Chrome causing Final Cut Pro X to slow down, freeze, and crash

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    On my work Windows machine I finally had to give in and move from Firefox to Chrome as a bunch of internal company tools have a lot of interface anomalies in anything but Chrome (despite our internal devs insisting there's no issue the tools are totally browser agnostic), so I'm stuck with it. Don't love it, but no significant problems for what I do. On my personal Mac stuff, it's Safari all the way, with the main important feature for me being easy icloud sync of bookmarks and currently open windows between all my Macs and iOS devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    Never trust Google. #switchtoduckduckgo
    That's exactly what Apple should be doing instead of accepting money to make Google Search the default search engine in Safari. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 39
    There's a lot of love on the web for Chrome's web dev tools that are built in to the browser. "Experts say" that Safari is nowhere near as good in this regard.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    macxpress said:
    Why people would want to use Chrome is beyond me...Safari is pretty damn good as it is.
    Safari works well but many web developers use proprietary google javascript. Many times I have experienced the situation where safari just doesn't work. Often it is regards to important sites such as hospital appointments, international airline reservations, local government registrations etc. No fault directed at safari just that many IT people are programming specifically targeting chrome for JS interactivity. Let me just say I hate JS even though my main job is working with Node JS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 39
    nottorpnottorp Posts: 10member
    I gave up on Chrome because it was preventing OS X from sleeping. Something about WebRTC having active peer connections.
    I'm not surprised that they'd break something else as well...
    sweetheart777watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Why people would want to use Chrome is beyond me...Safari is pretty damn good as it is.
    Safari works well but many web developers use proprietary google javascript. Many times I have experienced the situation where safari just doesn't work. Often it is regards to important sites such as hospital appointments, international airline reservations, local government registrations etc. No fault directed at safari just that many IT people are programming specifically targeting chrome for JS interactivity. Let me just say I hate JS even though my main job is working with Node JS.
    Yes Safari reports a lot of security vulnerabilities where Chrome “works” silently and “interactively”. They can fool the client showing a “working” Chrome page and for Safari not “working” they can put the blame on Apple’s “closed system” but the result is there: millions of zombie computers enslaved by botnets... 

If your server side is well built you don’t even need Javascript. I know sites which register transactions without using a single line of JS code.
    edited June 2019 p-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Dial it back a bit.
    edited June 2019 gatorguyiamjonowatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    volcan said:
    macxpress said:
    Yeah, I worked with React Native + Babel recently and what a horror show!  Completely unintuitive runtime errors that you'll spend days trying to track down, and end up being caused by the ordering of things in a configuration file (nothing to do with your code).  The complexity of the tech stack for modern JS development is completely ridiculous.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 39
    Chrome is the new Internet Explorer.
    auxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Chrome is the new Internet Explorer.
    I was about to say the same thing.  Google woos web developers with more and more web standards which only exist in Chrome.  Sure they may be open standards which any browser creator can implement (unlike the proprietary extensions Microsoft used to add to IE), but your browser will become the same kitchen sink mess that Chrome is if you do.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    macplusplus said:

If your server side is well built you don’t even need Javascript. I know sites which register transactions without using a single line of JS code.
    it is difficult to do AJAX remote SQL queries without Javascript. Having to refresh the entire page is way old school. I just don't like the canned JS frameworks because they have purposely obfuscated everything. For many years I always wrote my own JS from scratch but the times they are a changing and to remain relevant you need stay up to speed with coding  trends which means frameworks. Loading lots of remote libraries is a pain in the ass when you only need one particular function.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    I was shown by the IT guy at a hospital I worked for how chrome had a server installed on windows machines that ran constantly in the background transmitting data to Google even when Chrome wasn’t running. It interfered with our servers and bogged everything down. so they prohibited it on the computers. It was also a HIPPA violation because the was unknown data being sent from a computer accessing patient data. Remove it and everything worked perfectly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    danvm said:
    Never trust Google. #switchtoduckduckgo
    That's exactly what Apple should be doing instead of accepting money to make Google Search the default search engine in Safari. 
    I do wonder at times what if Apple didn't accept Google as the search default.  I am sure that will disrupt and make a lot of people unhappy even if it's with good intentions.

There's a lot of love on the web for Chrome's web dev tools that are built in to the browser. "Experts say" that Safari is nowhere near as good in this regard.
    Safari really is just a decent browser at best.  It's great for Apple centric things, but otherwise pales in comparison to the rest of the landscape when it comes to broad support for all websites.  From a developer perspective, the webinspector tools and plugins for Chrome completely destroy Safari's tools.  There is no question.  It also boils down to the general consensus.  Webkit vs Chromium, which has the greater reach?
  • Reply 34 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    genovelle said:
    I was shown by the IT guy at a hospital I worked for how chrome had a server installed on windows machines that ran constantly in the background transmitting data to Google even when Chrome wasn’t running. It interfered with our servers and bogged everything down. so they prohibited it on the computers. It was also a HIPPA violation because the was unknown data being sent from a computer accessing patient data. Remove it and everything worked perfectly. 
    That IT guy needs to further his education
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/3407054

• Reply 35 of 39
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

"Administrators must review and accept a BAA before using Google services with PHI. Google offers a BAA covering Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive (including Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Forms), Google Hangouts (chat messaging feature only), Hangouts chat, Hangouts Meet, Google Keep, Google Cloud Search, Google Sites, Google Groups, Google Tasks, Google Voice (managed users only), Jamboard, Google Vault services, and Google Cloud Identity Management."

See Chrome in that list?  No.

FAIL.
    p-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/06/21/google-chrome-has-become-surveillance-software-its-time-switch/?utm_term=.e7b0f4b9ad58
    darwiniandudep-dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    macxpress said:
    Because one of the school student database systems I need to use won’t run reliably on anything else. 
  • Reply 38 of 39
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    macxpress said:
    Will be - until Apple locks down extensions.  Safari without uBlock Origin sucks pretty bad.  Firefox is much better than Chrome these days, but if you are mostly an Apple user Safari is a great experience.

Or was until the planned killing off of extensions with Catalina. 
  • Reply 39 of 39
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    docno42 said:
    macxpress said:
    Will be - until Apple locks down extensions.  Safari without uBlock Origin sucks pretty bad.  Firefox is much better than Chrome these days, but if you are mostly an Apple user Safari is a great experience.

Or was until the planned killing off of extensions with Catalina. 
    You mean legacy extensions. There are other content blockers in the App Store, I've seen Wipr recommended. 
    watto_cobra