Eddy Cue says Apple Music has 60 million subscribers

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2020
Apple Music has passed by the 60 million paid subscriber mark, Apple Senior Vice President of Services Eddy Cue advised on Thursday, with Apple's streaming platform hitting the milestone within the first four years of its existence.

Apple Music on Devices

The Apple-produced music streaming service has enjoyed considerable growth since its launch, with Cue advising to French media that Apple Music has reached 60 million paid users. The new subscriber level milestone has been reached just five months after Apple confirmed Apple Music had grown to 50 million paid users in its January conference call.

Cue declined to offer details to Numerama about how many users there are on other platforms, such as Android, but said, "In the Apple ecosystem, Apple Music is the number one streaming service."

Apple continues to lag behind main rival Spotify by a considerable margin, with subscribers of Spotify Premium breaking the 100 million subscriber barrier in April. That point was reached at a far slower rate since Spotify Premium launched in 2008, compared to Apple Music's 2015 launch. In April, it was determined that Apple Music was beating Spotify in terms of paid subscribers in the United States, leading at the time with 28 million subscribers to Spotify's 26 million, based on analyst estimates.

One "2019 Brand Intimacy Study" from May suggests Apple Music's brand worth has waned among apps and social platforms, shifting from first place in 2018 to fifth in 2019, overtaken by both Spotify and Pandora in second and third place, respectively.

Elsewhere in the conversation, Cue advised he was pleased with the progress of subscriber figures and Music's "current state," but advised "its next release proves that the service can always be perfected." Referencing features in the iOS 13 version of the app, Cue took a moment to swipe against a recent accusation by Genius that Google was copying their lyrics, saying, "We've entered them for the most part."

On the subject of the splintering of iTunes into separate apps, as confirmed at WWDC, Cue was asked if he would miss iTunes once it's gone, and whether he preferred iTunes or Apple Music.

"I worked so much on iTunes and Apple Music, I'm biased," he admitted, continuing, "Of course I'm fond of iTunes, but I think Apple Music is absolutely better in every way. We have something better now and there is no point in looking back."

One of the reasons for the split was due to the overall complexity of the app, with iTunes gaining more features over time that made it bewildering to some users to discover how to do some tasks.

"We try to solve it by highlighting cards on the homepage to inform users who have not used such and such a function, such as playlists. But the equation is complex; we must keep a simple interface while informing about these features," he said.

Giving one example of not combining Podcasts with Music, "These are two things so different. You do not listen to a podcast, then a piece of music, and then a podcast. Experience has shown us that running in separate applications works great on iOS."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Who else prefers the previous "For you" screen?

I found it gave me a better variety of suggestions. Lots of eclectic items. Less horizontal scrolling!
  • Reply 2 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    I was hoping a little more by now. I was thinking 80 million by years end. Though it seems they're increasing at a faster rate than Spotty.

Google stealing? I'm shocked! /s
    Apple has a deal with genius. I wouldn't mind seeing genius' lyric meanings somehow integrated in Apple Music.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    Pandora is a MUCH better apple ecosystem citizen than Spotify. Spotify is a slow moving company. Soon to be dead.
    AppleExposedCesar Battistini MazierololliverEsquireCatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 25
    gutengelgutengel Posts: 363member
    Well the points of "not looking back" is pretty weak. Apple Music is very limited, specially when it comes to the music selection. Usually there's only version of each song and most of the time is the radio version, you want the the unplugged version, good luck with that, if the artist decided to pull out of Apple Music, good luck with that. iTunes is not about convenience, is an organisational tool for your music! Instead of playing with cards and keeping the music app as simple as possible, he should be fixing integration between apple music and iTunes libraries. I still got about 20% of my library no available on my iPhone, many of those songs are unplugged or live versions, but many are just exactly the same as the Apple Music version that the service doesn't recognise because its stupid.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 25
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    How many of these users are Verizon customers such as me? I have Apple Music for "free" as part of my Verizon Wireless service. I hate it. It's awful. Even though I get it for free, I pay for Amazon Music. Apple's curated stations and algorithms that determine song similarity are a joke. For example, I tried to listen to the "Hard Rock" station today. The first song was by The White Stripes...certainly not hard rock or anything even close to being hard rock. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Pandora is a MUCH better apple ecosystem citizen than Spotify. Spotify is a slow moving company. Soon to be dead.
    I hope so! Spotify doesn't pay artists properly!

racerhomie3lolliverchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    If you plot paid subscribers over time since inception what is the shape of the curve?
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    tylersdad said:
    How many of these users are Verizon customers such as me? I have Apple Music for "free" as part of my Verizon Wireless service. I hate it. It's awful. Even though I get it for free, I pay for Amazon Music. Apple's curated stations and algorithms that determine song similarity are a joke. For example, I tried to listen to the "Hard Rock" station today. The first song was by The White Stripes...certainly not hard rock or anything even close to being hard rock. 

Just how old are you and what do you consider "Hard Rock"?

I don't see a problem with The White Stripes being played on a "Hard Rock" station. Granted not all their music is "Hard Rock", but they have more than a few songs that fall into that category.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not a fan of rental music, recommendations, curated playlists, so called tastemakers, or streaming rap/hip-hop.

I own my music and prefer ALAC local files to the lossy stuff that Apple streams for your $10 a month.

Since there were better than 800 million active iTunes accounts at the time they wasted $3 Billion on Beats and they have given anybody who wanted a free trial for years, that number of subscribers looks like an abject failure.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    davgreg said:
    Not a fan of rental music, recommendations, curated playlists, so called tastemakers, or streaming rap/hip-hop.

I own my music and prefer ALAC local files to the lossy stuff that Apple streams for your $10 a month.

Since there were better than 800 million active iTunes accounts at the time they wasted $3 Billion on Beats and they have given anybody who wanted a free trial for years, that number of subscribers looks like an abject failure.

10% (and growing) of 800 million is not too bad.

Consider that you don't need one or the other but can still use both.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    davgreg said:

Wow! Good for you! Don't we all just love to hate SO much that we lack the ability to understand why someone else might not! If Love is blind, then hatred must be blind, deaf, dumb, and mute all rolled into one. Ok. Definitely not mute, that's for sure. People love to let others know how much they hate things. Especially on the WWW.

And I'm sure Apple must really be kicking themselves, regretting wasting that $3B, as they collect 600M a month ($7.2 billion a year) from those people who are torturing themselves doing all things you hate about music streaming services.
    edited June 2019 lolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    n2itivguyn2itivguy Posts: 103member
    There are a few suggestions I have for AM, but one aspect I’d like to see expanded is genre labeling. I’d love to be able to search for jazz fusion, acid jazz, eclectic jazz, contemporary jazz vs having to wade through just all of jazz.  Similar artists is nice, but sometimes I want to just focus on a sound. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 25
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    tylersdad said:
    While these sorts of subscriptions do boost numbers, they only do so in a very small way. It is very US-centric to think that a limited offer on a single carrier in a single country is providing a meaningful boost (thousands at most.) The US currently has around half of the paid users worldwide, which is typical for the age of the service and the market roll out history, but highly indicative that the growth is coming from legitimate users and not spoon-fed promotions.
    Speaking of spoon fed promotions: Other services such as Spotify also do these, e.g. Spotify is currently free for 6 months with the latest Galaxy device.

Between Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, Amazon Music etc. All of these services largely sell identical content, and other than colour-schemes their interfaces, features and algorithms all share wide similarities. So when one reads a passionate reaction to hating one service, but loving another - it's natural to believe these opinions to lack credibility. 
    radarthekatracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Good news for Apple. Now when will Eddy Cue quit?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    tylersdad said:
    While these sorts of subscriptions do boost numbers, they only do so in a very small way. It is very US-centric to think that a limited offer on a single carrier in a single country is providing a meaningful boost (thousands at most.) The US currently has around half of the paid users worldwide, which is typical for the age of the service and the market roll out history, but highly indicative that the growth is coming from legitimate users and not spoon-fed promotions.
    Speaking of spoon fed promotions: Other services such as Spotify also do these, e.g. Spotify is currently free for 6 months with the latest Galaxy device.

Between Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, Google Music, Amazon Music etc. All of these services largely sell identical content, and other than colour-schemes their interfaces, features and algorithms all share wide similarities. So when one reads a passionate reaction to hating one service, but loving another - it's natural to believe these opinions to lack credibility. 

He was just trying to bash Apple.

Spotify has way more subscriber promotions than Apple Music such as carrier deals and free with Hulu.
    racerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    gutengel said:
    Well the points of "not looking back" is pretty weak. Apple Music is very limited, specially when it comes to the music selection. Usually there's only version of each song and most of the time is the radio version, you want the the unplugged version, good luck with that, if the artist decided to pull out of Apple Music, good luck with that. iTunes is not about convenience, is an organisational tool for your music! Instead of playing with cards and keeping the music app as simple as possible, he should be fixing integration between apple music and iTunes libraries. I still got about 20% of my library no available on my iPhone, many of those songs are unplugged or live versions, but many are just exactly the same as the Apple Music version that the service doesn't recognise because its stupid.
    I totally agree.   That is one of my two main complaints about Apple Music:

The best example I can give of that is the 1932 Benny Goodman Concert at Carnegie Hall.  It was a historic ground breaking concert where "jazz" broke through into recognized respectability -- and Benny's band that night was comprised of what would become music greats such as Harry James, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and others.

It was a truly historic event but the tapes of the concert were lost for decades.   But, when they were finally found a 2 CD set of the live concert was published -- scratches and all.  Apple has that 2 CD set on Apple Music but:  THE SONGS ARE NOT SONGS FROM THE CONCERT!  Apple replaced them with later, studio recordings performed by different people!  And, they are totally different.

I guess to Apple Music a song is a song is a song -- and it doesn't matter what arrangement it is or who performed it.  "They all look alike to me!" 

That leads me to my other complaint:   Apple replaced my music library with their versions of the same songs -- IF they even had that song in their library (if not they simply deleted it from mine).   Apple could easily correct both problems by letting me keep my library (which would include the REAL Benny Goodman concert).  But they won't.  It's an "either/or" situation - you can either have your library or Apple Music -- but not both.
    edited June 2019
  • Reply 17 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    n2itivguy said:
    There are a few suggestions I have for AM, but one aspect I’d like to see expanded is genre labeling. I’d love to be able to search for jazz fusion, acid jazz, eclectic jazz, contemporary jazz vs having to wade through just all of jazz.  Similar artists is nice, but sometimes I want to just focus on a sound. 
    Yes, good point!
    One genre could be "christmas music".   Come December I like to be able just listen to Christmas music without picking it out song by song -- but I don't want to hear those same songs in July.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,006member
    gutengel said:
    I totally agree.   That is one of my two main complaints about Apple Music:

The best example I can give of that is the 1932 Benny Goodman Concert at Carnegie Hall.  It was a historic ground breaking concert where "jazz" broke through into recognized respectability -- and Benny's band that night was comprised of what would become music greats such as Harry James, Gene Krupa, Lionel Hampton and others.

It was a truly historic event but the tapes of the concert were lost for decades.   But, when they were finally found a 2 CD set of the live concert was published -- scratches and all.  Apple has that 2 CD set on Apple Music but:  THE SONGS ARE NOT SONGS FROM THE CONCERT!  Apple replaced them with later, studio recordings performed by different people!  And, they are totally different.

I guess to Apple Music a song is a song is a song -- and it doesn't matter what arrangement it is or who performed it.  "They all look alike to me!" 

That leads me to my other complaint:   Apple replaced my music library with their versions of the same songs -- IF they even had that song in their library (if not they simply deleted it from mine).   Apple could easily correct both problems by letting me keep my library (which would include the REAL Benny Goodman concert).  But they won't.  It's an "either/or" situation - you can either have your library or Apple Music -- but not both.
    Interesting. I just searched up that album on Apple Music, and it’s playing live recordings -scratches and all- with applause from an audience. These definitely aren’t studio recordings. 

Perhaps your issue is with “music match” selecting the wrong tracks to match songs ripped from your CD. Sometimes that happens.

The Apple Music library, on the other hand, has whatever tracks are supplied by the record label. In this case, they have the 1938 live album from Columbia Records, now owned by Sony. 

If if you have both the Music Match service and Apple Music, look not in ‘your library,’ but search AM for Benny Goodman, and you’ll find that album under ‘live albums,’ and it’ll have the correct tracks. 

P.S. I thought I’d made a mismatch mistake myself, but the BG concert in question was definitely 1938, not 1932. And the correct recordings are there in Apple Music. 
    edited June 2019 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    gutengel said:
    Itunes match makes your collection available...  I am a big Pearl Jam fan and have a ton of their live albums available anytime I hit the "My music" tab in the Apple Music app? Itunes match is still $24.00 per year. So I am confused as to why 20% of your library is unavailable?

What I wish would be fixed is the AM total inability to play a live version of a song or an album version.  It drives me crazy.  I have a large live music collection in Itunes match. If I play the studio version of a song on the Apple Music side of the app it will play a random live version of the song from my iTunes match Library.. If I go to the My Music tab and play the song from the album it plays the correct studio version.  This is something that has happened from the very beginning with AM.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    tylersdadtylersdad Posts: 310member
    tylersdad said:

He was just trying to bash Apple.

Spotify has way more subscriber promotions than Apple Music such as carrier deals and free with Hulu.
    Wrong. I was bashing Apple Music, which is demonstrably worse than most of the other music streaming options. I love my other Apple products.