Apple design chief Jony Ive to depart later this year, create new studio with Apple as cli...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 186
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    And, of course, John “get off my lawn” Gruber begins the handwringing. 🤦🏻‍♂️

And everyone in the tech press kissing his ass tweeting what a great piece it was. No actually it was hot garbage.
    canukstormandrewj5790radarthekatbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 102 of 186
    indieshackindieshack Posts: 328member
    Sir Jony has long ago lost his marbles as evidenced by the Apple Watch marketing foray into designer label appearances, and thank God, no more tortuously narrated videos from him following new iPhone reveals. The whole leadership at Apple needs a revamp including removing Cook, Schiller and Cue - I'd save only Federighi.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 103 of 186
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Well Apple does know how to keep secrets. I still think all these hot takes of [insert Apple product I don’t like here] is because of Ive is a little too simplistic. John Gruber was pretty scathing in his blog post. But if you read the New Yorker profile it’s clear Ive never wanted the role of “THE product guy” at Apple. It’s everyone else crowned him that person.
    He is now one of the two most powerful people in the world’s most valuable company. He sometimes listens to CNBC Radio on his hour-long commute from San Francisco to Apple’s offices, in Silicon Valley, but he’s uncomfortable knowing that a hundred thousand Apple employees rely on his decision-making—his taste—and that a sudden announcement of his retirement would ambush Apple shareholders. (To take a number: a ten-percent drop in Apple’s valuation represents seventy-one billion dollars.) According to Laurene Powell Jobs, Steve Jobs’s widow, who is close to Ive and his family, “Jony’s an artist with an artist’s temperament, and he’d be the first to tell you artists aren’t supposed to be responsible for this kind of thing.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come
    It seems pretty clear with his working on Apple Campus and Apple Stores that he was getting bored designing computers. Which makes me wonder just how much he was involved in things like the butterfly keyboard. I doubt he spent much time at all on software design. I do wonder what will happen now. Surely Jeff Williams overseeing his teams is temporary. But I wonder if they’ll put the human interface team under software engineering and the industrial designers under hardware engineering and get rid of the CDO position for good.
     I expect that position to be phased out for good. After all, the Chief Design Officer position is not very common so in that sense, he had one foot inside Apple and the other foot outside of it. And yes, boredom does happen when creative burnout occurs. I'm sure he'll do some contractual work for Apple time to time but when it comes to some of the work, I suspect the internal design team will keep it in-house for NDA purposes. The allure of going independent as a designer or creative is very strong even though he claimed that his work with Apple is not done even though with some limits so that he can juggle between clients. The signs of him wanting to get the F out were there.

I'm curious, what were the signs? I never saw any.

I think it goes way back some time after Jobs passed away and Jony didn't have much of a sounding board from someone who speaks on his wavelength. And when Apple apparently brought Marc Newson on board, it was for that reason and to deal with the Apple Watch design and probably a few other things just so that Ive's creative juices continue to flow. So I get that and know what it's like to create without having some critique or feedback. 

Fast forward to the iPhone 6 and then on with the same design language, along with the MacBooks. Even iMacs. They seemed to not have changed much but only to a small degree. It's as if Joy was sitting there content with the design and focused on side projects outside of Apple such as the Christmas Tree, Holga(?) camera redesign for auctioning, a chair ( if I recall ), and several other things that seemed to take up his time along with the Apple Park planning. It was as if he was twiddling his thumbs, itching to do things outside of Apple's scope. 

And then the next signs were Angela Arendts exit and the industrial design team members which was a big hit. It was right there is when I smelled a big exit is in the making. If I were Jony and I see a bunch of my close design colleagues leaving Apple Park, life would get very lonely and seeing all new faces there would probably make things worse. It's that sense of creative isolation that probably drove him to decide that and also he did mention wanting to go back to England/UK. It would make sense for Jony to follow them that way.

I disagree with 3rd party projects taking a lot of time. Wasn't the Christmas tree like a weekend project?

The part with his close collaborators leaving makes sense. Why do people give Ahrendts so much credit now? She was bashed the most.
  • Reply 104 of 186
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Sell your stocks folks....
    Too right! I said the same thing when Jobs died, and since then the stock prices has dropped like a … no, hang on …

Personally, I’m using the dip to pick up more stock. 

And good old luck in your future endeavours, Mr Ive (but since you’ve already been doing a lot of design work outside of Apple, I suspect the only real difference we’ll see is how your ginormous salary is entered into the accounts). 
    edited June 2019 SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 105 of 186
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    And, of course, John “get off my lawn” Gruber begins the handwringing. 🤦🏻‍♂️
    He was gonna leave some day. Maybe these anti-Apple nerds had their articles written in advance 10 years ago just waiting for this day.

The way I see it, he watched those clowns at Beats get paid billions for their lousy (but popular) headphones and started to think, “what the hell am I doing here?”.

Are you projecting your hate for Beats? As far as I know Beats and Apple products are designed separately so he doesn't even have to interact with them
  • Reply 106 of 186
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

If you think Jony is the genius they purport him out to be then you must not know his past before we at NeXT arrived and saved Apple. The guy has a warehouse of bad ideas that went nowhere. Only after he met NeXT creative teams and Steve dictated several ideas did the ``boy genius'' surface.
    SpamSandwichSanctum1972fastasleep
  • Reply 107 of 186
    I wouldn't be surprised if he has been let go because of the MacBook Pro keyboard debacle and possibly was also unhappy to have to design a tower.
    He doesn't lead the designs. His teams do.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 108 of 186
    decondos said:
    Time for him to go. Mac Pro is either hideous or coarse retro. Apple needs to try something new.
    We all have opinions and yours about the Mac Pro is comically sad. It's a beautiful piece of engineering--what it should be.
    canukstormStrangeDaysSanctum1972fastasleep
  • Reply 109 of 186
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If you think Jony is the genius they purport him out to be then you must not know his past before we at NeXT arrived and saved Apple. The guy has a warehouse of bad ideas that went nowhere. Only after he met NeXT creative teams and Steve dictated several ideas did the ``boy genius'' surface.
    Can you name a single "genius" (or any person of any natural or trained aptitude level, for that matter) that doesn't have "a warehouse of bad ideas"?
    radarthekatStrangeDays
  • Reply 110 of 186
    Well Apple does know how to keep secrets. I still think all these hot takes of [insert Apple product I don’t like here] is because of Ive is a little too simplistic. John Gruber was pretty scathing in his blog post. But if you read the New Yorker profile it’s clear Ive never wanted the role of “THE product guy” at Apple. It’s everyone else crowned him that person.
    He is now one of the two most powerful people in the world’s most valuable company. He sometimes listens to CNBC Radio on his hour-long commute from San Francisco to Apple’s offices, in Silicon Valley, but he’s uncomfortable knowing that a hundred thousand Apple employees rely on his decision-making—his taste—and that a sudden announcement of his retirement would ambush Apple shareholders. (To take a number: a ten-percent drop in Apple’s valuation represents seventy-one billion dollars.) According to Laurene Powell Jobs, Steve Jobs’s widow, who is close to Ive and his family, “Jony’s an artist with an artist’s temperament, and he’d be the first to tell you artists aren’t supposed to be responsible for this kind of thing.” https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come
    It seems pretty clear with his working on Apple Campus and Apple Stores that he was getting bored designing computers. Which makes me wonder just how much he was involved in things like the butterfly keyboard. I doubt he spent much time at all on software design. I do wonder what will happen now. Surely Jeff Williams overseeing his teams is temporary. But I wonder if they’ll put the human interface team under software engineering and the industrial designers under hardware engineering and get rid of the CDO position for good.
    The man knows nothing about Software Design. He was a figure head leader over way too many pots. Several of my former NeXT colleagues who pioneered OS X have come back to ``fix Apple'' and the lack of consistent design and results that NeXTSTEP was known for from a mere 300 people world wide. New teams in iOS building are the old guys that lead the build structures for OS X. All sorts of people got bored, left, and some have trickled back in, and with 30+ years of every conceivable level of OS design and application development you can already see the changes happening, from the Pro Apps, sudden improvements to iWorks, revamping of the flag ship consumer apps, or did everyone think it's Craig? Craig is glad to have them all back.
    SpamSandwichSanctum1972kestral
  • Reply 111 of 186
    psych_guypsych_guy Posts: 486member
    Apple is doomed? lol
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 112 of 186
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member

What happened to those NeXT creative teams? Are many of them still at Apple?
  • Reply 113 of 186
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    The man knows nothing about Software Design. He was a figure head leader over way too many pots. Several of my former NeXT colleagues who pioneered OS X have come back to ``fix Apple'' and the lack of consistent design and results that NeXTSTEP was known for from a mere 300 people world wide. New teams in iOS building are the old guys that lead the build structures for OS X. All sorts of people got bored, left, and some have trickled back in, and with 30+ years of every conceivable level of OS design and application development you can already see the changes happening, from the Pro Apps, sudden improvements to iWorks, revamping of the flag ship consumer apps, or did everyone think it's Craig? Craig is glad to have them all back.
    What are your thoughts on Apple's Industrial Design & Software Design teams reporting to Williams, Chief Operating Officer? Seems kinda odd doesn't it?
    kestral
  • Reply 114 of 186
    Apple is not 1 person. It’s legendary design team has had little turnover in the last 2 decades. Jony trusts his peers. That’s what is important.
    I dunno, Apple’s doomed if they’re big and cash-rich, and doomed if they’re 90-days away from bankruptcy. The doom narrative will follow Apple forever. We’re celebrating over 20 years of doom, eight-years of post-Steve Jobs doom. Change is doom. Success is doom. Literally any news is doom.
    radarthekatStrangeDays
  • Reply 115 of 186
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I've feared this day and it's finally come.
    It was gonna happen sooner or later

*sniff* *sniff* I know...

The bright side is he'll still work with Apple but as a 3rd party I can imagine all the knockoff companies flooding him with orders. I can hear Samsungs champagne popping right now.
    You can be certain Apple will has him locked up with a non-compete clause in his contract, plus exclusivity for any future product categories he wishes to work with Apple on, and he will certainly wish to work with Apple on any product categories Apple is interested in.  
  • Reply 116 of 186
    Here’s Tim’s memo to employees:

• Reply 117 of 186
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    I feel that one of most pressing issue is design notch, it is a make it or break it on how apple innovation in their design and tech. It is most daunting to remove [the notch] without losing its current functionalities. The other is folding. Competitors are evolving on these fronts and looks promising, and I'm waiting to see Apple.
  • Reply 118 of 186
    Here’s what I don’t get with some of the Ive criticism. For the sake of argument let’s assume the butterfly keyboard was his idea, his baby. Was there no one inside the company who tested the keyboard or who used it at all? Was there no one to say we have a problem here? I just struggle with the notion Ive was unilaterally making decisions and nobody else had a say. I saw one tweet where someone said design was moving under operations because the products were unreliable and difficult to manufacture. OK so Jeff Williams just allowed this to go on? He never once attempted to change anything? Nor did the hardware engineers under Dan Riccio? They all just kept engineering unreliable, hard to manufacture products. How does that make any sense?
  • Reply 119 of 186

What happened to those NeXT creative teams? Are many of them still at Apple?
    I’m curious what NeXT, a software company, would have to do with industrial design.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 120 of 186
    lucasevelucaseve Posts: 18member
    Hopefully those terrible keyboards will change soon...