Apple issues battery recall on 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro models

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2020
Apple today announced a voluntary recall of some 15-inch MacBook Pro units that have a battery that may overheat and potentially pose a safety risk, and is asking affected users to stop using the machines if they are impacted.

Apple says that the units were sold primarily between September 2015 and February 2017 and can be identified by their product serial number. The recall does not affect any other 15-inch MacBook Pro units or other Mac notebooks. It appears at present that the recall only applies to the 2015 model year, and how many units are impacted isn't clear at present.

To confirm which model you have, choose About This Mac from the Apple menu in the upper-left corner of your screen. If you have "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)," enter your computer's serial number on the program page to see if it is eligible for a battery replacement.

The support page for the recall has details for product eligibility, and guidance on how to get the battery replaced.

AppleInsider has contacted Apple to see how many units are impacted, and has not as of yet received a response.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jgreg728jgreg728 Posts: 100member
    Link to check eligibility doesn't seem to work.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    jgreg728 said:
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/important-notice-for-batteries-in-certain-macbook-pro-units/

The link on AI is the same as Apple posted on the link above. It doesn't work there either. Likewise, the support links at the bottom of this page also don't show the recall (yet).
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 3 of 17
    techsavytechsavy Posts: 34member
    Link is inactive, apple probably forgot to activate it.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    techsavy said:
    Link is inactive, apple probably forgot to activate it.
    This will be the correct URL, Apple says.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    jgreg728 said:
    I'm wondering if this article (also from other sites) leapfrogged the page's publishing.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    jgreg728 said:
    I'm wondering if this article (also from other sites) leapfrogged the page's publishing.
    Apple posted the notice earlier  It's just the page links don't yet work. 
    https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/06/important-notice-for-batteries-in-certain-macbook-pro-units/

EDIT: also mentioned by another poster above
    edited June 2019 pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 17
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    FYI, the link is working now.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    camccamc Posts: 45member
    ok, mine is eligible. But but... "Service may take 1-2 weeks"????? 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    camc said:
    Will Best Buy do the repair under warranty?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 10 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    camc said:
    That's actually an EXCELLENT question that a few members might be interested in. You should contact Apple and find out. A lot of areas have Best Buys but no Apple Stores within a hundred miles and that sounds like a great option if they do. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Mine qualifies ,only problem is i just paid $326 to have it replaced  three weeks ago.Sigh
  • Reply 12 of 17
    camc said:
    While Best Buy is not an option in Europe, I am just wondering what will they do with a laptop sitting on top of a desk for 1 to 2 weeks. Giving an appointment to the nearest Apple Store for an in-house, same day service seems much more logical to me – and to some extent might be much less expensive from a supply chain point of view.
    Don't forget they are "asking affected users to stop using the machines if they are impacted" – a request that doesn't match the two-week time window from a "Pro" perspective. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Mine qualifies ,only problem is i just paid $326 to have it replaced  three weeks ago.Sigh
    they may refund the cost; that's what they did with the keyboard replacements, IIRC
  • Reply 14 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,625member
    MplsP said:
    they may refund the cost; that's what they did with the keyboard replacements, IIRC
    Yes, they will almost definitely refund the repair cost if applicable. In that case it should be automatic for many people but affected users may have to contact Apple in some cases. When the link goes live it should mention repair refunds.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The page you’re looking for can’t be found.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 16 of 17
    ok, brought it today at the Genius Bar. They explained why the repair takes 1 to 3 weeks:  li-ion batteries are very dangerous. Apple doesn't ship spare batteries to the local stores, and the store won't ship damaged units via air mail. My Mac, like any other in the program, will be collected and shipped via ground logistics – trucks, vans, name it. It will take several days to reach the European service unit, some other time for the repair process to be completed, several days to ship the unit back home. It's simple as that. They offer a replacement unit under an enterprise deal that costs 500 €/year, which I will maybe consider after the transition to the new monster machine that is due to arrive in september.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Took my MacBook Pro into Apple Store last week. It was eligible for the replacement, however the Genius techs run a program to discharge the existing battery to 30%, mine was at 50% as they do not ship to the service centres with batteries with charge level greater than 30%. I had also backed up and erased the SSD prior to going to the store as I wasn’t prepared to leave my device with data on it!