting until the last moment to look into it.
    Maybe they were waiting for 64-bit Carbon. :wink: 
    jeffharrisrazorpitJWSCargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Booting from external drives on a Mac is trivial.  Yeah, it's a pain but just clone your pre-upgrade drive to an external SSD and go on.  I had to do that so I can use Aperture for a few parts of my workflow that I've yet to find anything better for (geotagging pics is one - although I only have one camera that doesn't have GPS now and may replace it soon).
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    mystigo said:
    Not a game per se, but by far the most painful thing for me is losing Photoshop 5.5 which was the last version you could buy a perpetual license for (please correct me if I am wrong about that). If I upgrade to Catalina, I would need to subscribe, and the cost to do so is beyond prohibitive for what I use it for.
    i am trying to figure out in what world $10/mo is too much for photoshop and lightroom? granted it requires a one year commitment but $120/yr is less than apple music family plan so... 
    Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    ajmas said:
    razorpit said:
    Isn't this just a matter of re-compiling to 64-bit?
    Not always. For example, if there were any assumptions made about the size of an integer, for example that can break things or an assumption was made on how an external function does things, but that function has its own bugs revealed with the change in bitness.

Some other are indicated here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9728250/migrating-from-32-to-64-bit-releases
    While there could be issues I thought Xcode highlighted them for you. After I wrote that I started thinking about deprecated calls. I bet that would be the biggest issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Two bits of mistaken info in earlier posts:

1. QuickTime is not being “pulled out” of Catalina in any way, shape, or form. The **program** QuickTime 7 Pro will no longer function, and thus some of the editing functionality of that app (long since available in other, cheaper apps) will not be available (compared to the present QuickTime X). QuickTime remains the multimedia engine of macOS and iOS et al.

2. In point of fact, Photoshop CS3 still works in macOS Mojave. Yes, all the way back that far. A number of contemporaneous plug-ins from that era have of course broken, and you can’t easily re-install it due to the installer app itself being broken (plus the whole Java thing), but it functions to this day. As does iPhoto and Aperture, though I am sure all of them will cease functioning in Catalina (and I moved on from all of them quite some time ago).
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 32
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Apple should provide a 32-bit VM (virtual machine) for macOS Catalina.
    socaltrojandude