Photos of Apple Card showcase design, weight, and packaging

Posted:
in General Discussion
An unnamed source has shared images of their Apple Card used for beta testing, showing off the card's packaging as well as its weight.

Apple Card spotted in wild

Apple Store employees in the U.S. have started to receive their Apple Cards and join in a closed beta test a few months ahead of the cards anticipated release.

In one photo, the Apple Card can be seen lying on a scale. It weighs 0.52oz, or roughly 14.75 grams. This is approximately three times heavier than a standard plastic card, but is notably toward the lighter end of the scale for a metal card.

Image Credit: iMore

The photos also include the packaging that the card is currently shipping in. The front of the packaging is a plain, matte white, with a recessed Apple logo centered. The inside is a rainbow gradient, and features instructions for activating the card via NFC in the packaging itself.

The card looks much like what we've been shown, with a simple Apple logo engraved on the front, and the Goldman Sachs and Master Card logos engraved on the back.

iMore was the original recipient of Fridays photos of the Apple Card. They were provided by An Apple employee who chose to remain anonymous.

Consumers won't have a chance to try out the new Apple Card for a few more months, but it may be worth it for credit users to check it out. Not only does Apple provide an app that tracks your expenses for you, it pays you to use it, as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    I'm curious to know which credit score bureau Apple is gonna check before approving the card. I froze everything after the Equifax hack.
    zeus423
  • Reply 2 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    An unnamed source has shared images of their Apple Card used for beta testing, showing off the card's packaging as well as its weight.
    Looks like the employee’s name is Marisa 😎
  • Reply 3 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Dollars in the detail: banks pan for gold in 'data lakes'

"From sending special offers on restaurants to burger-loving current account holders to selling anonymized credit card records, banks are racing to monetize the huge troves of data they hold...."

Reading this article -- about how banks mine your credit information the same way Google mines your browsing habits perhaps -- provides perhaps one of the best arguments for the Apple Card:   Privacy.

Think about what your credit card knows about you -- which is essentially everything:  Where you live, where you go, what you buy, where you buy it, how much you spend each month, how much you make each month --  THEN it gets to the standard personal stuff:  Name, address, phone #, Social Security #, etc...

And, the banksters are beginning to learn how to use that data for marketing purposes just like Google does.

While I haven't heard any specific promises of privacy on the Apple Card, I would expect that from Apple.  

Here is the link to the article.  It's thought provoking:

lostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 25
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Looks like the employee’s name is Marisa ߘt;/div>
    Nope. The photo used at the top of the article is a stock photo from Apple, using the same sample name as the one shown during the rollout. Someone didn’t watch the keynote.

That said, there is some Apple employee who, if caught, will be in big trouble over this.
    edited June 2019 chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    gutengel said:
    I'm curious to know which credit score bureau Apple is gonna check before approving the card. I froze everything after the Equifax hack.
    My identity was stolen a few years ago and I put a lock with all three bureaus. I have since opened a couple of new credit cards. With Chase, where I have most of my accounts and already hold two cards, approval was instantaneous online. With another bank, it took a few days before someone called me and verified my identity, and it went through.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gutengel said:
    Me, too. I have it all locked down. It's annoying when you ask the financial officer of a company when you're buying a car which one they use and they have no idea. It's also annoying when they don't know about the one-time PIN option for accessing your credit, but that part may simply be a limitation of their SW so I've had to unlock it for a day which is only a very, very small potential risk.
    zeus423
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Phobos7Phobos7 Posts: 63member
    Yeah, it’s a big deal.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Anybody think this white card is going to look dirty and dingy after a relatively short amount of time?
    cornchipchemengin1
  • Reply 9 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Few more months!? They said coming in summer. Sounds like fall. Holding off on Apple purchases until I get my card and the 3% cash back. Had hoped to get a new iPad and pen this summer. 
    netmage
  • Reply 10 of 25
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    mac_128 said:
    Anybody think this white card is going to look dirty and dingy after a relatively short amount of time

Not if you never have to take it out. 
    cornchipSoliJFC_PArandominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    chasm said:
    Looks like the employee’s name is Marisa ߘt;/div>
    Nope. The photo used at the top of the article is a stock photo from Apple, using the same sample name as the one shown during the rollout. Someone didn’t watch the keynote.

That said, there is some Apple employee who, if caught, will be in big trouble over this.
    WHOOOSH!
    cornchipbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 12 of 25
    gutengel said:
    My identity was stolen a few years ago and I put a lock with all three bureaus. I have since opened a couple of new credit cards. With Chase, where I have most of my accounts and already hold two cards, approval was instantaneous online. With another bank, it took a few days before someone called me and verified my identity, and it went through.
    Interesting.  I also have all credit bureaus frozen.  I recently applied for a UBER card, and I got a call asking me to unfreeze one bureau (I forget which one).  After I did that, the card application was approved.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    “ In one photo, the Apple Card can be seen lying on a scale. It weighs 0.52oz, or roughly 14.75 grams. This is approximately three times heavier than a standard plastic card, but is notably toward the lighter end of the scale for a metal card.”

Yep, my Amex is17.3 grams.
    edited June 2019 anantksundaram
  • Reply 14 of 25
    mac_128 said:
    Anybody think this white card is going to look dirty and dingy after a relatively short amount of time
    Not if you never have to take it out. 

Yep. That's my plan. It'll stay in any vault. I'll set it up for Apple Pay for the 2% back for anything that doesn't offer high returns for certain store types.
    netmage
  • Reply 15 of 25
    “ In one photo, the Apple Card can be seen lying on a scale. It weighs 0.52oz, or roughly 14.75 grams. This is approximately three times heavier than a standard plastic card, but is notably toward the lighter end of the scale for a metal card.”

Yep, my Amex is17.3 grams.
    There are cards that are double the weight of the Apple Card at a full 1 ounce, according to this site.

• https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-metal-credit-cards-strongest/

They also measure bend ability so I can’t help but wonder if we’ll see how Apple’s card does there and if they’ll get slammed for making a thinner card than rivals in the metal card category.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I'm sure there'll be some YouTube vids of some loud-mouth guy with a ball cap worn backwards showing a bent Apple Card rocking on a table. Are 'Will it blend' vids still a thing?

It would be disappointing though, if Apple couldn't come up with a Ti alloy that has some flexibility but returns to flat, under reasonable circumstances.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Food for thought. Apple may want to think about the reward system carefully as baby boomers are traveling a lot!  Ask Venice residents who are finding out the hard way.  What card my wife and I use is based on the fly miles they give, simple as that, we never carry a balance so the miles truly are a gift. We annually fly to Europe and back like this and multiple times from Florida to New England all on fly miles.   I've used Amex who are tied to Delta for decades but Delta sucks these days as their seats are now so close flying coach is limited to midgets so we have to upgrade (and we are slim!).  We recently switched to a Chase card (which is very thick and heavy for some reason) that allows any the selection of airline and that is really cool and airlines such as Jet Blue have very comfortable seating.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 18 of 25
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    macgui said:
    I'm sure there'll be some YouTube vids of some loud-mouth guy with a ball cap worn backwards showing a bent Apple Card rocking on a table. Are 'Will it blend' vids still a thing?

It would be disappointing though, if Apple couldn't come up with a Ti alloy that has some flexibility but returns to flat, under reasonable circumstances.
    I’m hoping to see that titanium card hit those VitaMix stainless steel blades!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    WgkruegerWgkrueger Posts: 352member
    Few more months!? They said coming in summer. Sounds like fall. Holding off on Apple purchases until I get my card and the 3% cash back. Had hoped to get a new iPad and pen this summer. 
    My guess is the writers are caught up in the iOS 13 timeline.  iOS 12.4 is in beta right now so we may see the Apple Card when that’s released, at least that’s my hope. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Wgkrueger said:
    My guess is the writers are caught up in the iOS 13 timeline.  iOS 12.4 is in beta right now so we may see the Apple Card when that’s released, at least that’s my hope. 
    Oh Yeh!   3% !!!!  I forgot about that.   I was planning on buying a new iPhone soon -- sometime before September so I can take advantage of the trade-in on my 6+ which becomes worthless in September.  So, yeh, with a major purchase, that extra 2% becomes part of the deal.