Case manufacturer Olixar betting on three lenses for most 2019 iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone
Accessory producer Olixar has started to produce protectors for the rear camera module of the 2019 iPhone models, with the firm seemingly confident of the size and layout of the square camera bump arriving with the smartphones this fall.

The 2019 iPhones are widely considered in rumors to have an extra camera on the back of the devices, bringing the iPhone XS and Max followups "iPhone XI" and "iPhone XI Max" up to three cameras and the update to the iPhone XR to two cameras. In all cases, the camera bump on the back is thought to be square in shape to accommodate the extra lens on the premium models.

Accessory firm Olixar has taken the step of producing camera protectors for the new square module, which they have provided to retailer Mobile Fun. The protectors all seem to use the same lens configuration as pictured in earlier renders and leaks, such as the so-called case molds, with the extra lens appearing on the right-hand side of the square, in between the heights of the other two on the left.

On the iPhone XR replacement, the flash takes the same position. The flash is located above the extra lens on the "iPhone XI" and "Max" versions.

While accessory producers are able to create products for future iPhone releases ahead of time, in order to capitalize on launch period sales, there is no guarantee that the components pictured will exactly fit what Apple provides. As the production of the accessories can be expensive to prepare, it does demonstrate a high level of confidence on Olixar's part that they went to the effort to create the camera protectors months away from the expected launch event.

The Olixar camera protectors, made from tempered glass, are being offered on pre-order for $10.99 for a twin-pack.

The 2019 iPhones are expected to consist of two OLED models and one LCD, with the OLED versions having a super wide angle lens to go alongside the existing wide angle and telephoto cameras. The cameras for the LCD version are thought to be an upgrade to a wide-angle and a telephoto version, bringing it in line with the existing iPhone XS and XS Max.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I understood that Apple shared design specs with case manufacturers so the cases would be available on launch day. That would imply these aren’t as speculative as you suggest. OTOH the designs would be shared under strict NDA agreements, which these leaks would violate.
    caladanianchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yeah, I think I'll pass on an ugly black square of glass that supposedly protects the new iPhone lenses.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 3 of 9
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    The more I think of these the stranger they get. I mean the camera lenses are protected with Sapphire. They are the most resilient part of the phone. Before I got a camera protector I'd get a case. And look at that, the thickness of the case protects the lenses. 
    racerhomie3caladanianrandominternetperson
  • Reply 4 of 9
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    Just protecting the camera seems a bit much, and along with that i wonder if cases can fit with that camera case on?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Yeah, I think I'll pass on an ugly black square of glass that supposedly protects the new iPhone lenses.
    I think I’ll not give a crap about camera bumps as long as my pictures and videos look great. Most the complainers don’t use their phones naked anyway. I do, unless at the gym or something, and still don’t care.  
  • Reply 6 of 9
    caladaniancaladanian Posts: 380member
    I’ll get a black phone ...to camouflage this big triple-eyed square which is ugly indeed. Or maybe my first case ever? Hehe

i would prefer some kind of bayonet to mount 3rd party lenses like momentlenses, but this won’t happen.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I think I’ll not give a crap about camera bumps as long as my pictures and videos look great. Most the complainers don’t use their phones naked anyway. I do, unless at the gym or something, and still don’t care.  
    I'm not complaining about the camera bump.  DAalseth said it better than I did: why buy a third party thing to protect something that doesn't need protecting (and looks worse)?   Assuming these pictures are accurate, the cluster of lenses looks fine on the basic phone, but looks terrible when you highlight it with a black square.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 8 of 9
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    DAalseth said:
    The more I think of these the stranger they get. I mean the camera lenses are protected with Sapphire. They are the most resilient part of the phone. Before I got a camera protector I'd get a case. And look at that, the thickness of the case protects the lenses. 
    First thing I broke on my first iPhone X was the camera cover glass. Luckily the cracks didn’t go across the actual lenses, so I waited until I broke the back (which I then covered with a skin) and then finally the front before getting a replacement via AppleCare. 

Now rocking my first iPhone case ever. :/
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    I hope they can do something about the aesthetics of these camera arrays. They look like a massive hairy mole or cancerous tumor growing on the back of the phone. It used to be that adding a case to an iPhone entailed a certain amount of regret because you knew you were covering up what was an intrinsically beautiful product. With these new backside growths you WANT to cover up that 'sheet' so you don't have to look at it anymore. Enough already, put some damn clothes on that pig.
    chemengin1