Beddit offers peek at sleep tracking features in app beta program

Posted:
in iOS
Beddit, the Apple-owned sleep-tracking firm, has launched a customer beta program enabling users of the sleep monitor to try out new features and to have their say about the product's companion app, which could help shape future Beddit features and those of Apple's own offerings.

The Beddit Beta Program, launched on Monday, is described as a way to "test new features and contribute to making the product even better." Beta program participants will gain access to new versions of the Beddit app before updates are released to the general public.

Those electing to take part will share feedback with Apple covering areas like app use, app settings, sleep results, and diagnostic information, as well as occasional surveys. An informed consent form is required to be completed for entry, which also explains more about how the data is shared with Apple.

The voluntary program can be withdrawn from at any time, with users able to change back to the public version of the Beddit app from the App Store. Previous participants are also able to rejoin the program while it is ongoing.

The enrollment page for the program advises participants must be in the United States and only use the product in that country, are aged between 22 and 75 years old, own a Beddit Sleep Monitor model 3.5, and agree to receive email communications from Apple about the scheme.

Apple acquired Beddit in 2017, with the latest model, the Beddit Sleep Monitor 3.5, launched in December 2018. The monitor consists of a long pad that stretches across a mattress, is powered by a USB cable, and synchronizes with HealthKit. Apple sells the Beddit Sleep Monitor 3.5 for $149.95.

Outside of Beddit, Apple offers limited sleep tracking through Bedtime, a feature of the iOS Clock app that tracks how long users sleep for, with data reported to HealthKit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    I am surprised Beddit is still operating as a separate brand/product. I've been using AutoSleep for some time, and am pretty impressed with the metrics, analysis, and reporting. I'd imagine watchOS will incorporate very similar soon, which makes Beddit's beta perplexing. Maybe next year.
    caladanianforgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    The bit you lie on is only 2 mm thick, much less than a pea, and thus also suitable for princesses.
    AppleExposedGeorgeBMacforgot username
  • Reply 3 of 8
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I am surprised Beddit is still operating as a separate brand/product. I've been using AutoSleep for some time, and am pretty impressed with the metrics, analysis, and reporting. I'd imagine watchOS will incorporate very similar soon, which makes Beddit's beta perplexing. Maybe next year.
    I imagine it’s a long term project for Apple and they are doing a lot more with it than what we know of at the moment. Give it another year or so and I’m willing to bet the tech will be incorporated with the Apple Watch for sure. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I think that Apple's viewing any device that requires you to wear the watch at night opens up uncomfortable questions about charging that Apple kinda doesn't want to open up. Many people aren't comfortable with wearing a watch to bed. Luckily, I'm not one of them, but my wife is.
    docno42forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    MorkMork Posts: 22member
    I think that Apple's viewing any device that requires you to wear the watch at night opens up uncomfortable questions about charging that Apple kinda doesn't want to open up. Many people aren't comfortable with wearing a watch to bed. Luckily, I'm not one of them, but my wife is.
    Yes, wear it at night to see how much sleep I’m missing then wear it during the day to work, now if Apple would make the battery last a few days or more this would be fine. The reason my wife doesn’t wear her’s anymore. Forget to charge and you’re wearing a blank screen, I remember when phone companies including Apple carried on about ‘we have the thinnest phone’ most people cared about battery life, hence the cases with extra power. 
    See the size of some ‘fashion’ watches the size of a golf ball on someone’s wrist and then see how to pack a bigger battery into a fashionable device.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yeah, while I would like more battery life, it hasn't been a huge issue in the year and some change I've owned my watch.  I wear it to bed, and take it off to charge when my alarm goes off, and put it back on after showering and dressing.  Even my "heavy" usage seldom results in the charge going below about 30%, so it's usually fully charged when I put it back on.
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    There is SO much about sleep that we don't know about -- and a lot of that is just what it does physiologically.  But, one thing that we do know is that it is as necessary for life as food, water and air.  And even less or lower quality sleep results in a multitude of problems like weight gain and hypertension.   It is even associated with exasperations of BiPolar disorder.

I think Apple could contribute are great to a greater understanding of this physiologically necessary function.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Offering sleep tracking doesn’t mean the AW as a generalist device requires one to wear it at night, since such tracking is optional. So it would only be for the days when tracking is desired. 

Myself, it’s not an issue. The AW4 gets great battery, especially when the screen is disabled during sleeping via theater mode. Two days easy...but really after waking up I just charge while getting ready in the morning. 
    watto_cobra