Samsung exec says Galaxy Fold finally 'ready to hit the market'

Posted:
in General Discussion
Originally intended to launch in April, the Galaxy Fold is finally on the verge of reaching the public, a Samsung executive said.

Samsung Galaxy Fold

"Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market," Samsung Display Vice President Kim Seong-cheol claimed at an event in Seoul earlier this week, according to The Korea Herald. The company has yet to announce a formal release date, despite having long promised news "in the coming weeks."

The Fold is not only Samsung's first commercial foldable device but the first from a major smartphone vendor. While usable with a 4.6-inch exterior display, it unfolds to reveal a 7.3-inch screen, not much smaller than the 7.9-inch iPad mini -- albeit at a cost of $1,980.

The company was forced to scrap the April premiere after reviewers began breaking the interior display with little effort, usually along the hinge. Since then it has been working to improve durability, including sealing against debris.

Some reviewers accidentally peeled away a critical layer, thinking it was a screen protector. Shipping Folds should have clear warnings.

Apple has been exploring the concept of its own foldable devices, but there's no sign of them shipping anytime soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So Apple gets a media storm, memes, countless hate videos for less than 1% bent iPhones while Samsung gets away with 100% defected bent phones that break?
    mark fearinggenovelleStrangeDaysn2itivguyleavingthebigglkruppPeterBloodmacseekerRobPalmer9ols
  • Reply 2 of 79
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    damn... I'm getting my popcorn ready for this upcoming fiasco.

Obvious obligatory remark: Had Apple been the one to introduce this disaster, there would be armies of ambulance-chasing lawyers filing class-action lawsuits, iHaters and trolls demanding Tim Cook's head on a spike, AAPL would crash and the always-tired "Apple is doomed" moniker would be chanting in the streets.... and yet Samsung gets a free pass, and Samdroid fanboys praise Samsung for "daring to be innovative".
    mark fearingAppleExposedgenovelleStrangeDaysn2itivguyravnorodomleavingthebigganantksundaramlkruppPeterBlood
  • Reply 3 of 79
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    There are a lot of things I'd rather have for $1980. That price is obscene.
    mark fearingn2itivguyravnorodomPeterBloodRobPalmer9olsberndogradarthekatjbdragon9secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member

So Apple gets a media storm, memes, countless hate videos for less than 1% bent iPhones while Samsung gets away with 100% defected bent phones that break?

No. In a word.

Samsung didn't ship any and 100% didn't break. Also, if they are near ready to launch it is probably that the fixes were minor. Probably important but minor.

We'll now have to wait for the new official date.

Still a PR disaster but the phone itself might not be as much of a hardware failure as some thought. When it reaches users, we'll know soon enough.
    muthuk_vanalingamshanghaichicaolsberndogboredumb9secondkox2williamhralphie
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Nothing instills consumer confidence quite like the word "most".
    genovellePeterBloodplype11chasmFileMakerFellerradarthekatpscooter63williamhjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 79
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

Samsung didn't ship any and 100% didn't break. Also, if they are near ready to launch it is probably that the fixes were minor. Probably important but minor.

Still a PR disaster but the phone itself might not be as much of a hardware failure as some thought. When it reaches users, we'll know soon enough.
    It's a disaster in every way. But I love that you think it's somehow a good thing that they can't make a decent shipping product. I don't know why Samsung would have a Fanboy - but it's nice to meet you.
    AppleExposedn2itivguymac_dogleavingthebigganantksundaramericthehalfbeeRobPalmer9berndoggilly33radarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

It's a disaster in every way. But I love that you think it's somehow a good thing that they can't make a decent shipping product. I don't know why Samsung would have a Fanboy - but it's nice to meet you.
    Considering you've never even used one, your claim is a bold one.

I prefer to let the device stand or fall on its own merits.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.
    AppleExposedboredumb9secondkox2beowulfschmidtmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 8 of 79
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

100% were defective. No PR disaster.

Meanwhile "Apple failed" for not releasing AirPower.

Try again.
    StrangeDaysn2itivguyanantksundaramericthehalfbeetenchi211radarthekatpscooter63jony0cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 79
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

He's the typical iKnockoff Knight who claims everything Apple does is wrong and everything the knockoffs do is justified.
    PeterBloodralphiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 79
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.

It already fell on its own merits.

He doesn't need to use one to know that and you haven't used one to deny it. I don't have to use a grenade or Note 7 to know that both explode.
    StrangeDaysn2itivguymac_doganantksundaramPeterBloodericthehalfbeeberndoggilly33radarthekatpscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 79

"Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market"

Most? If that is the case then that is a huge fail. People will go out of their way to make then break along the fold. That is human nature I'm afraid.
    Samsung should be very careful here. What little that is left of their reputation may just head down the toilet.
    tmayjbdragoncoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    "Most of the display problems have been ironed out, and the Galaxy Fold is ready to hit the market"

Most? If that is the case then that is a huge fail. People will go out of their way to make then break along the fold. That is human nature I'm afraid.
    Samsung should be very careful here. What little that is left of their reputation may just head down the toilet.
    That caught my eye, too. Samsung is like that underachieving community college student that is just trying to get a (technically) passing grade but has zero ambition to put in the work for an excellent mark.
    edited June 2019 rich gregorymac_doganantksundaramberndogradarthekatpscooter63jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Soli said:

That caught my eye, too. Samsung is like that underachieving community college student that is just trying to get a technically passing grade but has zero ambition to put in the work for an excellent mark.

That part is normal for Samsung. Sammy outdid themselves by attempting to release a product that breaks within a month hoping no one would notice. Had it not been for negative reviews on review units, Sammy would have released millions to the public.

Of course iKnockoff Knights will claim Samsung "cares" about their customers proven by their "bold" move to delay the release to fix problems. Sound familiar? Happened with the exploding Note 7. #BombGate. Sammy didn't give a sh** and even told employees to ignore user complaints until the media got involved. iKnockoff Knights then claimed Samsung "cared" about customers. History repeats.
    tmayradarthekatpscooter63n2itivguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 79
    I thought the Samsung units were free review units.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,310member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.
    Your defense of the yet unreleased Mate X is noted as the subtext of your defense of Samsung's Galaxy Fold.

Sucks that Huawei decided to wait to release their Mate X when they could have pimped Samsung's return to market, given your extensive defense of their "delay".

For the record, the Galaxy Fold was so poorly designed, that people thought they were peeling off a protective cover...and the mechanicals of the hinges were failing virtually overnight.

But true that these were "evaluation" units, not units shipped to customers, as if there is a difference in production.
    edited June 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposedradarthekatpscooter63jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 79
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    My initial reaction to this is wondering when the retraction will be issued. Either that or the exec responsible for the fold is in a corner and either releases the thing at all costs or becomes a corporate pariah.  This opinion is based solely on my imagination without the support of any facts. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 79
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    I wouldn't say they 'got away' with it either. They received a lot of bad press and the words 'debacle' and 'disaster' seem appropriate to describe it. I don't think they technically released it - the units that shipped were limited numbers to reviewers, but the were on the verge of releasing it. Either way, they did not get a free pass. 

I don't think AirPower is a good comparison, and I got the impression more that people were disappointed about AirPower, not that Apple was getting vilified for it. Regardless, unlike Samsung, I think they made the right decision. They couldn't make a quality product and so they simply chose not to release it rather than release an inferior one.

Yeah - for a $2000 phone, the damn well better have fixed all of the problems. especially after the initial release fiasco. As mentioned above, a 1% failure rate is still way too high.
    radarthekatcoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 79
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

They presold them and AT&T just refunded their customers this week. If the break wasn’t so immediate and found by the media reviewing them they were shipping them right to them. The fall out for Apple would have been disastrous without a doubt. Every news station would have been reminding you about it daily and Samsung would have commercials out poking fun by now. 
    AppleExposedRayz2016radarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    They were, but review units are final units, not prototypes. If they hadn’t got such awful public reviews they’d have been the same ones shipped. 
    AppleExposedMplsPradarthekatjbdragoncoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 79

Doesn't change the fact they didn't work.
    The only thing "free" were the reviewers as the quality control department. /s

I don't think we need to repeat the "had Apple" phrase. I mean AirPower got sh** on before it even hit the review stage. Read my reply #13. Samsung will be heralded as some hero for delaying this crap product even when their intentions were clear, to yell "first!".
    StrangeDaysradarthekatwatto_cobra