Facebook VP Nick Clegg attacks Apple over privacy criticism

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    JinTech said:
    Uh. Don’t you need a hardware platform to use Facebook? Unless you go to the library or use someone else’s hardware, you still need to buy the hardware to run their “free services.” This guy is a dimwit. 
    Sure but doesn’t Facebook on the web run on any hardware? His larger point is correct. Every company takes swipes at other companies with different business models. I remember Jeff Bezos on stage saying Amazon wants to make money when you use their device not when you buy it. And Apple of course can have this huge commitment to privacy because their business model isn’t advertising. But the reason the open web exists as it is today is because of advertising. If people were charged for every website they went to and every thing they did on the web it would be a shadow of what it is today.
    No he’s dead wrong. It does not run on just anything. Hell I have an IPhone 8 and messenger does not work without the app. The web version is horrible at best. And you have to have a smart phone with internet access, so it automatically excludes most of the worlds population. 
    AppleExposedracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Facebook is not free, unless somebody considers their privacy and their information to be totally worthless. Quite a few people do apparently, but that's their problem.

On Facebook and other "free" social media sites, you are opening yourself to privacy molestation.

I prefer not to be molested, but that's just me.

A $1000 iPhone is cheaper than something that is supposedly "free" where you have to sell your soul to the devil.

I don't trust FB for a second, which is probably why I am not on Facebook and never have been.
    dewmep-dogmacseekerracerhomie3pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 50
    jgutherjguther Posts: 97member
    Make the world a better place - shut down facebook!
    p-dogcrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 50
    doctwelve said:
    I wish Jimmy Wales would create a Facebook for the people, run off donations by those who could afford it, where people could just connect without the need to collect their data to make the billions Zuckerberg wants to make (or have all the power Zuckerberg wants to have). Hell, I wish Apple would do it. My friends have jumped off FB and started our own little groups in iMessage for sharing things. Way better. Apple should invest in some alternative. 

NOW is the time for Apple to jump in. People are getting sick of FaceBook and Google.
    They have tried before, but it was not well received. Apple Social could combine tech from iMessage, iCloud, Arcade, News, iTunes, the AppStore and the iOS platform to make a secure but dynamic social platforms. They should start by buying one or two social app companies with good interfaces as a starting point, then build out something much bigger. They should also make it a priority and give it a VP of Social who answers to cook and invest on the scale of their Apple TV + initiative. 

People did not commit to their previous efforts because they were not committed and it showed. 

Thinking deeper. They could make it available to everyone,  but have enhanced features tied to technology built into their devices. Like a video chat could be in 3d for iPhone or iPad users while it would just be a standard video chat and maybe render recordings in iCloud for playback in 3d for all to see. 

This could crush competitors. Apple could also have a free version, but have an exclusive enhanced version for devices or users with an Apple subscription like Apple Music or Apple TV +. They could insulated users from tracking and the bombardment of competitive ads that are facilitated by Facebook and Google. 

edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cockroaches are available protein for everyone but...
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichFileMakerFellerLordeHawkpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 50
    jungmark said:
    Hahaha!!
    edited June 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 50
    apple ][ said:
    Facebook is not free, unless somebody considers their privacy and their information to be totally worthless. Quite a few people do apparently, but that's their problem.

On Facebook and other "free" social media sites, you are opening yourself to privacy molestation.

I prefer not to be molested, but that's just me.

A $1000 iPhone is cheaper than something that is supposedly "free" where you have to sell your soul to the devil.

I don't trust FB for a second, which is probably why I am not on Facebook and never have been.
    Basically selling data to anyone including bad actors who with enough information can piece together a profile to scam someone or steal their identity. That can be quite a bit more costly. Keep in mind that even those who are very selective about who enters their social media circles, have no control over what Info is share to a 3rd party. Including where you live, who your relatives and friend you interact with in real life are. This puts both parties at risk. 
    edited June 2019 racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jungmark said:
    Even cockroaches love eating other cockroaches.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 50
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    genovelle said:
    doctwelve said:
    I wish Jimmy Wales would create a Facebook for the people, run off donations by those who could afford it, where people could just connect without the need to collect their data to make the billions Zuckerberg wants to make (or have all the power Zuckerberg wants to have). Hell, I wish Apple would do it. My friends have jumped off FB and started our own little groups in iMessage for sharing things. Way better. Apple should invest in some alternative. 

NOW is the time for Apple to jump in. People are getting sick of FaceBook and Google.
    They have tried before, but it was not well received. Apple Social could combine tech from iMessage, iCloud, Arcade, News, iTunes, the AppStore and the iOS platform to make a secure but dynamic social platforms. They should start by buying one or two social app companies with good interfaces as a starting point, then build out something much bigger. They should also make it a priority and give it a VP of Social who answers to cook and invest on the scale of their Apple TV + initiative. 

People did not commit to their previous efforts because they were not committed and it showed. 

Thinking deeper. They could make it available to everyone,  but have enhanced features tied to technology built into their devices. Like a video chat could be in 3d for iPhone or iPad users while it would just be a standard video chat and maybe render recordings in iCloud for playback in 3d for all to see. 

This could crush competitors. Apple could also have a free version, but have an exclusive enhanced version for devices or users with an Apple subscription like Apple Music or Apple TV +. They could insulated users from tracking and the bombardment of competitive ads that are facilitated by Facebook and Google. 

People like to point at Ping for why Apple shouldn't enter this space but so much time has passed and so much more is possible.

I'd like a more personal experience that doesn't spy on you. One that doesn't show you Pikachu pajama ads because you posted that you were playing Pokemon Go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 50
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    genovelle said:
    JinTech said:
    Uh. Don’t you need a hardware platform to use Facebook? Unless you go to the library or use someone else’s hardware, you still need to buy the hardware to run their “free services.” This guy is a dimwit. 
    Sure but doesn’t Facebook on the web run on any hardware? His larger point is correct. Every company takes swipes at other companies with different business models. I remember Jeff Bezos on stage saying Amazon wants to make money when you use their device not when you buy it. And Apple of course can have this huge commitment to privacy because their business model isn’t advertising. But the reason the open web exists as it is today is because of advertising. If people were charged for every website they went to and every thing they did on the web it would be a shadow of what it is today.
    No he’s dead wrong. It does not run on just anything. Hell I have an IPhone 8 and messenger does not work without the app. The web version is horrible at best. And you have to have a smart phone with internet access, so it automatically excludes most of the worlds population. 
    Well I rarely use Facebook and don’t use messenger. I assumed they worked on the web and cheaper hardware. Of course If Facebook is so awful Apple could ban it from their App Store. 
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 31 of 50
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    There's nothing quite like the stench of fresh BS that's emitted when an elitist tries to convince you that he's saving you from "elites." Maybe if he said "other elites" the smell would be more tolerable. This guy's been drinking Zuckerberg's kool aid for way too long and has gone nose blind to his own pungent emissions.  
    p-dogrusswracerhomie3beowulfschmidtpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 50
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    JinTech said:
    Of course Facebook runs on the web but you need to own hardware to use the web, and you need an ISP. Unless, of course, as I mentioned, you go to the library or using someone else hardware.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 50
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    ralphie said:
    Facebook should charge for a premium version, that DOESNT track everything you do, and no ads.
    That would just give them a reason to track and use your information even more in a non premium version.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 50
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    crowley said:
    Oh please Facebook. Do you give your users free devices? A lot of poorer people in  the 3rd world don’t have access to smartphones. Only dumb phones. Since you say Facebook is for ‘everybody’ put your money where your mouth is & give the next 1 Billion people in 3rd world free phones & internet. You can even get iPhone 4, 4S & 5 ($47,$60 & $100) in India,Pakistan ,Bangladesh & Nepal. So don’t put crap up about all Apple products being expensive.
    They did try giving away free internet

https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-to-beam-free-internet-to-africa/
    Remember the Facebook Phone? $99 marked down to $0.99. So they did try to give the hardware away. ;)

racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 50
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    lkrupp said:
    Every word out that man’s mouth is a damnable lie and the whole world knows it.
    Yup, he's a fucking sell-out, decided power was more important than ideals, so he abandoned them and helped destroy a country in the process.
    p-dogcrossladwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 50
    JohnDeeJohnDee Posts: 50member
    He's an (ex)politician, so you can't really expect something truthful or sensible.
    In addition, working for the intrusive, data grabbing, privacy ignoring organisation that Fakebook is, he would attack (out of duty) any other company's morals if they don't agree with the shady ones of Fakebook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 50
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    lkrupp said:
    Every word out that man’s mouth is a damnable lie and the whole world knows it.
    Yup, he's a fucking sell-out, decided power was more important than ideals, so he abandoned them and helped destroy a country in the process.
    Led the Liberal Democrats from a vibrant, popular third party to near oblivion in one election cycle. All they really needed to do was stand up to the Conservatives on some of the Lib-Dem key platform issues, and maybe they'd still be taken seriously.

Anyway, let's not get bogged down in politics, and instead just look at the implications for his credibility. It's hard to trust anything he says, given his track record.
    p-dogwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 50
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    Normally one would have to visit K Street to find a hack such as this Westminster reject. This is what Toilet Clogg really said:

Clegg goes on to frame Facebook as a service available to data-mine all users. "There are no protections at Facebook. No VIP access. No business class. No user data privacy"

"Our monetizing services are equally abusive to students in Guatemala, cattle farmers in the mid-west United States, office workers in Mumbai, tech startups in Nairobi, or taxi drivers in Berlin."

Clegg then boasted "More than 2 billion people are routinely monetized by our platforms - because they can be."

edited June 2019 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 50
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    The same Nick Clegg that allowed universities in the U.K. to increase their fees from £3000 per annum to £9000 per annum? Where else can you go for a degree?  What a hypocrite. 
    williamlondonracerhomie3anomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 50
    genovelle said:
    doctwelve said:

People like to point at Ping for why Apple shouldn't enter this space but so much time has passed and so much more is possible.

I'd like a more personal experience that doesn't spy on you. One that doesn't show you Pikachu pajama ads because you posted that you were playing Pokemon Go.
    They tried again in Apple Music to the same response. I agree. It will just require a real commitment and investment as a real product. Each attempt was less than halfhearted. 

watto_cobra