Apple has expanded authorized repair services to Best Buy

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2019
Apple has announced that nearly 1,000 Best Buy stores are now Apple-authorized service centers, giving customers more locations for repair for the Mac, iPad and iPhone.

Apple repairs at Best Buy

"At Apple, we're dedicated to providing the best customer service in the world. If a customer ever needs to repair their products, we want them to feel confident those repairs are done safely and correctly," said Tara Bunch, Apple's vice president of AppleCare. "We're always looking at how we can reliably expand our network of trained technicians and we're excited to partner with every Best Buy store so it's even easier for our customers to find an authorized repair location near them."

Apple says that in addition to Apple Retail, there are over 1,800 third-party Apple-authorized service providers in the United States alone. The company also notes the number of service centers has tripled over the past three years.

"We love being there for our customers no matter what their Apple need is, from helping them choose the right device, to offering AppleCare protection and now helping fix their devices," said Best Buy's Trish Walker, president of Services. "We've always enjoyed a great partnership with Apple and we're thrilled that, together, we can better serve our customers."

With the addition of Best Buy, Apple says that 8 out of 10 Apple customers in the U.S. will be within 20 minutes of an authorized service provider.

The move may be one to ease critics of Apple's repair policies and venues. Apple has continued to campaign against right to repair legislation, previously using its own lobbyists in different states before relying more on CompTIA. CompTIA is a lobbying organization that is funded by Apple, as well as Microsoft, Samsung, and other tech firms.

More and more states have introduced this right to repair legislation, hitting 17 states as of January 2018.

Despite a hard stance against allowing consumers to conduct their own repairs, Apple in recent months has loosened some of the stringent guidelines around authorized fixes. In March, Apple updated its service policy to allow repairs on iPhones that contain third-party battery replacements. Previously, if an iPhone battery was replaced by a non-Apple authorized service technician, Apple could refuse to repair it.

Apple appears to me considering a new "Apple Genuine Parts Repair" program, which may put Apple service materials in the hands of some companies with fewer restrictions than current service providers may be under. Access to repair materials is a key request of right to repair advocates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    Will AppleCare be covered at Best Buy?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    "Anti repair policies" or something like that is a phrase iKnockoff Knights are now pedaling.

I just don't see it. I've walked into Apple Stores with a broken screen and walked out with a refurbished model like new. No questions asked.
    Not everyone has the same experience but still, never seen such great customer support in my life.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 8
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    "Anti repair policies" or something like that is a phrase iKnockoff Knights are now pedaling.

I just don't see it. I've walked into Apple Stores with a broken screen and walked out with a refurbished model like new. No questions asked.
    Not everyone has the same experience but still, never seen such great customer support in my life.
    I think “Anti repair policies” refers more to Apple’s stance against the right to repair bills. I wonder if they’re doing this solely out of desire to increase customer’s access to repair services or to try and have a better argument against the bills.

Regardless of their motives this is a good move by Apple. As the article states, it greatly increases the availability of repair services for people. If I lived 2 hours away from an Apple store, it’s definitely something that would weigh in my purchase decision. Getting stuff fixed is enough of a pain. If it takes half you half the day it becomes onerous.
    airnerd
  • Reply 4 of 8
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    MplsP said:

I think “Anti repair policies” refers more to Apple’s stance against the right to repair bills. I wonder if they’re doing this solely out of desire to increase customer’s access to repair services or to try and have a better argument against the bills.

Regardless of their motives this is a good move by Apple. As the article states, it greatly increases the availability of repair services for people. If I lived 2 hours away from an Apple store, it’s definitely something that would weigh in my purchase decision. Getting stuff fixed is enough of a pain. If it takes half you half the day it becomes onerous.

I think you're right but the problem is Apple is held to a different standard. Recently I've heard complaints about voided warranties when Apple follows a standard policy that 99% of companies follow.

I agree allowing Best Buy to repair Apple products is good but hopefully Apple rolled more into the deal like increased in-store space.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Note that Best Buy WILL NOT be able to replace a broken (beyond repair) iDevice. I took my waterlogged iPhone in for an AppleCare+ replacement and they quoted me a 14 day turnaround for Apple to receive the device, evaluate it, and decide whether to repair or replace. I scheduled the soonest Genius Bar appointment I could find, and then bought a cheapie Android phone to hold me over the 3 days until I could get in. Irritating at best.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    As Best Buy is an authorized repair facility, I'd say Apple Care will apply the same as at an Apple Store, for the most part. Any thing in question would probably have Best Buy contacting Apple as how to proceed.

That said – not only no, but fuck no. I have the luxury of have a few Apple stores near me, and an independent (non-chain) authorized repair site a short drive away. I won't be using Best Buy until hell has reached absolute zero. 

It is a good thing, maybe, for people who can't get to a proper Apple Store because of time/distance. My experiences with Best Buy are not good, and I'm reluctant to even buy from them. But occasionally then have a sale (and even have the product for sale) at a price I can't pass up or match somewhere else.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    If their Apple techs are half as unethical and incompetent as their Geek Squad, this will be a crime against consumers. People don’t call it Worst Buy without cause. But hey, maybe this will force their “techs” to actually be trained and even ... gasp! ... learn about the Apple products they sell!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    Yeah, this is a non-starter for me.  I'll still wait in the ungodly line at the Apple store (despite not once going there without an "appointment") before I set foot in a Best Buy let alone hand over any of my electronic devices to them.  It's no secret that as soon as they have your device they scan each and every aspect of it to make sure there is nothing there they want to peruse at best or alert law enforcement at worst.  "We have photos of a building here, better alert authorities that this might be a terror plot!" 

How that place is still in business is beyond me.