Microsoft brings native version of To-Do to macOS

Posted:
in Mac Software
Microsoft has released a native Mac version of To-Do, its day planner and checklist app ultimately intended to replace Wunderlist.

Microsoft To-Do macOS

The focus of the app is "My Day," a tab merging scheduled and suggested tasks. Users can set one-off or recurring due dates and reminders, and attach notes and files to any task, though the latter are capped at 25 megabytes.

Custom lists can be color-coded and/or shared with others. Perhaps the most critical feature of the app is sync with Outlook, the email and organizer software included with Microsoft Office.

Until today the only Mac option for To-Do was a Web client. Native apps were already available for iOS, Windows, and Android.

Microsoft first launched To-Do in April 2017, almost two years after it bought out Wunderlist developer 6Wunderkinder. At the time it said it wouldn't phase out Wunderlist until To-Do had absorbed "the best" features, but as of June 2019 the former is not only still functioning, but one of the top-rated Productivity titles on the App Store.

To-Do for Mac is a free download, and runs on macOS 10.13 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    It's nice that it provides a way to import your Wunderlist tasks and lists but there appear to be some major gaps in functionality compared to Wunderlist. Notably, it doesn't show an icon badge for the number of open tasks and it doesn't integrate scheduled tasks into the native Mac calendar if you're not using Outlook. Am I missing something?
    ivanh
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I like Microsoft's sensible attitude these days.  Since the sweat-ball left it's been a great company to deal with as a Mac user.  MS Remote Desktop for macOS is superb.  I use Windows 10 every day now, I never used any previous iteration unless I really, really had to!
    edited June 2019 chasm
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    MacPro said:
    I like Microsoft's sensible attitude these days.  Since the sweat-ball left it's been a great company to deal with as a Mac user.  MS Remote Desktop for macOS is superb.  I use Windows 10 every day now, I never used any previous iteration unless I really, really had to!
    Yeah, MS Remote Desktop v10.x (using RDP) works extremely well from both  macOS and iOS. Heck, RDP access to a Windows 10 Pro or server machine even works very well from Linux and Raspberry Pi clients using xrdp and remmina. 

I played around with the To-Do app from Microsoft but found it too lacking compared to Wunderlist. The lack of iCloud integration in To-Do is a show stopper. Uninstalled.

I don't know why I can't bring myself to like Apple's Reminders app but it just leaves me cold. I feel like Apple is sandbagging it with the Reminders app. Why does it not work better with Apple's Calendar app? Why doesn't it have capabilities like grabbing your travel itineraries from Apple's Mail app? How about automated reminders for bill and subscription payments and subscriptions paid out through iTunes, your Apple credit card, and Apple Pay?  Apple could do so much more with the Reminders app but it remains in a barely functional, larval form with a primitive user interface and user interaction model.
    edited June 2019 steveau
  • Reply 4 of 4
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Hey thanks, MS, but ... Notes and/or Reminders* handles my simple to-do list needs just fine, and syncs via iCloud. *Reminders looks to be more of a to-do app in iOS 13/macOS Catalina than it is now, but it is adequate for most people as it is today.