Apple design chief Jony Ive to depart later this year, create new studio with Apple as cli...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 186
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has been let go because of the MacBook Pro keyboard debacle and possibly was also unhappy to have to design a tower.
    1) He hasn’t been let go. 
    2) he didn’t engineer the keyboard. 
    3) there’s no indication he has a problem with towers. I mean, he’s English so he probably likes then. Maybe lives in one. 

fastasleepgeorgie01welshdoglollivertmaycat52randominternetperson
  • Reply 22 of 186
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I am not sure this is a bad thing. The important thing is that the overriding principles of what Steve Jobs created and which a lot of people have carried forwards remain. For instance the emphasis on design and quality over numbers and volume. The deep knowledge that investing in quality in every aspect of a product's design will ensure its longevity and financial success. 

But I am sure there are many people in copy cat companies around the globe who are gleefully rubbing their hands together right now. 
    AppleExposedfastasleepcat52yojimbo007
  • Reply 23 of 186
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    ...my sense (fear) is Mr Ive & Mr Jobs were a symbiotic miracle or anomaly, along with so many other contributions from presumably many... Can such 'chemistry' be hard to define? Was Steve Jobs the best design critic Mr Ive might have had ? I have not really been that keen on a number of Apple design decisions since that 'era', at the simplest level dropping such things as Kensington lock slots on the more compact hardware, to a mouse with locked in batteries and a charge jack that makes use impossible when the batteries die - perhaps it is just me, and no doubt there are many amazing contributions and concerns I cannot know - I remember reading somewhere (SJ/JI?) 'the best ideas can be as fragile as a whisper' and so I hope the 'back room' refines that magic chemistry again - I have seen the 'whisper' be both caught and developed, and destroyed by rash judgement. I understand the sentiment, and to me anathema to corporate culture generally in the face of profit, deadlines, efficiency et al vs design excellence...

I will be most interested to see what comes out of FromLove unshackled from the scope of current Apple corporate move to 'annual' releases from what seemed prior more scheduled on merit...

They were a bit John and Paul alright, with Ive’s excesses modified by Jobs’ criticism. 
    AppleExposedflyingdpMisterKitcat52
  • Reply 24 of 186
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has been let go because of the MacBook Pro keyboard debacle and possibly was also unhappy to have to design a tower.

Not a chance. There were plenty of "gates" under Ive. Apple ignores the noise unless it's a complete fu**-up then you'll get fired.

toysandme said:
    I’m hoping the next boss is not colorblind. 

me too /s

fastasleepLordeHawklolliverradarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 186
    asdasd said:
    1) He hasn’t been let go. 
    2) he didn’t engineer the keyboard. 
    3) there’s no indication he has a problem with towers. I mean, he’s English so he probably likes then. Maybe lives in one. 

No tower block for Jony Ive.  Here's his home, quite lovely as one might expect, albeit in the old-fashioned realm.  Quite unlike Apple Park.

https://pursuitist.com/apples-jony-ive-buys-17m-dream-home-on-san-franciscos-gold-coast/

I think the Mac Pro tower and display shows his passion for design very well so I don't think it's hatred of towers that's the problem.

It does seem like an odd move to make.  Like he has something he wants to prove the world.  Or maybe it's just a way of making more money.  Companies typically pay consultants significantly more than employees.  No matter what, I wish him and Apple the best of good fortune in whatever they are doing.

• Reply 26 of 186
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Ive has been great, but I truly believe his best designs and ideas came when he had Jobs there to balance his ideas with practical common sense. His original iMac, the iterations that followed, those were clever, creative, and functional. In the last few years we have thinner and thinner at the expense of keyboards that are comfortable to use. We have flat color schemes that are simply less user friendly. We have less interesting designs now that Ive does not have Jobs to push back. 

I wish Ive well, but I'm very interested in what the new blood in the design office does. We won't see what that is for three or more years, but it will be interesting.
    anantksundaramelijahgwelshdogkitatit
  • Reply 27 of 186
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    ...my sense (fear) is Mr Ive & Mr Jobs were a symbiotic miracle or anomaly, along with so many other contributions from presumably many... Can such 'chemistry' be hard to define? Was Steve Jobs the best design critic/foil Mr Ive might have had ? I have not really been that keen on a number of Apple design decisions since that 'era', at the simplest level dropping such things as Kensington lock slots on the more compact hardware, to a mouse with locked in batteries and a charge jack that makes use impossible when the batteries die

Are you talking about the Magic Mouse with the charge port underneath? There was an actual reason for that. It was so that users don't think the mouse has to be "plugged-in" to work. I figured this out* on my own after going to a friends house and telling him his bluetooth iMac keyboard didn't have to be plugged in lol.

*Again, I could be wrong but it was obvious after that.

fastasleepmacpluspluspscooter63lollivertmaycat52wlymrandominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 186
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    flydog said:

tzeshan said:
    A design is not an art. A design has to fit on a useful thing. This is what Ive missed after the passing of Jobs. 
    This is completely incoherent. 
    I had no trouble. Just because somethings pretty doesn’t make it useful. Whether that applies to Ives work is debatable - but the keyboard thing seemed to be an answer to a question that wasn’t asked. Trash can Mac Pro probably another. 

Otherwise his design has been amazing in my view. 
    elijahgDAalseth
  • Reply 29 of 186
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    The article also said he was starting his own company and Apple would be his largest client.  I wonder if he is moving back to the UK to work from there?
    edited June 2019 AppleExposed
  • Reply 30 of 186
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    tzeshan said:
    A design is not an art. A design has to fit on a useful thing. This is what Ive missed after the passing of Jobs. 
    100% wrong. 
    cornchipAppleExposedtmay
  • Reply 30 of 186
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    WHOA!

It does seem like an odd move to make.  Like he has something he wants to prove the world.  Or maybe it's just a way of making more money.  Companies typically pay consultants significantly more than employees.  No matter what, I wish him and Apple the best of good fortune in whatever they are doing.

Could also be a way for Apple to focus on current products and current product development, and have a “consultancy” work on design for things that take a little more time to hash out - both big picture strategies and details such as specialized manufacturing. Projects like... you know, I’m sure there are projects like that, just having trouble putting my finger on it at the moment ;)

tzeshan said:

... ya had me... then ya lost me...

edited June 2019 AppleExposedtmay
  • Reply 32 of 186
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    flydog said:

tzeshan said:
    This is completely incoherent. 
    My first sentence is not correct. It should be as follows. A design is not just an art work. 
    AppleExposedwg45678
  • Reply 33 of 186

Are you for real? There’s no way either of these things is true. 
    macseekerlollivertmayrandominternetperson
  • Reply 34 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Sell your stocks folks….
    I'm sure you said the same thing with Steve Jobs passed the reigns to Tim Cook.

edited June 2019 fastasleepcornchippscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 186
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    100% wrong. 
    Only 33% wrong. 
    AppleExposedcornchip
  • Reply 36 of 186
    Hooray! This thinner is better idea is nonsense when your products battery life takes a nosedive and useable ports go away. Let’s give other people’s ideas a chance. 
    elijahgrain22
  • Reply 37 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Nothing to see here.

Let's say another company wanted to hire Ive to do design work for them (like Tesla, as an example). Ive really likes Apple and doesn't want to leave Apple behind and join another company to do their design work for them. But he likes the idea of doing other projects other than Apple.

So he "leaves" Apple and starts his own independent design company. Apple remains a major client, so Ive technically still works for Apple, but he can also work for others as he sees fit. Apple gets to keep Ive and Ive get to do other stuff as well. Seems like a win all around.
    It's odd that people that say they like Ive's work are upset that he's branching out to do other things and benefit more people. You'd think they'd simply say, "I look forward to seeing what he can do with his own company." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
    fastasleeppscooter63welshdoglollivercolinngJWSCradarthekatiqatedocornchip
  • Reply 38 of 186
    After more than two decades at Apple, with his fingerprints on iconic products from iMac to iPod to iPhone and Apple Park, chief design officer Sir Jony Ive plans to depart the company later this year to start a new creative firm called LoveFrom.

LoveForm, not LoveFrom.
    radarthekatrandominternetperson
  • Reply 39 of 186
    I think Ive's hardware designs are superior, but it has already been said, if you have found a perfect design for a class of machines (think iMac) then there is not much to change about that. Even the iMac Pro looks the same, even though it is very different on the inside. The latest cheese grater model is another step forward, driven by temperature management. On the other hand, I think Ive’s interface design is pretty worthless, a classic in form over function. That has been straightened out a bit in iOS. But the tendency to make everything as meaningless grey as possible in the Finder so that you can no longer recognize the icons at a glance and have to read the accompanying text, is in my opinion idiotic. Anyway, we'll see if something is going to change; I certainly do not expect that in the short term.
    edited June 2019 anantksundaramelijahg
  • Reply 40 of 186
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    It’s time. His design skills — as evidenced in actual products — have got steadily worse and vanity-driven. His last great hurrah was the Watch. 

He was utterly iconic, utterly brilliant, utterly visionary in his time. Kudos, and good luck with your next venture, Mr. Ive. You’ve made my life immeasurably brighter and joyful with your creations. 
    edited June 2019 elijahgrain22Carnage