iPad wins again, Google cancels upcoming tablet products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    marsorry said:
    Uhm, this is the opposite of a win!  The secret to great products is great competition - losing an adversary doesn't translate into a great win.  This is a pity and the battle moves squarely to Microsoft and its Surface line - who would have thought?

Apple has competition - they’re known as Windows 2-in-1’s, Windows laptops and to some extent those useless Chromebooks. Apple keeps improving the iPad (and now iPadOS) not because they’re threatened by Android tablets (which have been terrible for years now), but because they want to move into these markets.
    AppleExposedStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 74
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    marsorry said:
    Uhm, this is the opposite of a win!  The secret to great products is great competition - losing an adversary doesn't translate into a great win.  This is a pity and the battle moves squarely to Microsoft and its Surface line - who would have thought?
    Can’t wait for our resident Google spokesperson to explain how this is actually a win for Google and Android.
    LOL.
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3168838/#Comment_3168838

You are certainly a funny but confused guy. Had you not blocked me you would have already seen the reply from me you apparently are now interested in afterall.
    Perhaps someone will come along and quote me so you don't have to continue waiting for something you couldn't otherwise read.

Heh! You’re not always a lost cause. ;~)
    gatorguydedgeckolollivermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 74
    What I’ve seen is that the lack of interest from Android developers to enthusiastically embrace a tablet product has resulted in this sorry mess. But it’s also Google’s fault. Basically, they’ve ignored tablet development. Even though I think it was way back with Sandwich that they first modified the OS for tablets, it always seemed as though it was halfhearted.

as a result, there are “thousands” of tablet apps, gather than almost a million, as in Apple’s App Store. But few major apps were modified for the tablet form, rather, it’s mostly unknown apps from China, with odd games and beauty photo apps.

so we see that even Samsung has trouble selling tablets, though they do sell some. Mostly though, they’re $100, and even less. These are mostly used for watching Tv in China and India. Some make it here.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 74
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    tzeshan said:

cashxx said:
    sflocal said:
    Android is such a steaming pile of horse manure as it is.  It comes to no surprise that Google has abandoned tablets.  They literally have zero clue what to do.
    I had to help one of our users the other day with a new Samsung and not sure how people can use them!  Such a bloated UI and just simply terrible user experience in my view.  I don't get what people see in using them!
    I do -- my friend didn't want to pay the money for an iPad. That's it. So he got what has turned into another drawer-warmer (and not the good kind!)
    What a scrooge! The lease expensive iPad now is $329. 
    Yeah. Admittedly this was prior. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 74
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Google is never going to pull in revenue from home-grown hardware sales that remotely approaches their advertising and services revenue. Their tablet ventures were never even a minor threat to Apple's iPad. Google had to do Android to ensure they would have a smartphone platform that they could control to more broadly disseminate their ads and services. They never had to do a tablet to advance their core capabilities. It was a weak defensive gesture against Apple's early dominance and the excitement the iPad generated. After a few embarrassing whiffs with hardware partners that led nowhere they came to the realization that they can happily ride on Apple's iPad because it has an insurmountable lead in what is now a mature product category with limited growth. They've also got much bigger fish to fry getting AI, AR, machine learning, analytics, and other rapidly emerging technologies baked more deeply into their core set of capabilities and services. Tablets were never an offensive maneuver for Google and playing defense was getting them nowhere and distracting them from what they do best.
    radarthekatFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 74
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    melgross said:
    What I’ve seen is that the lack of interest from Android developers to enthusiastically embrace a tablet product has resulted in this sorry mess. But it’s also Google’s fault. Basically, they’ve ignored tablet development....

But few major apps were modified for the tablet form, rather, it’s mostly unknown apps from China, with odd games and beauty photo apps.

so we see that even Samsung has trouble selling tablets, though they do sell some. Mostly though, they’re $100, and even less.... Some make it here.
    Agree, with one additional observation: in the U.S., amazon fire tablets are "good enough" for lots of price first consumers.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    So how many failed iDevice killers is this now? What are IDC’s projections? Haha
    AppleExposedlolliverFileMakerFelleruraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 74
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    jungmark said:
    So how many failed iDevice killers is this now? What are IDC’s projections? Haha

I'm still waiting for the iPod killer. It was always coming "next year".
    StrangeDayslolliverradarthekatFileMakerFelleruraharachiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 74
    stompy said:
    melgross said:
    What I’ve seen is that the lack of interest from Android developers to enthusiastically embrace a tablet product has resulted in this sorry mess. But it’s also Google’s fault. Basically, they’ve ignored tablet development....

But few major apps were modified for the tablet form, rather, it’s mostly unknown apps from China, with odd games and beauty photo apps.

so we see that even Samsung has trouble selling tablets, though they do sell some. Mostly though, they’re $100, and even less.... Some make it here.
    Agree, with one additional observation: in the U.S., amazon fire tablets are "good enough" for lots of price first consumers.
    Sure, but after a surge when they first came out, sales have been disappointing.
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedradarthekaturaharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    marsorry said:
    Can’t wait for our resident Google spokesperson to explain how this is actually a win for Google and Android.
    LOL.
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3168838/#Comment_3168838

You are certainly a funny but confused guy. Had you not blocked me you would have already seen my post you apparently are now interested in afterall.
    Perhaps someone will come along and quote me so you don't have to continue waiting for something you couldn't otherwise read.

Yes, he didn't realize you already had the talking points on how to deal with this embarrassment but I understand his sentiment.
    AppleExposedlolliverradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 74
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    marsorry said:
    Battle what battle? Hands down Apple iPad any model is far superior to any Surface model. Windows is so 20th century.
    I won't said that is far superior, considering a few years ago the Surface had a higher customer satisfaction compared to iPad,
    https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/jd-power-2017-us-tablet-satisfaction-study

Surface and iPad are excellent devices.  There are cases where a Surface is a better option, while at others iPad does better.  Which one is better depend in the applications and user needs.  
    chasm
  • Reply 32 of 74
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Just my 2¢

I thinking making 5 OSes (iOS, tvOS, macOS, iPadOS, and watchOS), is pretty hard.  I mean I understand they share a "core" but...

I mean it's not just as easy as creating an OS on an image with Chrome...

And not to mention the HARDWARE for 5 OSes to run on...

This is HARD, have your ever said to yourself "The world needs a new OS?" haha
  • Reply 33 of 74
    rezwits said:
    Just my 2¢

I thinking making 5 OSes (iOS, tvOS, macOS, iPadOS, and watchOS), is pretty hard.  I mean I understand they share a "core" but...

I mean it's not just as easy as creating an OS on an image with Chrome...

And not to mention the HARDWARE for 5 OSes to run on...

This is HARD, have your ever said to yourself "The world needs a new OS?" haha

I wondered if iPadOS would be too much of a distraction. Adding another OS seems like a lot of extra work.

Although hypocritically, I'd love to see HomepodOS, CarOS and AirPodOS.
    edited June 2019 mobirdlolliver
  • Reply 34 of 74
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    gatorguy said:
    Good.

Don't try to be all things to everyone
    Yeah, stick with what you’re good at — being all spies to all people! :D

But seriously, I do worry that this move will result in ever-crappier tablet apps from devs — they already don’t make any money on it, and most Android tablet apps are just blown-up phone apps as it is. Of course the Google apps and MS apps will still be very good, as you would expect, but Google’s disinterest in Android tablets — and, it’s starting to seem to me, Android itself — is likely to spread.
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 74
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    cashxx said:
    I don't get what people see in using them!
    Android tablets start at just over $100, that’s what they see in them. They don’t notice that nearly all of them ship with badly-outdated versions of Android, will never get an update, are security/malware nightmares, and each manufacturer’s Android tablet is an almost-completely different experience with terrible bloatware, and — I guarantee — will be in a drawer or the recycle bin in less than two years.

There’s a reason Apple doesn’t go after that sort of customer. I used to suggest that if you absolutely had to get an Android tablet, at least get the Google one for a relatively better experience, but now ... it’s pretty much Surface (nobody IME buys a Surface because it’s a tablet, they buy it as an expensive but very lightweight Windows laptop) or iPad, and I think we all know which one is a better experience.
    lolliverMacPronetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    marsorry said:
    except, what do tablets actually compete with? Arguably, both phones and laptops.

I'm reminded of when some doofus asked Jobs if he was worried about iPhone competing with iPods, and he responded that it was up to Apple to cannibalize its own product.

I guess what I'm saying is, people still talk about tablets as being only for consumption, or poor for productivity. That's iPad's competition.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 74
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    marsorry said:
    You forgot about Samsung?
    rezwits
  • Reply 38 of 74
    chasm said:
    cashxx said:
    I don't get what people see in using them!
    "Android tablets start at just over $100, that’s what they see in them. They don’t notice that nearly all of them ship with badly-outdated versions of Android, will never get an update, are security/malware nightmares, and each manufacturer’s Android tablet is an almost-completely different experience with terrible bloatware, and — I guarantee — will be in a drawer or the recycle bin in less than two years.

There’s a reason Apple doesn’t go after that sort of customer. I used to suggest that if you absolutely had to get an Android tablet, at least get the Google one for a relatively better experience, but now ... it’s pretty much Surface (nobody IME buys a Surface because it’s a tablet, they buy it as an expensive but very lightweight Windows laptop) or iPad, and I think we all know which one is a better experience."

Forum won't allow me to quote you but:

My sister actually bought a few Amazon tablets for 50 bucks each. They were in the trash weeks later. This skews sales data and now "Android" gained 3 tablet users. So some tablets do start below 100 bucks (which only proves your point).

Surface is also a bad idea because it's a Windows device pretending to be an iPad. My mom got one thinking it would be as easy to use and it's  a nightmare. She stopped using it.
    StrangeDayslolliverradarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 74
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This headline is ridiculous. As if Google tablets were ever competition for iPad. Maybe AI could gloat if Microsoft canceled Surface products. But not now.
    bigtds
  • Reply 40 of 74
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    marsorry said:
    Me, actually. I’m also someone who said Microsoft would hit $1T market cap before Google ever did and I was right about that. Btw, Microsoft’s market cap is currently just over $1T. Apple’s is $917B.
    bigtds