The Face of Liberation & 'What took you so long?'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My favorite quotes and pics:

Quote:

In the town of Safwan, Iraqi civilians eagerly greeted the 1st Marine Division.

One little boy, who had chocolate melted all over his face after a soldier gave him some treats from his ration kit, kept pointing at the sky, saying "Ameriki, Ameriki."

Quote:

The townspeople seemed grateful this time.

"No Saddam Hussein! one young man in a headscarf told Gurfein. Bush!"

sorry for this one Powerdoc:

MarvinJames

Comments

• Reply 1 of 105
    Well I guess its pretty clear how that soldier feels.

How honourable.
  • Reply 2 of 105
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

How honourable.

Just as honourable as all the War protestors that say the same thing only directed at Bush and America.

Fellowship
  • Reply 3 of 105
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

How honourable.

• Reply 4 of 105
    He can add Canada to that list.
  • Reply 5 of 105
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Hey, he is actually a soldier participating in this war, specifically in a combat environment. All of a sudden, his opinion isn't worthy by the "you-have-no-right-to-form-an-opinion-on-the-war-unless-you-are-enlisted-and- fighting-in-it-personally" crowd?
  • Reply 6 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

He can add Canada to that list.

Why? We didn't campaign to sabotage the US/UK attempts to form a UN resolution to disarm Iraq. France and Germany fought against deadlines and ultimatums, which were needed. Canada actually tried to get a compromise resolution that still had a deadline. His sign obviously relates to the franco-german attempts to derail US resolutions for action. So, why again should he add Canada to that list?
  • Reply 7 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

Why? We didn't campaign to sabotage the US/UK attempts to form a UN resolution to disarm Iraq. France and Germany fought against deadlines and ultimatums, which were needed. Canada actually tried to get a compromise resolution that still had a deadline. His sign obviously relates to the franco-german attempts to derail US resolutions for action. So, why again should he add Canada to that list?

Canada should not be added.

I actually thought the Canadian idea was pragmatic and geared towards a real solution. I saw no negative vibes in the Canadian proposal at all.

Fellowship
  • Reply 8 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Hey, he is actually a soldier participating in this war, specifically in a combat environment. All of a sudden, his opinion isn't worthy by the "you-have-no-right-to-form-an-opinion-on-the-war-unless-you-are-enlisted-and- fighting-in-it-personally" crowd?

Well said.

That soldier is putting his life on the line. Against a regime that has no problem murdering babies, gassing civilians, raping women and killing entire families in order to oppress it's own people, but if he holds up sign it's somehow dishonorable.
  • Reply 9 of 105
    Quote:

Because the Liberal Government does not support the US, their biggest ally and trading partner. That's why.
  • Reply 10 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Because the Liberal Government does not support the US, their biggest ally and trading partner. That's why.

Well, the guy's sign was pretty obviously pointed at countries that made serious, concerted efforts at hindering US efforts to disarm Iraq. Canada is not one of them. We simply decided not to join the military coalition. I disagree with the the PM on this (as I do on about everything-he is an ass), soldiers sign was obviously not meant for countires that refused to sign up for the military compaign. However, if Chretien continues to allow his idiot MP's to spout off their anti-American comments, without his own comments confirming our relationship to the US, bilateral relations could be seriously damaged. More so than he has allowed then to become already.
  • Reply 11 of 105
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Well said.

That soldier is putting his life on the line. Against a regime that has no problem murdering babies, gassing civilians, raping women and killing entire families in order to oppress it's own people, but if he holds up sign it's somehow dishonorable.

Well, he's supposed to be better than that. He's doing such a great thing there and yet he has to diminish it by holding up a stupid sign like a dumbass at a wrestling event.
  • Reply 12 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Well, he's supposed to be better than that. He's doing such a great thing there and yet he has to diminish it by holding up a stupid sign like a dumbass at a wrestling event.

I agree for once with BR

It was not needed.

Fellowship
  • Reply 13 of 105
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I'm just in shock and awe he censored the sign.
  • Reply 14 of 105
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I'm just in shock and awe he censored the sign.

And he is wearing a mask refusing to identify himself. Opinions from people who won´t show their faces should not be counted.

According to a extremly stupid law here he could get arrested if he is protesting with others and wearing a mask. Sent in the MP´s.
  • Reply 15 of 105
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

"Better than that"?

Would a "no blood for oil" sign have been more acceptable?

I don't think they are coordinating all of these photos to show a continuous flow/story in an immediate environment (I don't think the guy with the sign was thinking, "Hmmm, I don't think this picture is going to match well with the ones they took of those other 2 dudes hugging Iraqis. How's my hair? My hair's OK, right? Damn, it's freakin' hot with this mask on!"). There's probably an a$$load of pictures have been shot with very little context intended to connect them. They are just random shots of stuff that is going on there. Not everybody is going to be on the same exact "wavelength", let along the "appropriate" wavelength. Everybody is up to their own "hijinks". Maybe it also tells you that just being there and fighting there is no big guarantee you have a great grasp over the issues behind the war over anyone else? They are just there to do a job, and virtually anything could be running through their minds at any given moment.
  • Reply 16 of 105
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    There was that incident at the Canadiens-Isles game tonight. The fans all booed when the Star Spangled Banner was played. And the team owner had the nerve to "apologize for anyone who may have been offended", as if someone had made a racy joke. Blah. That's not your gub'ment, though, just your rank-and-file hockey fans. Still pissed about the Avalanche probably.
  • Reply 17 of 105
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

"Better than that"?

Would a "no blood for oil" sign have been more acceptable?

Don't lump me in with the rest of nuts that believe this is all about oil. Of course, that isn't even the point and you damn well know it.

And yes, "better than that." That man is fighting for our country and he deserves our utmost respect for it. However, with that there comes a greater responsibility. He not only represents us in battle, but he also represents us as a whole. Just as soldiers raping and pillaging a countryside would negatively impact the view of the nation sponsoring them, so too does this soldier demonstrating his ignorance by holding up that stupid sign. Yes, he is supposed to be "better than that."
  • Reply 18 of 105
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I think he has every right. Had France simply opposed us, it would be one thing (like Russia and China). They didn't do that. They LOBBIED other nations against one of their "allies". That's patently unacceptable. The foreign minister flew around Africa trying to get countries to vote against the US and UK resolution.

In Germany, it was a more a politcal move. It was also one I viewed as less intense then the Franch effort.

That's not the point, though. What do you think about the liberation of these people? I saw a video where a Marine and an Iraqi civilian were tearing down Saddam's picture. People were literally cheering in the streets. I heard, of course, that this might happen....but I sort of was in shock when I actually saw it.

Edit: The pictures are from a few different sources...they are not necessarily connected.
  • Reply 19 of 105
    Somebody forgot to tell this Iraqi that Bush is a modern day Hitler.

'You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious'

'I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand'

James Meek in Safwan

Saturday March 22, 2003

The Guardian

Quote:

Yesterday afternoon a truck drove down a side road in the Iraqi town of Safwan, laden with rugs and furniture. Booty or precious possessions? In a day of death, joy and looting, it was hard to know.

As the passengers spotted European faces, one boy grinned and put his thumb up. The other nervously waved a white flag. The mixed messages defined the moment: Thank you. We love you. Please don't kill us...

• Reply 20 of 105
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

. The foreign minister flew around Africa trying to get countries to vote against the US and UK resolution.

And US did the same thing promising awards for countries who will vote for her. It's called Diplomatia.