16-inch MacBook Pro release, MacBook Air updates predicted for September

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    "Laptops" live a mostly binary life:  
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)
    -- Half spend most of their lives sitting on a desk

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Here, they have a chance to break out of that prison.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  
    Or, will it be just more of the same -- just a little bigger?

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
    In the overall business world these large laptops have died out.  They end up being way to large for people on the go.  Poor sales apparently doomed the 17” MBP so Apple needs to be real careful about machine configuration here to drive demand.  

To put-it another way big laptops are a hard sell.  
    fastasleep
  • Reply 42 of 75
    MacPro said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    Who knows.  Frankly I’ve become very disappointed with the cost of Apples hardware especially when you can get better Wintel hardware at half the price.  Install Linux and all the issues with Windows go away.  

Of course AutoCad really needs Windows so you are stuck there.  It has become impossible to suggest to people that buying Macs makes sense anymore.  

Of course that that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in what Apple is up to.   Imagine if they stuffed their gate array technology into this notebook.  Very expensive for sure but video processors would love it.  Or they could work with AMD to make an APU with built in special sauce for the same market.  

As for the ribbon I could actually see Apple making it bigger.   Instead of one row we could see two or three.  
  • Reply 43 of 75
    -- Half spend most of their lives travelling (room to room, office to home/office, or city to city)

Without getting into what the split actually is, Apple has largely ignored the second category in its single minded rush to thin, light, minimalist designs.

Will the new MacBook be upgradeable, have a great keyboard that people like to use, and ports that people need and use?  

Frankly, if it's just a bigger version of the same, there is no chance that I would buy one.
    If your laptop is spending the vast majority of its life sitting on a desk, you may as well just get a desktop.  The whole point of a laptop is that it's going to travel.
    This is so true but many have been convinced that a laptop is the only way to go.   Walk into any store selling Wintel and you see a sea of laptops.  If there are any desktops at all they are either compact computers using laptop parts or gaming machines.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 44 of 75
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:

Rajka said:
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.
    Apple claims they will listen to customers after the last mac pro...

"Seventy-five per cent of people surveyed said they support "right to repair" legislation that would make it easier to fix devices."
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-june-16-2019-1.5175507/why-some-people-are-fighting-for-the-right-to-repair-our-broken-products-1.5175579

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Right_to_Repair_Initiative
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/right-to-repair-legislation-device-smartphone-1.5144235

What are the customer benefits of the proprietary main ssd connectors in the 2019 pro ?
    ...and how about those AirPods...
    Seriously...you want fucking AirPods to be "repairable"? You are seriously off your rocker! Why does EVERYTHING have to be repairable? What's next, we want repairable lightbulbs so we don't have to buy new ones when they blow out? 
    Have you ever been to a transfer station or landfill site?  Do you care about the environment that sustains us?  Probably not so much given your language and apparent lack of respect for other opinions, given not everyone might agree with your idea of the world...

My analogue cans (dual driver audiophile from 1980's) and buds (audiophile musician) are still going strong, and occasionally require new cables or pads, yet to me that sure beats declining battery life and needing to buy a new complete unit every few years... Just my opinion of course.

Is Apple trying to turn as many of their products into consumables, presumably for profit ?  

Recycling can also be resource intensive. Research solar panels for example. Renewable yes, but sustainable...? 
    You are an extreme minority....the vast amount of Apple's customers don't really give 2 shits if something is repairable. If an AirPod breaks, they're going to get it replaced under warranty or just buy new ones. They aren't going to spend time replacing X,Y,Z part. Same goes for a computer or even a phone. 

Don't give me this BS about the environment. Apple does more than you think to save the environment. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 75
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    The MBP should be the platform for new, custom silicon; a machine which demands both productivity & low power consumption. They should be looking for a T3 with at least accelerated RAW video & image management & HEIC/H.265 (10-bit) export.
    AFAIK most competitor machines still need to be plugged in to use their dGPUs.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,666member
    I think we will be seeing an entire notebook line redo. 

All will have larger screens while retaining very similar footprint (i. E. iPhone X)

This will be the perfect opportunity to introduce a 5K screen to the 16+ as well. 

Upgraded specs plus expanded battery capacity should round it out. A 64 gb RAM option would be a fantastic addition to the top tier. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 75
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:

Rajka said:
    No doubt the new MacBook Pro will be thin to the point of a fault, difficult to repair, not upgradeable or expandable. Oh, and quite expensive. And it will sport the new failed keyboard that is awful to type on to begin with. (That's a matter of one's preference though.) Those are my predictions. I'll pass. On yet another MBP. Just like on the Mac Pro. Apple doesn't make computers for me any longer. Sigh.

"Seventy-five per cent of people surveyed said they support "right to repair" legislation that would make it easier to fix devices."
    https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-june-16-2019-1.5175507/why-some-people-are-fighting-for-the-right-to-repair-our-broken-products-1.5175579

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/right-to-repair-legislation-device-smartphone-1.5144235

What are the customer benefits of the proprietary main ssd connectors in the 2019 pro ?
    Seriously...you want fucking AirPods to be "repairable"? You are seriously off your rocker! Why does EVERYTHING have to be repairable? What's next, we want repairable lightbulbs so we don't have to buy new ones when they blow out? 
    Of course that's crazy. However there's a big difference between "cheap"accessories and a $2-5000 computer. 
    The difference also is, how many people in the real world (outside of tech forums) really want to be able to repair the own computer whether it's a $300 PC or a $5,000 Mac? IMO, this is really just an extremely small percentage of people who are whining about this. 
    Neither do people want to throw away a $2,500 computer.   That's why God invented repair shops.  You know.   Like the Apple store.

For myself, I stick mostly to Lenovo ThinkPads where they give you screw by screw instructions with diagrams on how to replace pretty much everything in it -- down to the CPU & motherboard.  I'm thinking of installing an SSD in my 13 year old T60P just to speed it up a little -- but that barely requires an instruction manual -- it's literally a 2 minute job (if you're slow like me).
  • Reply 48 of 75
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:

Then there is no chance you will buy one.  No chance of upgradeability.
    I don't know about that. The T2 providing both system security and the SSD controller is the biggest reason the SSDs are built into the logic board. With the new Mac Pro, it looks like they have split the T2 off into a system T2 and an SSD T2. They could make the new MBP accept the same SSDs as the Mac Pro.
    I agree.   The soldered, non-replaceable SSD & memory never made a lot of sense to me as a consumer.   The incremental performance or reliability simply didn't justify what was essentially a disposable machine costing thousands.
    There's that goofy, wrong phrase again -- "disposable". Nope. Just because you can't upgrade the storage or RAM doesnt make it suddenly "disposable". That's absurd. It remains a tool to perform a job to be done, and it does it well. 99% of laptop owners have never and will never replace the storage on their Dells or whatever, that doesn't make them suddenly "disposable!" machines. 

If you're talking about repairability, that still doesn't make sense since you certainly can bring them in for repair. 

By your fuzzy logic, nearly all products are "disposable" -- iPads, TVs, stereos, microwaves, blenders, you name it. Even cars! Because hey, if you can't upgrade the carburetor then it must be "disposable!" right?

Wrong. 
    So, you would throw away your car simply because something broke on it or you don't like the radio?
    No?   Then why would you want to throw away a computer?

Frankly, when I was working I had more money than time, so I often did just that.   But now, being retired, I take a lot of pleasure in spending a couple bucks to save a few hundred or a few thousand -- whether its a computer or a weed-wacker (I just put a new $20 carburator on mine and it runs and starts like new).
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 49 of 75
    wizard69 said:

In the overall business world these large laptops have died out.  They end up being way to large for people on the go.  Poor sales apparently doomed the 17” MBP so Apple needs to be real careful about machine configuration here to drive demand.  

To put-it another way big laptops are a hard sell.  
    ... and for the other half of the population who don't use a laptop primarily for travel -- and it sits mostly on a desk or kitchen table?  Why should they be stuck squinting at a tiny screen because you use yours for travel?
  • Reply 50 of 75
    wizard69 said:
    MacPro said:
    Why doesn't Apple simply go fo a 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) screen?  I just bought a Dell 15" laptop for my granddaughter who needs it for AutoCAD that has one and it is stunning.
    Who knows.  Frankly I’ve become very disappointed with the cost of Apples hardware especially when you can get better Wintel hardware at half the price.  Install Linux and all the issues with Windows go away.  

Of course AutoCad really needs Windows so you are stuck there.  It has become impossible to suggest to people that buying Macs makes sense anymore.  

Of course that that doesn’t mean I’m not interested in what Apple is up to.   Imagine if they stuffed their gate array technology into this notebook.  Very expensive for sure but video processors would love it.  Or they could work with AMD to make an APU with built in special sauce for the same market.  

As for the ribbon I could actually see Apple making it bigger.   Instead of one row we could see two or three.  
    For myself, I use my MacBook mostly to integrate with my iOS world.   It does have a better screen & speakers.  But otherwise, except for integrating with the world of iOS, it can't do anything that my Thinkpad can't do (plus the Thinkpad is a pleasure to type on rather than a pain).
  • Reply 51 of 75
    wizard69 said:

If your laptop is spending the vast majority of its life sitting on a desk, you may as well just get a desktop.  The whole point of a laptop is that it's going to travel.
    This is so true but many have been convinced that a laptop is the only way to go.   Walk into any store selling Wintel and you see a sea of laptops.  If there are any desktops at all they are either compact computers using laptop parts or gaming machines.  
    Basically, the only thing I can't do on a (Thinkpad) laptop that I can do on my desktop is replace the GPU.
    I maintain a T530 for a friend and I'm thinking of installing a third SSD in it.

But, old habits die hard and I just can't bring myself to scrap my old desktop -- I mostly use it as a central repository / server now.
  • Reply 52 of 75
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Rajka said:

Have you ever been to a transfer station or landfill site?  Do you care about the environment that sustains us?  Probably not so much given your language and apparent lack of respect for other opinions, given not everyone might agree with your idea of the world...

My analogue cans (dual driver audiophile from 1980's) and buds (audiophile musician) are still going strong, and occasionally require new cables or pads, yet to me that sure beats declining battery life and needing to buy a new complete unit every few years... Just my opinion of course.

Is Apple trying to turn as many of their products into consumables, presumably for profit ?  

Recycling can also be resource intensive. Research solar panels for example. Renewable yes, but sustainable...? 
    You are an extreme minority....the vast amount of Apple's customers don't really give 2 shits if something is repairable. If an AirPod breaks, they're going to get it replaced under warranty or just buy new ones. They aren't going to spend time replacing X,Y,Z part. Same goes for a computer or even a phone. 

Don't give me this BS about the environment. Apple does more than you think to save the environment. 
    That has not been my experience.   Quite the opposite actually.   Well, except for one flake who throws away the old and buys new at the first sign of trouble.  His motto:  "Why spend good money after bad?"
  • Reply 53 of 75
    Why bother repairing something yourself for $80 when you could buy a brand new machine with less storage than the one thats broken for $ 3K? pfft and screw replacing the $5 batteries on my air pods when I can just shell out couple of hundge for a new pair. I am young with the times and got money to burn. :) 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 54 of 75
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:

Rajka said:

Of course that's crazy. However there's a big difference between "cheap"accessories and a $2-5000 computer. 
    The difference also is, how many people in the real world (outside of tech forums) really want to be able to repair the own computer whether it's a $300 PC or a $5,000 Mac? IMO, this is really just an extremely small percentage of people who are whining about this. 
    Neither do people want to throw away a $2,500 computer.   That's why God invented repair shops.  You know.   Like the Apple store.

For myself, I stick mostly to Lenovo ThinkPads where they give you screw by screw instructions with diagrams on how to replace pretty much everything in it -- down to the CPU & motherboard.  I'm thinking of installing an SSD in my 13 year old T60P just to speed it up a little -- but that barely requires an instruction manual -- it's literally a 2 minute job (if you're slow like me).
    Apple has repair shops and there are 3rd party ones as well, your point? Just because you can't go to Bob's computers doesn't mean they can't be repaired. 
  • Reply 55 of 75

macxpress said:
    macxpress said:

Rajka said:

That has not been my experience.   Quite the opposite actually.   Well, except for one flake who throws away the old and buys new at the first sign of trouble.  His motto:  "Why spend good money after bad?"
    Again, you are the extreme minority. Sorry, but you are. We here at AI do not represent the real world Apple customer base which has a hell of a lot larger sample size than you could ever imagine. 
  • Reply 56 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Because the "spends most of their lives sitting on a desk" use case is stupid.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 57 of 75

zimmie said:
    crowley said:

I don't know about that. The T2 providing both system security and the SSD controller is the biggest reason the SSDs are built into the logic board. With the new Mac Pro, it looks like they have split the T2 off into a system T2 and an SSD T2. They could make the new MBP accept the same SSDs as the Mac Pro.
    I agree.   The soldered, non-replaceable SSD & memory never made a lot of sense to me as a consumer.   The incremental performance or reliability simply didn't justify what was essentially a disposable machine costing thousands.
    There's that goofy, wrong phrase again -- "disposable". Nope. Just because you can't upgrade the storage or RAM doesnt make it suddenly "disposable". That's absurd. It remains a tool to perform a job to be done, and it does it well. 99% of laptop owners have never and will never replace the storage on their Dells or whatever, that doesn't make them suddenly "disposable!" machines. 

If you're talking about repairability, that still doesn't make sense since you certainly can bring them in for repair. 

By your fuzzy logic, nearly all products are "disposable" -- iPads, TVs, stereos, microwaves, blenders, you name it. Even cars! Because hey, if you can't upgrade the carburetor then it must be "disposable!" right?

Wrong. 
    So, you would throw away your car simply because something broke on it or you don't like the radio?
    No?   Then why would you want to throw away a computer?

Frankly, when I was working I had more money than time, so I often did just that.   But now, being retired, I take a lot of pleasure in spending a couple bucks to save a few hundred or a few thousand -- whether its a computer or a weed-wacker (I just put a new $20 carburator on mine and it runs and starts like new).
    You take it to the Apple Store or 3rd party Apple Service Center if it breaks. If it's considered Obsolete and Apple cannot get parts then yeah, maybe its time to think about getting something different. I didn't say if something broke a 1yr in throw it away. Surely its worth more to fix it than throw it away. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 58 of 75
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    cropr said:
    macxpress said:
    Meaning, you just replace the existing cable you own with a USB-C/Thunderbolt to whatever you need cable. If you need to carry around USB 3.0 (USB A) cables with your laptop then something isn't right anyways. You shouldn't need to be taking your office desk with you in your bag everywhere you go these days. Get with the times! Replacing a cable that will most likely be the future connector of products going forward will be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than getting a bunch of more expensive dongles. For example, you can get a USB-C to HDMI cable for $20 or you can buy the Apple USB-C to HDMI dongle for $80. USB-C/Thunderbolt is the most versatile port Apple has ever put in a Mac, period! You can pretty much get everything you want through 1 port instead of needing to have 10 different ports scattered along the side of a laptop. Plus, you can plug it into either side versus before it was almost always on the left side only (including charging). 
    I am working in 4 different working locations  (2 co-working locations, my official office and my home).  I have 1 external monitor that accepts USB-C,  but 100% of external monitors and projectors I need to connect to have a HDMI cable attached, so I don't need a cable or dongle if my portable has a HDMI port available.   You story simply does not fly in a real professional environment.   One of the reasons why I bought a Dell XPS 15 and not a Macbook Pro was exactly the HDMI port

If the maximum resolution of the monitor is supported by HDMI (as in 99% of the use cases), USB-C connectivity does not give any technical advantage, it only increases the price.  So in most environments people don't have a compelling reason to replace their existing monitors with a USB-C compatible one.

You need 1 cable...usb-c to HDMI.  Done.
    Or one cheap USB-C hub off amazon.  Done.

Whining about nothing.
    thtmacxpressfastasleep
  • Reply 59 of 75
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Hope the 13" nontouchbar is updated to a 15W quad core and gets TouchID. Butterfly 3.5 is a given I would assume. With those updates at its current price it would be an easy pick over the Air, unless the Air goes down in price like Tim indicated they were aiming for.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    zimmie said:
    crowley said:

I can see Apple making those things proprietary.  And I can see them voiding the warranty if non OEM parts are installed by a unauthorzed repair person.  But, forcing the consumer to predict their usage demands for years in the future - and pay dearly for it -- just didn't seem reasonable.

Things change and shit happens:
    For a period storage demands were increasing dramatically as people started storing music and videos on their machines.  But streaming has largely reduced those demands -- and 5G may reduce them even further as streaming / cloud based services proliferate (even if the Mac never accesses 5G directly).  It makes things hard to predict.  Where will be in 5 years?
    When Apple started integrating the SSDs onto their logic boards, their SSD controller was legitimately faster than anybody else's. They were getting 2+GB/s when everybody else was at 1.2 or so.

With the SSD soldered, soldering the RAM makes more sense. You already can't really upgrade the machine, since its mass storage is on the same board as the processor, so it's not a huge stretch to integrate another part. Yes, I know they started soldering the RAM to the board before they started soldering the SSD to the board. I'm just saying if they split the SSD off, the soldered RAM will make less sense.