Nintendo opens 'Dr. Mario World' preorders ahead of July 10 launch

Posted:
in iOS edited June 2019
Nintendo on Monday announced a launch date and opened App Store preorders for the hotly anticipated "Dr. Mario World," an iOS version of the classic "Dr. Mario" match-three puzzle game.

Announced in a post to Nintendo's official Twitter account, Dr. Mario World will hit iOS devices for pill and virus matching fun on July 10. The company is allowing fans to "pre-register," or preorder, the title via the App Store.

In the Tetris-inspired game, players are tasked with clearing a board of colored viruses using like-colored capsules. Matching three blocks wipes those pieces off the grid, while special items like Koopa shells and bombs do more damage.

At launch, the game will consist of stages multiple stages spread across five worlds. Nintendo says it plans to add additional worlds and surprises in future updates.

Unveiled in January, "Dr. Mario World" will be marketed as a freemium game with optional in-app purchases. Diamonds are Nintendo's in-game currency of choice and can be used to buy special items, continue unsolved stages or add "hearts," which are required to start new levels. Like other popular freemium games, hearts regenerate over time and can be sent to other players over social media networks Line and Facebook.

Nintendo also mentions a versus mode for one-on-one gameplay, though it is not clear if the feature will be supported as part of the app or through social network integration.

For more information and release details, visit Nintendo's dedicated Dr. Mario World website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Really hate that Nintendo’s going freemium. Dilutes the experience. Dilutes the brand. Makes it not kid friendly.  Just let us pay for the app. 
    edited June 2019 n2itivguyjbdragonlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    schlack said:
    Really hate that Nintendo’s going freemium. Dilutes the experience. Dilutes the brand. Makes it not kid friendly.  Just let us pay for the app. 
    Nintendo already stated their preference was for 1x pay apps.  Unfortunately, freemium is the method that garnered the most money.  They were disappointed with the revenue from their 1x pay app and got pleasing returns from their freemium offerings.  Nintendo is a bidness.  They are going to cater to the demographic that spends the most money.  As long as that is the freemium crowd, Nintendo is going to release freemium games.  

They aren't going to dilute their brand.  Nintendo fans are some of the most diehard fans in gaming.  Their fans are going to continue to buy all of Nintendo's console IP.  Freemium on mobile isn't going to make that crowd love Nintendo any less.  The vocal minority clamoring for 1x pay... yeah, they don't really matter that much because they don't spend as much and as often as the freemium crowd.  I say that being firmly in that minority.
    docno42fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 8
    schlack said:
    Nintendo already stated their preference was for 1x pay apps.  Unfortunately, freemium is the method that garnered the most money.  They were disappointed with the revenue from their 1x pay app and got pleasing returns from their freemium offerings.  Nintendo is a bidness.  They are going to cater to the demographic that spends the most money.  As long as that is the freemium crowd, Nintendo is going to release freemium games.  

They aren't going to dilute their brand.  Nintendo fans are some of the most diehard fans in gaming.  Their fans are going to continue to buy all of Nintendo's console IP.  Freemium on mobile isn't going to make that crowd love Nintendo any less.  The vocal minority clamoring for 1x pay... yeah, they don't really matter that much because they don't spend as much and as often as the freemium crowd.  I say that being firmly in that minority.

I agree. They did really well with Super Mario Run by pricing it at $9.99. Unfortunately, it made a fraction of the amount a game like Fortnite made. I don't blame Nintendo for jumping onto the freemium bandwagon.

For better or worse, it is the most popular format by far.

I wonder what kind of a difference a subscription model like Apple Arcade will make.

edited June 2019
  • Reply 4 of 8
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    Shame on Nintendo. Not family- nor kid-friendly. Gacha-mechanic should be banned. I don’t have a problem with F2P; P2W/P2A (Pay to Advance), on the other hand, I do. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    schlack said:

I agree. They did really well with Super Mario Run by pricing it at $9.99. Unfortunately, it made a fraction of the amount a game like Fortnite made. I don't blame Nintendo for jumping onto the freemium bandwagon.

I wonder what kind of a difference a subscription model like Apple Arcade will make.

Thing is, you don't have to compare Super Mario Run to Fortnite. Just compare Nintendo games to Nintendo games.  Nintendo said they were disappointed with their revenue from Super Mario Run, but happy with the revenue from their freemium games Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing:Pocket Camp.   Super Mario Run got a lot of downloads, but that didn't translate to people spending $10 to open the full game.  Their freemium games kept paying and paying and paying and... yep, still paying.

I'm sure Nintendo is going to put a game or two in Apple Arcade.  They'll compare the revenue gained through that manner against revenue gained through the freemium model.  It's what any good business would do.  Whatever brings in the most money is what they'll develop.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    schlack said:
    Ya, I generally just stay away from fremium stuff. I can't stand it. It's all about trying to get you to pay again and again to move forward. I'd rather just buy the game outright. I don't mind spending more money. I'm going to to play this spending money forever on a game scam. I'm sure these company's do love that. I have less and less to download because of this, but oh well. I'll continue to play my older games.

I also don't understand Pre-Orders for a Digital game? They aren't going to run out of games to buy. Seems pretty dumb to me. I'd rather hear the reviews of a game first then buy it. On this case, not buy it. I did buy Super Mario Run.
    edited June 2019 lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is this another one that needs to be online to play?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    schlack said:

Thing is, you don't have to compare Super Mario Run to Fortnite. Just compare Nintendo games to Nintendo games.  Nintendo said they were disappointed with their revenue from Super Mario Run, but happy with the revenue from their freemium games Fire Emblem Heroes and Animal Crossing:Pocket Camp.   Super Mario Run got a lot of downloads, but that didn't translate to people spending $10 to open the full game.  Their freemium games kept paying and paying and paying and... yep, still paying.

I'm sure Nintendo is going to put a game or two in Apple Arcade.  They'll compare the revenue gained through that manner against revenue gained through the freemium model.  It's what any good business would do.  Whatever brings in the most money is what they'll develop.

Because Nintendo released it on Android and was shocked at how cheap those guys are. They weren't ready for that. Apple devices on the other hand did good.

Apple Arcade games from Nintendo would be good as it cuts out the cheapskates and removes IAP. Apple should have made a deal with them for launch.