Apple design chief Jony Ive to depart later this year, create new studio with Apple as cli...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    Not a big loss. Ivy is scottie pipen. Ivy was only great when he had his Michael Jordan, Steve Jobs. Without Jobs to say no to his design, he continue to churn out low quality design.
    kestral
  • Reply 42 of 186
    Time for him to go. Mac Pro is either hideous or coarse retro. Apple needs to try something new.
    trashman69designranantksundaram
  • Reply 43 of 186
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    All the product designs are exhausted in computing and mobile markets. The next design Ive would create would not be much different from the previous one. Designing a unibody 16 inch MacBook Pro is a trivial and repetitive task, that wouldn’t require Ive’s artistic and creative talents too much (or, this is how Ive might have felt). Apple’s next breakthrough product will certainly carry Ive’s signature, as I understand from his future plans.
    edited June 2019 radarthekat
  • Reply 44 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    decondos said:
    Time for him to go. Mac Pro is either hideous or coarse retro. Apple needs to try something new.
    1) How do you know that Ive designed the Mac Pro? I don't recall that from the WWDC presentation. My assumption is that Ive isn't behind the Mac Pro's design for a litany of reasons.

2) I do recall them mentioning how the design facilities airflow, but you're saying that form should take precedence over function?
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedlolliverpscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 45 of 186
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Hey why did AI switch out his Memoji in the article for his real pic??

All the product designs are exhausted in computing and mobile markets. The next design Ive would create would not be much different from the previous one. Designing a unibody 16 inch MacBook Pro is a trivial and repetitive task, that wouldn’t require Ive’s artistic and creative talents too much (or, this is how Ive might have felt). Apple’s next breakthrough product will certainly carry Ive’s signature, as I understand from the article.

Future products need new designs. Glasses, Cars, etc.

I really like this Apple tag concept:

Even though Apples will surely be better if they released one.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Hooray! This thinner is better idea is nonsense when your products battery life takes a nosedive and useable ports go away. Let’s give other people’s ideas a chance. 
    People misconstrued what he did to iPhone design. The goal he has in mind is miniaturization. Miniaturization makes iPhone a revolutionary product for the whole world. 
    welshdoglollivertmayfastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 186
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    DAalseth said:
    Ive has been great, but I truly believe his best designs and ideas came when he had Jobs there to balance his ideas with practical common sense. His original iMac, the iterations that followed, those were clever, creative, and functional. In the last few years we have thinner and thinner at the expense of keyboards that are comfortable to use. We have flat color schemes that are simply less user friendly. We have less interesting designs now that Ive does not have Jobs to push back. 

I wish Ive well, but I'm very interested in what the new blood in the design office does. We won't see what that is for three or more years, but it will be interesting.
    Thanks to Ive, the necessary interface changes required by the high resolution Retina display has been achieved the best way, considering the absence of Steve Jobs. Thinness is not an artist snobbism, it is an engineering requirement for the dissipation of heat. Take the Watch, for example, reminds me of Jethro Tull’s album Thick as a Brick. Take the Pencil 1, not thin not short, thick and unnecessarily long. Design must bow to engineering requirements. Regarding keyboards, the repair statistics are there, and Apple certainly makes the necessary changes as new statistics emerge.

There will be no new blood etc. The designs in these markets are exhausted until the release of a breakthrough new invention. Of course one can always come with a steampunk or really cyberpunk computer or smartphone design (with or without Alcantara cloth). Those can only be niche ephemeral products and Ive or Apple wouldn’t deal with these.
    edited June 2019 JWSC
  • Reply 48 of 186
    StormriderStormrider Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    That certainly explains the lack of the typical Ives' narrated design video for the upcoming Mac Pro during the recent WWDC. Certainly felt a little unusual without his vocal presence at that event.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 49 of 186
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    DAalseth said:
    Ive has been great, but I truly believe his best designs and ideas came when he had Jobs there to balance his ideas with practical common sense. His original iMac, the iterations that followed, those were clever, creative, and functional. In the last few years we have thinner and thinner at the expense of keyboards that are comfortable to use. We have flat color schemes that are simply less user friendly. We have less interesting designs now that Ive does not have Jobs to push back. 

I wish Ive well, but I'm very interested in what the new blood in the design office does. We won't see what that is for three or more years, but it will be interesting.
    Apple is apparently going to be his largest client in his new venture so it's not necessarily all over with Ives and Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 186
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 492member
    Didn’t see this one coming. It would have been one thing if he had retired after an illustrious and iconic career, but to start up his own company where his ideas are on the open market and possibly going to the highest bidder, well, that’s just a bit fuzzy and unclear. Maybe one day the back story will come out.

It is hard to imagine Jony Ive will ever match the success he had working for Apple.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 51 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    DAalseth said:

Thanks to Ive, the necessary interface changes required by the high resolution Retina display has been achieved the best way, considering the absence of Steve Jobs. Thinness is not an artist snobbism, it is an engineering requirement for the dissipation of heat. Take the Watch, for example, reminds me of Jethro Tull’s album Thick as a Brick. Take the Pencil 1, not thin not short, thick and unnecessarily long. Design must bow to engineering requirements. Regarding keyboards, the repair statistics are there, and Apple certainly makes the necessary changes as new statistics emerge.

There will be no new blood etc. The designs in these markets are exhausted until the release of a breakthrough new invention. Of course one can always come with a steampunk or really cyberpunk computer or smartphone design (with or without Alcantara cloth). Those can only be niche ephemeral products and Ive or Apple wouldn’t deal with these.
    And despite so many saying Apple only cares about thinness we've seen countless YoY Apple products that increased in thickness.
    edited June 2019 AppleExposedwelshdoglollivertmaycanukstormpscooter63beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 52 of 186
    I appreciate this man's work, but the MBP is an abomination, especially the 15''. Stop making the keys so flat (which is part of his design, form over function) and do something else on the keyboard that will add something that doesn't look like a giant slab of metal (the Touch Bar doesn't help at all also with this). Love your work on the new Mac Pro, though and the iPhone 4 and the iMacs.
  • Reply 53 of 186
    Sanctum1972Sanctum1972 Posts: 112unconfirmed, member
    I've feared this day and it's finally come.
    I saw it coming and was bound to happen. Going independent is the most natural thing to do rather than be 'ball and chain' ed to Apple for life. 
    rogifan_newAppleExposed
  • Reply 54 of 186
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Just means you can not design a service like you can design something you physically interact with. You do not get the same visceral experience with a service as you do with something like hardware that you pick up and use. There is nothing really left to do in hardware at this point and a bending phone is not the next great thing in design. 
  • Reply 55 of 186
    Nothing to see here.

Let's say another company wanted to hire Ive to do design work for them (like Tesla, as an example). Ive really likes Apple and doesn't want to leave Apple behind and join another company to do their design work for them. But he likes the idea of doing other projects other than Apple.

So he "leaves" Apple and starts his own independent design company. Apple remains a major client, so Ive technically still works for Apple, but he can also work for others as he sees fit. Apple gets to keep Ive and Ive get to do other stuff as well. Seems like a win all around.
    Even if other competitors of Apple contract his services, especially. I had a feeling he was going to walk and go independent. The signs were there. And if you were a creative professional, you could smell that coming. 
  • Reply 56 of 186
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Well Apple does know how to keep secrets. I still think all these hot takes of [insert Apple product I don’t like here] is because of Ive is a little too simplistic. John Gruber was pretty scathing in his blog post. But if you read the New Yorker profile it’s clear Ive never wanted the role of “THE product guy” at Apple. It’s everyone else crowned him that person.
    He is now one of the two most powerful people in the world’s most valuable company. He sometimes listens to CNBC Radio on his hour-long commute from San Francisco to Apple’s offices, in Silicon Valley, but he’s uncomfortable knowing that a hundred thousand Apple employees rely on his decision-making—his taste—and that a sudden announcement of his retirement would ambush Apple shareholders. (To take a number: a ten-percent drop in Apple’s valuation represents seventy-one billion dollars.) According to Laurene Powell Jobs, Steve Jobs’s widow, who is close to Ive and his family, “Jony’s an artist with an artist’s temperament, and he’d be the first to tell you artists aren’t supposed to be responsible for this kind of thing.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come
    It seems pretty clear with his working on Apple Campus and Apple Stores that he was getting bored designing computers. Which makes me wonder just how much he was involved in things like the butterfly keyboard. I doubt he spent much time at all on software design. I do wonder what will happen now. Surely Jeff Williams overseeing his teams is temporary. But I wonder if they’ll put the human interface team under software engineering and the industrial designers under hardware engineering and get rid of the CDO position for good.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    That certainly explains the lack of the typical Ives' narrated design video for the upcoming Mac Pro during the recent WWDC. Certainly felt a little unusual without his vocal presence at that event.

There was a video and he was in it. They just didn’t play it on stage?
  • Reply 58 of 186
    maestro64 said:
    Just means you can not design a service like you can design something you physically interact with. You do not get the same visceral experience with a service as you do with something like hardware that you pick up and use. There is nothing really left to do in hardware at this point and a bending phone is not the next great thing in design. 
    If anything this is basically Ive telegraphing that Apple is moving away from hardware products into “services”.
    kestral
  • Reply 59 of 186
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Ives has done some great work while at Apple, but with or without him, things will continue to move on.

People come, people go.

Apple has even thrived after Steve Jobs died, contrary to what many speculated and falsely claimed.

Apple will continue to thrive after Ives leaves.
    MisterKitlolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 60 of 186
    Well Apple does know how to keep secrets. I still think all these hot takes of [insert Apple product I don’t like here] is because of Ive is a little too simplistic. John Gruber was pretty scathing in his blog post. But if you read the New Yorker profile it’s clear Ive never wanted the role of “THE product guy” at Apple. It’s everyone else crowned him that person.
    He is now one of the two most powerful people in the world’s most valuable company. He sometimes listens to CNBC Radio on his hour-long commute from San Francisco to Apple’s offices, in Silicon Valley, but he’s uncomfortable knowing that a hundred thousand Apple employees rely on his decision-making—his taste—and that a sudden announcement of his retirement would ambush Apple shareholders. (To take a number: a ten-percent drop in Apple’s valuation represents seventy-one billion dollars.) According to Laurene Powell Jobs, Steve Jobs’s widow, who is close to Ive and his family, “Jony’s an artist with an artist’s temperament, and he’d be the first to tell you artists aren’t supposed to be responsible for this kind of thing.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come
    It seems pretty clear with his working on Apple Campus and Apple Stores that he was getting bored designing computers. Which makes me wonder just how much he was involved in things like the butterfly keyboard. I doubt he spent much time at all on software design. I do wonder what will happen now. Surely Jeff Williams overseeing his teams is temporary. But I wonder if they’ll put the human interface team under software engineering and the industrial designers under hardware engineering and get rid of the CDO position for good.
     I expect that position to be phased out for good. After all, the Chief Design Officer position is not very common so in that sense, he had one foot inside Apple and the other foot outside of it. And yes, boredom does happen when creative burnout occurs. I'm sure he'll do some contractual work for Apple time to time but when it comes to some of the work, I suspect the internal design team will keep it in-house for NDA purposes. The allure of going independent as a designer or creative is very strong even though he claimed that his work with Apple is not done even though with some limits so that he can juggle between clients. The signs of him wanting to get the F out were there.