'Find My Friends' helps save teenager trapped under car

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Apple's "Find My Friends" app and accompanying location service helped a mother locate her missing daughter who was left trapped after a dangerous car crash.

Find My Friends app
Find My Friends app

Macy Smith, 17, was driving when a wet road caused her to hydroplane off the road on Pilot Mountain in Mount Airy, N.C. After flipping over and rolling three times down a 25-foot embankment, the car finally came to a stop, with Smith still inside.

Catrina Alexander, Smith's mother, called and texted but failed to reach her daughter. With Smith gone well past curfew, Alexander decided to turn to Apple's Find My Friends app. The pair had agreed to set up the feature, which shares GPS locations between device owners, last year.

Using the app, Alexander saw that Smith was in the same location for far too long.

"The lack of response was out of character for her," Catrina said in an interview with WFMY News.

Macy Smith's car after accident
Macy Smith's car after accident

Alexander headed out to the location to find Smith pinned under her vehicle, unable to escape. She quickly called 911 and emergency services arrived to remove her daughter from the car and rush her to the hospital.

"I can't explain watching the GPS on my phone with my dot for my phone getting close to hers and then suddenly seeing the tire tracks," Alexander said.

Luckily, Smith emerged mostly unscathed. She won't have feeling in her left arm for a bit, but is otherwise in tact.

"I just hope that all parents and teenagers will encourage their families to get this app," Macy preached.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    I've never thought of "Find My Friends" used in this way, but very glad Macy was okay and her mom knew how to find her! Great suggestion for parents and teens everywhere.
    lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 9
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    It’s really awesome to see this feature being used for good. But I have a bad feeling this is used by abusive households more often.
    gordoncy
  • Reply 3 of 9
    colinngcolinng Posts: 116member
    @Racerhomie3, you can just turn it off on your device (if you're in an abusive household). 
    racerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alexonlinealexonline Posts: 241member
    colinng said:
    @Racerhomie3, you can just turn it off on your device (if you're in an abusive household). 
    The abuser probably wouldn't take too kindly to having his or her source of location control taken away by the action of the abused turning off the Find my Friends feature, sadly, and this would probably lead to more abuse. 

Someone in the situation of being abused needs the help of police or other family services to get out of an abusive household. 
    space2001steveauwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    colinng said:
    Maybe in America, but in many countries in the world where women are legally treated as property the wife(s) would not be allowed to turn this off without the penalty of divorce. In those countries it probably stands for "Find My Females." 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 6 of 9
    NotsofastNotsofast Posts: 450member
    colinng said:
    Maybe in America, but in many countries in the world where women are legally treated as property the wife(s) would not be allowed to turn this off without the penalty of divorce. In those countries it probably stands for "Find My Females." 
    If someone is unfortunately in such a situation, there are already many apps, etc., where someone can track a phone or other device.
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 9
    This is a fine idea, for sure. But how is it any different than using Find My iPhone? 

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out: it’s for folks who’s devices aren’t connected to your Apple ID. 
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    My wife and I love FMF. We do have married friends and the wife can't bring herself to use it because of a previous abusive ex-husband who put a GPS tracker on her car!!! The guy is still a complete psycho to this day. Like all technology, it can be used for good and evil. 
    Yes, agreed, but do you think Apple should be selling software into countries where it's perfectly legal to do things with that software that would be illegal and unconstitutional in America? You have to think globally, not just what's good for your country.