Samsung exec says Galaxy Fold finally 'ready to hit the market'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 79
    You guys are spending too much time talking about the display and folding issues.

The real problem with the Galaxy Fold is it runs Android. The operating system that's complete and utter garbage on a tablet. So you have a clunky Android phone with a small screen that folds out into a useless Android tablet. You don't get the best of both worlds - you get the worst. A regular large screen Android phone (like the S10+ or Note) is substantially better than the Fold.
    tmayAppleExposedradarthekatpscooter63n2itivguyanantksundarammuthuk_vanalingamcrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 79
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    You guys are spending too much time talking about the display and folding issues.

The real problem with the Galaxy Fold is it runs Android. The operating system that's complete and utter garbage on a tablet. So you have a clunky Android phone with a small screen that folds out into a useless Android tablet. You don't get the best of both worlds - you get the worst. A regular large screen Android phone (like the S10+ or Note) is substantially better than the Fold.

When someone brags about any android device be it a clunky streaming device or knockoff iPad I remind them it runs ANDROID.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 79
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    So Apple gets a media storm, memes, countless hate videos for less than 1% bent iPhones while Samsung gets away with 100% defected bent phones that break?
    That's just showing how unpopular Samsung is, despite all the media love.
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 79
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Nailed it. 
    AppleExposedStrangeDayspscooter63crossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 79
    Great for them and I hope they do well, but for me at $1980 I'd take iPad mini and an iPhone XR with money saved. 
    radarthekatn2itivguycrossladAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 79
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

So Apple gets a media storm, memes, countless hate videos for less than 1% bent iPhones while Samsung gets away with 100% defected bent phones that break?

No. In a word.

Samsung didn't ship any and 100% didn't break. Also, if they are near ready to launch it is probably that the fixes were minor. Probably important but minor.

We'll now have to wait for the new official date.

Still a PR disaster but the phone itself might not be as much of a hardware failure as some thought. When it reaches users, we'll know soon enough.
    It's a disaster in every way. But I love that you think it's somehow a good thing that they can't make a decent shipping product. I don't know why Samsung would have a Fanboy - but it's nice to meet you.
    Considering you've never even used one, your claim is a bold one.

I prefer to let the device stand or fall on its own merits.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.
    Your defense of the yet unreleased Mate X is noted as the subtext of your defense of Samsung's Galaxy Fold.

Sucks that Huawei decided to wait to release their Mate X when they could have pimped Samsung's return to market, given your extensive defense of their "delay".

For the record, the Galaxy Fold was so poorly designed, that people thought they were peeling off a protective cover...and the mechanicals of the hinges were failing virtually overnight.

But true that these were "evaluation" units, not units shipped to customers, as if there is a difference in production.
    Kind of adds weight to those other potential reasons mentioned.

And it wasn't a 'defence'. I put some facts on the table and speculated a bit.
    I got my degree in Mechanical Engineering more than 3 decades ago, and I work in manufacturing everyday, so when you speak wrt manufacturing or design, I roll my eyes.

Really, this would be a good time to just shut the fuck up and stop "speculating" with your PR skillset.
    What are you trying to say?

In the absence of real information all we have left is speculation. Perhaps in your engineering  degree world things are different but out in the real world you don't need an engineering degree to speak on the Mate X delay. Unless of course you have seen Huawei make a specific and unique claim to an engineering design problem (and you haven't).

In the absence of that (and that is the case - there is no such reference) there are many reasons (and not mutually exclusive either) that come into play and they include areas that were not even touched on in the news of the Mate X delay and potentially far removed from manufacturing and/or engineering.

Now, I'm lucky because I get to speak to a lot of people from different technical and non technical fields and at a high level. Being able to draw from a wealth of opinion gives me more than enough confidence to speak on many subjects at this level.

Maybe I should roll my eyes too whenever you talk about anything you don't have a degree in. LOL!
    Can you shed some light on how to frame your comments? What do you do for a living? I’m always happy to give context to my posts and share that I’m a former golden era dot-com’er and now an enterprise contract developer. How about you? What makes you an expert opinion on chinese knockoffs? What context do we put your bold, ultra-confident comments in?
    edited June 2019 tmayAppleExposedroundaboutnowradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 79
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    I’m not sure how Avon B7 was unaware that indeed, dozens if not hundreds of units shipped ... to reviewers. In the US, at least, the majority of them “broke” (had catastrophic failures). Um, that’s sorta the reason the review units were recalled and the preorders cancelled and the official launch delayed, Avon ...
    tmayAppleExposedradarthekatpscooter63n2itivguyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 79
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Also, let me give you a sneak preview of how this will play out: reviewers and/or early adopters will get a device that still has the crease in the middle, and still has a plastic screen (that’s the technology as designed, not a “flaw”), but re-engineered to function properly for at least a few weeks if not a year. All the reviewers will test it for less than a week and declare the problems fixed and the Fold to be the Best Thing Ever, and that Samsung is awesome and Apple is a loser for not having this.

Samsung will more quietly but quickly fix/replace the ones that break after a few weeks/months after the spotlight has moved on to, I don’t know, the Huawei Mate X or whatever the next Shiny Thing is ...
    edited June 2019 FileMakerFellerradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 79
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    "most of the display problems have been IRONED out"...  of the FOLD... LOL, that description is too funny.  Does it have wrinkles to IRON out too ??   :)
    pscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 79
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    tmay said:
    Prediction: there's no f-ing way they magically re-engineered this thing within a couple months. It's still crap, it's still a broken design that they can't make work in the real world, and it will fail hilariously.
    I don't discount that Samsung obtained useful information from the failure; that's a part of the development process, but the fact that the failures occurred so quickly after the release of the initial evaluation units,  defines "rush to market".
    These were not evaluation units! They were review units which are production units. They started taking orders and set a release date. Evaluation units are to refine a product still in development. This was released, just only shipped to the media ahead of shipping to the public. Keep in mind there are embargoes on reviews until the device is officially released. They were ramping up the promotion engine and expecting to prime it with great reviews. Didn’t work out. 
    Soliradarthekatpscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    genovelle said:
    tmay said:
    Prediction: there's no f-ing way they magically re-engineered this thing within a couple months. It's still crap, it's still a broken design that they can't make work in the real world, and it will fail hilariously.
    I don't discount that Samsung obtained useful information from the failure; that's a part of the development process, but the fact that the failures occurred so quickly after the release of the initial evaluation units,  defines "rush to market".
    These were not evaluation units! They were review units which are production units. They started taking orders and set a release date. Evaluation units are to refine a product still in development. This was released, just only shipped to the media ahead of shipping to the public. Keep in mind there are embargoes on reviews until the device is officially released. They were ramping up the promotion engine and expecting to prime it with great reviews. Didn’t work out. 
    Point taken, and I agree with you.

I did mention that they were production units.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 79
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

Samsung didn't ship any and 100% didn't break. Also, if they are near ready to launch it is probably that the fixes were minor. Probably important but minor.

Still a PR disaster but the phone itself might not be as much of a hardware failure as some thought. When it reaches users, we'll know soon enough.
    It's a disaster in every way. But I love that you think it's somehow a good thing that they can't make a decent shipping product. I don't know why Samsung would have a Fanboy - but it's nice to meet you.
    Considering you've never even used one, your claim is a bold one.

I prefer to let the device stand or fall on its own merits.

Maybe I'm old fashioned.
    It did!  It fell squarely on its face!  How do you look in the mirror?  
    pscooter63n2itivguyStrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 79
    chasm said:
    I’m not sure how Avon B7 was unaware that indeed, dozens if not hundreds of units shipped ... to reviewers. In the US, at least, the majority of them “broke” (had catastrophic failures). Um, that’s sorta the reason the review units were recalled and the preorders cancelled and the official launch delayed, Avon ...

It isn't that he is unaware. It's just that he doesn't care.

He's been one of the irritating trolls here. I've put him on my ignore list, but he seems to be walking the line between not enough people ignoring him and a little too many people responding to him, so I see most of his comments quoted by responders.

pscooter63StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 79
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,717member
    avon b7 said:

No. In a word.

Um... yes. 100% of reviewers broke their Folds on accident. There was no one with a perfect device. It was a dismal failure. A flop. 

It wasnt a worthy product. Outside of some significant reworking, the product just isn’t ready. Can’t see some stickers and a fatter form factor being compelling. 

Theyll be forced to modify the hinge to bend the screen in a U shape and not truly fold. Also the layer that many were peeling off because it wasn’t sleek and so easy to tamper with just screams rushed product. You don’t just put a warning sticker on something like that. You go back to the drawing board and redesign so a customer cannot do that. At least not easily. 

Whats scary is that they put this crap out to reviewers. THey intended to sell this! I think they had some channels already set. 

You know samsung tested these internally and found the problems but wanted to push it to get a return on their failed investment. And have customers pay for it. That’s terrible. Probably weren’t expecting reviewers to be so thorough - hoping it would take a month to break instead of a day. 
    edited June 2019 anantksundaramAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 79
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I truly wish someone in charge would get that insufferable shill — I think people know who — out of here. 
    tmaySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 79
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    sflocal said:
    damn... I'm getting my popcorn ready for this upcoming fiasco.

I am lucky i have not been drinking at the moment. I would spray my keyboard and screen for sure, lol
    I do not wish anything bad to Samsung as wee need to see how this will work in real and how many prefer it to phone tablet combo that is much cheaper.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 79
    Good on Samsung!

The road to innovation is not a smooth one.  It's rocky, has cliffs on either side, and is narrow.

or, from T. Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
    who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;
    but who does actually strive to do the deeds;
    who knows great enthusiasms,
    the great devotions;
    who spends himself in a worthy cause;
    who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
    and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,
    so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

muthuk_vanalingamAppleExposed
  • Reply 58 of 79
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,338member
    Good on Samsung!

The road to innovation is not a smooth one.  It's rocky, has cliffs on either side, and is narrow.

or, from T. Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly;
    who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;
    but who does actually strive to do the deeds;
    who knows great enthusiasms,
    the great devotions;
    who spends himself in a worthy cause;
    who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
    and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,
    so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

"“Unfortunately, there seems to be far more opportunity out there than ability.... We should remember that good fortune often happens when opportunity meets with preparation.” 
    ― Thomas A. Edison

or

"
    “The sacrifice of victory occurs years before the war begins. Once the battle starts it is too late.”

The internet is full of quotations for the taking...

Nothing against Samsung, but they got spanked by "move fast and break things".

It broke.

SoliGG1jeffythequickStrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member
    chasm said:
    My point was to highlight and counter the claim that 100% failed.

Here is the quote as is from the poster in question (and in this thread):

"100% were defective. No PR disaster."

Perhaps you were unaware of that claim?

I am perfectly aware that dozens or hundreds of units shipped. That isn't being questioned.

In fact, I stated (again in this thread) that units were shipped worldwide and only a handful had problems. Many of those were due to a communication issue (they tried to peel off the plastic covering thinking it was removeable).

I also provided a link to a major review site that had to return their unit which had had no problems whatsoever. It was functioning as intended.

Here are two more major sites that returned their units undamaged:

https://www.cnet.com/news/galaxy-fold-screens-broke-and-the-internet-is-freaking-out/

It is more than clear that the original claim is false.

However, moving on from that irrefutable conclusion I think it's reasonable to assume that, apart from the big name commentators who did have problems, most simply didn't. The logic being that if they had failed they would have reported on it.

How are you reaching the conclusion of the majority of them broke when we only know of a handful of cases and no one knows how many were shipped in the first place?

Remember though, my comment was countering the claim that the 100% were defective.

edited June 2019
  • Reply 60 of 79
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,683member

This was dealt with at the presentation.

What would you prefer, a single 'small' screen and the need to make it smaller by 'splitting'' it, or the possibility of have the 'split' screens on there own phone sized screens?

That's a complete no brainer.

Forget tablet use. A larger screen is better and moreso if it is flexible (pun intended). Browsing your gallery, photo retouching, text editing, even viewing video and in spite of tje aspect ratio.

Call it a folding phablet if you wish but don't try to label it uniquely as a tablet because it is more than that and I think Apple will apply the exact same approach to what Huawei and Samsung have done when the Apple folding phone finally appears.